Disembarking in Fort Lauderdale

Liz Masterson

I'm new to cruising our of Ft Lauderdale... or anywhere in the USA frankly...

I'm concerned with disembarking and having to go through customs and getting to the airport on time.

Can you tell me what that process is like? (I'm going to be cruising with Viking.)

Will be disembarking on January 18 and will need to get my own transportation to the FLL airport.

Thank you!!!

26 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

I'm new to cruising our of Ft Lauderdale... or anywhere in the USA frankly...

I'm concerned with disembarking and having to go through customs and getting to the airport on time.

Can you tell me what that process is like? (I'm going to be cruising with Viking.)

Will be disembarking on January 18 and will need to get my own transportation to the FLL airport.

Thank you!!!

We've sailed in and out of Port Everglades many times. It's a very civilized port  with excellent infrastructure and VERY close to the airport FLL. Some terminals now have facial recognition (I know Terminal 2 does) and you don't even talk to a Customs agent, just scan your face and when the light turns green, walk on outside.  Can't speak to other terminals where Viking sails from though. You don't say when your flight is, but many times we've been among the first off the ship, doing self walk-off, and have been waiting checked in at the gate at FLL before 8AM. Taxis are very plentiful and it's only about 15 minutes to the airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Immigration is your typical complexity, not Customs. Customs will likely be as quick as grabbing your bags and walking out of the terminal.

There will be legions of taxis outside the terminal.

Getting off the ship, you will be channeled through to Immigration (Passport check). How it goes depends a little on how Viking does their part. You will meet face to face with an agent. If Viking has bought into the biometric system, (they take a picture of you and your passport when you board, then submit that to the Immigration folks), the agent may simply aim a phone camera like device at you, and your biometrics will be match with what is already on file. If a match occurs, you will be cleared to go get your bags. It can take less than a minute.

If Viking hasn't bought into the biometric system, you will take a little longer for a passport check and comparison, and perhaps a question or two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Port Everglades and the Fort Lauderdale Airport are next to each other. It’s maybe a 10 minute ride from the ship to passenger drop-off.

Immigration and customs are usually pretty  easy, especially if you have nothing to declare (don’t bring in cash, alcohol, purchased jewelry, or tobacco above stated limits, and don’t bring in fresh produce or plants).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Are cabs always available to take us to airport?  Or are we better off arranging a car service ahead of time?  We will be disembarking 11/26, a Saturday or Thanksgiving weekend.  Any good car services you can recommend would be helpful, as well.