Visiting Dominica Dec. 2022

Beachvue

I posted this experience from before Covid, I don't have any post Covid info about it. I also was there right after things opened up last November, but we could not leave the waterfront area at that time.

Maybe someone who has been  recently will comment. I will be back myself in Feb, and hope it is running. I would definitely take the tour again. 

I don't have any photos, but if memory serves, it was a big red  bus

I picked up an open air bus tour up into the mountain right in town. It was inexpensive, maybe $20 - $25.  They were just down by the vendor tents. They had wandering salesmen trying to fill the bus, or you could just walk up and get on. 

It was a very nice trip. A woman narrated and answered questions the entire way, adding some personal anecdotes about hurricane survival, etc.

We made a couple scenic stops - waterfalls and so on. It is stunningly beautiful up there, and so cool as you get above sea level and into the rain forest.

It was around 3 hours as I recall, and definitely time well spent.  

• 1 month later...

we'll be in Dominica for the first time in November. We usually like beaches, suitable for an 11 yo kid. 

Any recommendations? If beaches are not recommended, what other things can we do? I am only now starting to research, so I'll be reading a lot of this subforum, but it does look like most of the info is prepandemic, of course.

On 9/16/2022 at 8:36 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we'll be in Dominica for the first time in November. We usually like beaches, suitable for an 11 yo kid. 

Any recommendations? If beaches are not recommended, what other things can we do? I am only now starting to research, so I'll be reading a lot of this subforum, but it does look like most of the info is prepandemic, of course.

The only decent beach close to the port is Mero… About 30 minutes by cab…. PreCOVID fare was $25 e/w

Beach was clean with gentle sea…  $10 gets 2 Sun-loungers and an umbrella, some may have seen better days, but who cares…Restaurants and bars beach side… 

The view out to sea is exceptional.

One’s outward cab will be happy to be booked for the return to ship.

link

https://discoverdominica.com/en/places/150/mero-beach

Edited by PORT ROYAL
View
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Dominica on the QM2 in November. My DH is dealing with some unexpected mobility issues but we're still hoping to get on the ship.

I'd love more information about the "open air bus tour". Is it mostly just a driving tour with commentary? Do you know if there's any schedule - like when to go find it at the vendor area? Was the price you mentioned US dollars or EC$?

I've also though about just taking one of the minibuses around to Soufriere or Scott's Beach and back - just to see the island from the bus. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Our ship docked in Roseau.  Just across the street from the port is the Visitors Center.  We stopped in and asked about a tour to the interior part of the Island.   My sister and I took a private tour which lasted a little over 2 hours.  We went to Trafalgar Falls, Sulphur Hot springs, drove through the Botanical Gardens. The drive to the Rainforest and the falls was beautiful.  It’s a very mountainous island.   Along the way the driver was very informative about the history of the Island.   You can customize a tour to your liking.   The cost per person was $40.00, which you can negotiate.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 8:03 AM, Beachvue said:

Our ship docked in Roseau.  Just across the street from the port is the Visitors Center.  We stopped in and asked about a tour to the interior part of the Island.   My sister and I took a private tour which lasted a little over 2 hours.  We went to Trafalgar Falls, Sulphur Hot springs, drove through the Botanical Gardens. The drive to the Rainforest and the falls was beautiful.  It’s a very mountainous island.   Along the way the driver was very informative about the history of the Island.   You can customize a tour to your liking.   The cost per person was $40.00, which you can negotiate.  

Did you have time to swim or just see the falls and hot springs. Trying to find a tour where you can actually go in the water as well as seeing them

58 minutes ago, funtoocruise said:

Did you have time to swim or just see the falls and hot springs. Trying to find a tour where you can actually go in the water as well as seeing them

58 minutes ago, funtoocruise said:

Did you have time to swim or just see the falls and hot springs. Trying to find a tour where you can actually go in the water as well as