Hosting a Social On Board

Denny01

A question for someone who has done this. We are on an Oct ‘22 TA on the Edge. On the Roll Call, I volunteered to host a Chocolate Tasting, asking each to bring a goodie from their hometown or where they are traveling to share. Just a time to socialize, snack away and have the ship staff provide a waitstaff to take drink/wine orders.

I understand I need to work this once I get on board, and will have 5 days prior, to get it set up. I’d need a private room for 30-40+ people maybe more as we get closer, a few tables and a waitstaff person to check on us.

So if anyone has done something similar, please give me some advice on who to talk to, and how to set it up. I’ll have everyone’s SR number and right now, first names and I’ll need to get them notice of when/where. Do I give the list to the ship and the notes to put at the SR. Do I just do it myself and leave notes…thats OK? And clean up after?

So any pointers would be helpful.

Den

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

A question for someone who has done this. We are on an Oct ‘22 TA on the Edge. On the Roll Call, I volunteered to host a Chocolate Tasting, asking each to bring a goodie from their hometown or where they are traveling to share. Just a time to socialize, snack away and have the ship staff provide a waitstaff to take drink/wine orders.

I understand I need to work this once I get on board, and will have 5 days prior, to get it set up. I’d need a private room for 30-40+ people maybe more as we get closer, a few tables and a waitstaff person to check on us.

So if anyone has done something similar, please give me some advice on who to talk to, and how to set it up. I’ll have everyone’s SR number and right now, first names and I’ll need to get them notice of when/where. Do I give the list to the ship and the notes to put at the SR. Do I just do it myself and leave notes…thats OK? And clean up after?

Den

You would need to speak to guest relations or the Captain's Club Host to arrange a room.  They will tell you availability time and place.  No difference between this and a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet.  You need to do the coordination of guest notifications.   Pretty easy to call their cabins or leave notes.  Notes are tough as cabin numbers change.

Getting waitstaff for drinks is a new one for me.  Probably could set up.in an area near a bar.  

• Thanks 1

We have done this type of thing previously and we arranged it with the Event Coordinator.  
We however did not require a waitstaff.  Surprisingly we did a wine tasting ( 3 ships had said no in previous sailings) and expected to get a no.  They gave us use of a Conference Room for 2 hrs and provided glass ware, pitchers of water and napkins.  We rearranged the tables and had about 35 people.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

We did this on the 2019 TA. I had a meeting with The Event Coordinator on board (the wonderful Gabriella - pic attached - yes it was also Haloween) and she arranged everything. The event was held in Blu between 1400 and 16.00. The ship provided tea, coffee and juice. Plates,  cutlery  and a few savories. All the cleaning up was done by the crew. One of the also brought a supply of Party Bags and after the tasting we made up gifts for people who don't normally get things including: room stewards, guest relations, the ladies in the theatre cloakrooms and our choice was the night cleaner who hoovered outside the shops on Deck 5. We had 40 participants and each one brought about 5 pounds of chocolate. We called it the Godiva Group.P1140372.thumb.JPG.a8cf5bac13f4e485d35ed597378f4bbd.JPG

16 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Den,

Hold it in your Iconic Suite, that way the Butler will take care of everything for you, soup to nuts!  LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Great idea! I’ll just charge each person the price difference between me booking the Iconic and the Inside standard SR I had planned on!!

Maybe I was wrong about asking for more post about hosting, and we should stick with postings about Covid!!!

den

I’m on this cruise with you, Den, but as it’s my first time participating in a roll call, I can’t be of much assistance with ideas for this, sorry!  I will though have some great and unique chocolates only found in Boston!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’m on this cruise with you, Den, but as it’s my first time participating in a roll call, I can’t be of much assistance with ideas for this, sorry!  I will though have some great and unique chocolates only found in Boston!

Perfect - Chocolate from Boston!! Does each one have a wrapper with a nasty response on it, such as ‘Are Your Going to Open Me Up or What?!?”

We may bring masks too….Halloween masks this time!!! 

Den

• Haha 1

It sounds like a fun idea!

I expect that your biggest problem (assuming the event is approved) would be getting the waiter.  That's just because of the staffing shortages at the moment.  I doubt they have a number of bar staff in the bullpen. 

Who knows, though?  Maybe someone would be willing to work during a break for some serious tips.

Denny ~ I've had multiple business meetings on ships and I'll be happy to share (many have already recommended the event coordinator and that is the correct person).  I'll respond more over the weekend.

A reminder to all that when responding, please stick to the topic at hand only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Perfect - Chocolate from Boston!! Does each one have a wrapper with a nasty response on it, such as ‘Are Your Going to Open Me Up or What?!?”

We may bring masks too….Halloween masks this time!!! 

Den

LOL I’ll see what I can do!  But if you see a guy at the social wearing a “wicked smaht Boston” t-shirt, that’s me.

Edited by LGW59
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

LOL I’ll see what I can do!  But if you see a guy at the social wearing a “wicked smaht Boston” t-shirt, that’s me.

I root for two teams: The BelovedDodgers and Any team that is playing the HatedYankees! 

And thank you @Host Anne that would be Great!! I’ll be waiting. And appreciate the reminder to all of us. I should have used the Report, but it has got soooo tiring on threads being hijacked into That Subject. I see its taken care of. 

Den

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Is it too late for me to sign up for this sailing???

It sounds like it will be a blast, even if only for the social gathering...

Cheers and bon voyage

A great cruise and a Great Roll Call. Lots of other things to do being added. thats one reason I love TA’s…active Roll Calls that set up meetings for games, craft, book readings, cabin crawls, socials and of course the private tours organizing……great way to meet others. Done on other itineraries, but TA’s allow much more interactions. 

Den

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

A great cruise and a Great Roll Call. Lots of other things to do being added. thats one reason I love TA’s…active Roll Calls that set up meetings for games, craft, book readings, cabin crawls, socials and of course the private tours organizing……great way to meet others. Done on other itineraries, but TA’s allow much more interactions. 

Den

Sorry in my earlier post (6) I missed the question about a drinks waiter. The ship was unable to provide this service. We also asked for a chocolate fountain but this was also refused. The ship chose Blu because it doesn't serve lunch which meant the staff had ample time after 4 pm to get the restaurant ready for dinner service. 

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Good to know @Penguins  that helps. 

A pleasure. I also have the full list of the items we discussed with Gabriella and I would be pleased to email it to you . I gave her this list at our first meeting and she said it helped. The other thing we did, although it may not be practical for you, was because we were B2B, I talked to Gabriella on behalf of the actual organiser during that cruise so everything was fixed before the TA started. Although I said the group size was 40 my notes show it was over 50. The whole Roll Call was very active including 2 book groups, 80 on the Slot Pull, a huge cabin crawl and lots of other things. My email is geoffanita at hotmail dot com.  Geoff 

• Like 1