Should I regret this upgrade?

zaxiom

Sailing on the Getaway this Saturday (August 13th)as a solo and originally had 8112 booked for the huge balcony (without the large balcony upcharge).  This is the first cruise I will have been on so didn't think about location too much until after booking but I would tolerate some anchor noise for the balcony space.  

I finally pulled the trigger last week on an upgrade bid - $50 (x 2) for a club suite balcony.  Debated cancelling it but never did, well today I got the upgrade accepted email, but the upgrade is to a family club suite balcony.  The NCL website reads that each family club suite comes with a bathtub instead of the nicer shower head/jet setup that are in the other club suite balconies. 

I guess I'm trying to determine if a) it's true that all family suites actually have tubs - would the call center agents even know this about specific staterooms?  b) if there is any possibility of working around the "upgrades are final, period" rule?

TIA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zaxiom said:

Sailing on the Getaway this Saturday (August 13th)as a solo and originally had 8112 booked for the huge balcony (without the large balcony upcharge).  This is the first cruise I will have been on so didn't think about location too much until after booking but I would tolerate some anchor noise for the balcony space.  

I finally pulled the trigger last week on an upgrade bid - $50 (x 2) for a club suite balcony.  Debated cancelling it but never did, well today I got the upgrade accepted email, but the upgrade is to a family club suite balcony.  The NCL website reads that each family club suite comes with a bathtub instead of the nicer shower head/jet setup that are in the other club suite balconies. 

I guess I'm trying to determine if a) it's true that all family suites actually have tubs - would the call center agents even know this about specific staterooms?  b) if there is any possibility of working around the "upgrades are final, period" rule?

TIA

Upgrades are final. And family suites are in the kids section so you will have a lot of untaxed friends running up and down the hall. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look you are going on your first cruise.  You will have a great time.  It is, in my opinion, a mistake to bid on any upgrade when you are already happy with your cabin allocation.  ..  but you did.  Don't give it another thought.  

Pack your sunscreen and just enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 8

Your old room will be gone since when they upgraded you, they upgraded someone else to it.  So look at it as a lesson learned, move on, and enjoy the perks of a club family balcony.  You’ll have a blast!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Look you are going on your first cruise.  You will have a great time.  It is, in my opinion, a mistake to bid on any upgrade when you are already happy with your cabin allocation.  ..  but you did.  Don't give it another thought.  

Great advice!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, it is a lesson learned.   I got way too good a deal (booked in May) even with the upgrade to do much about it. 

For the person who asked cabin number, it is 9234.   I've tried searching the cabin information post here and on Google for any walkthroughs, no luck. 

As a brief follow-up, the room is directly above Sugarcane, which I'm guessing is one of the milder bars.  Should I expect a lot of noise from either the bar or Waterfront generally? 

• Like 1

I stayed in 8712 (same room but starboard side) on a cruise over New Years, and to be honest, the huge balcony was great but it was so windy, I really couldn't use it.  Even when I could use it, I was always smelling smoke.  I believe the crew smoke area is at the front of deck 8.  Also, the walk to those rooms is really long.

Enjoy your upgrade and your central location!

• Like 1

Enjoy the upgrade - especially the bathtub - I booked a club balcony suite on the Pearl over 12 months ago to get the bathtub as I love baths, then they advised me they were renovating these cabins so now I am stuck with a shower for 11 nights - I was not happy to lose my bath.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Exactly!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zaxiom said:

Thanks everyone, it is a lesson learned.   I got way too good a deal (booked in May) even with the upgrade to do much about it. 

For the person who asked cabin number, it is 9234.   I've tried searching the cabin information post here and on Google for any walkthroughs, no luck. 

As a brief follow-up, the room is directly above Sugarcane, which I'm guessing is one of the milder bars.  Should I expect a lot of noise from either the bar or Waterfront generally? 

You’re in luck - shower! The club balcony suites on deck 9 have showers - both the MB and M4. 

On Joy we also had family one (M4 - so called because cabin can sleep 4) and we had shower. It was on deck 12. 

On cruisedeckplans.com there is picture of shower attached to 9838 (and also 9836) on the other side of your cabin. 

C7C8A5C9-C304-4C7A-ACD0-FFC314879CC2.thumb.jpeg.5a638a31f90d3c7cab1b63e350b31a46.jpeg

ENJOY your first cruise!!

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fenny7cats said:

Enjoy the upgrade - especially the bathtub - I booked a club balcony suite on the Pearl over 12 months ago to get the bathtub as I love baths, then they advised me they were renovating these cabins so now I am stuck with a shower for 11 nights - I was not happy to lose my bath.

Pearl is entirely different (and older) ship to the Getaway. The club balcony suites on the Jewel class ships (Jewel, Jade, Pearl, Gem) are currently being renovated to replace the high sided bathtubs with showers. Also, a majority of those club balcony suites are on deck 11 which is one deck below the pool deck. Whenever we’re on a jewel class ship we don’t bother upgrading. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fenny7cats said:

Have you ever actually taken a bath on the Pearl in a mini-suite? The bath tubs always reminded me of a mummies sarcophagus. Wide at the shower end and extremely narrow at the other. They were bad enough trying to get in and out to take a shower. I always thought you'd have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the tub to take a bath. Or a very small person, like a child. Anyone with a little girth-

fuggetaboutit!!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Pearl is entirely different (and older) ship to the Getaway. The club balcony suites on the Jewel class ships (Jewel, Jade, Pearl, Gem) are currently being renovated to replace the high sided bathtubs with showers. Also, a majority of those club balcony suites are on deck 11 which is one deck below the pool deck. Whenever we’re on a jewel class ship we don’t bother upgrading. 

I agree that I would never try an upgrade to a mini-suite on a Jewel class ship because there are so many cabins you don't want to end up in. That being said, if you could choose your cabin anywhere on the starboard side under the spa, library, card room, salon, or photo gallery; and anywhere on the portside under the spa, those cabins, to me, are some of the best cabins on the ship.Just don't book under the fitness center!! Made that mistake once, and the pounding of feet on the treadmills at 6:00AM was not a welcome sound!!

• Like 1

If you really want a shower that gets all the undercarriage clean and don't have it in your stateroom, get the thermal suite pass. They have a nether regions shower that is blissful!

Sorry you lost your lovely shower, but you're going to enjoy your cruise!! Have an amazing time!

20 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Have you ever actually taken a bath on the Pearl in a mini-suite? The bath tubs always reminded me of a mummies sarcophagus. Wide at the shower end and extremely narrow at the other. They were bad enough trying to get in and out to take a shower. I always thought you'd have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the tub to take a bath. Or a very small person, like a child. Anyone with a little girth-

fuggetaboutit!!

OT since this OP is solo, but...well...you know....

Once we got a bathtub in our suite, and we thought the bathtub would be big enough to fit the two of us and it would be really romantic to hop in the bath together.   Uh...it was not quite big enough to fit two people.   And that was not a romantic experience.  Comical, but not romantic.

"Upgrades are final"

Apparently not always.

I board Saturday & someone from our sailing did call & was able to switch to a same category cabin that they were upgraded to.

The worst they can say is no!

7 hours ago, tetleytea said:

OT since this OP is solo, but...well...you know....

Once we got a bathtub in our suite, and we thought the bathtub would be big enough to fit the two of us and it would be really romantic to hop in the bath together.   Uh...it was not quite big enough to fit two people.   And that was not a romantic experience.  Comical, but not romantic.

Careful, this is a family channel!!!