Rotterdam Port Change

mjdenn

14 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Please be kind enough to open that e-mail properly. That letter IS in the e-mail. AND you will receive US$ 50 per persoon OBC too. All of course IF you booked definitely one of the cruises concerned, betweeen now and October 2nd. 

My Hal mail said nothing about obc but just got a mail from my cruise agent with noticed the obc.

I think it is a nice gesture!

And I am glad Hal and cruise agent send a e-mail to inform.

That make the chance less that people not are knowing the change for next Sunday.

Edited by SweetsugarNL
  • Thanks 1

Here  is a copy of the email I received from HAL.

If you follow the link mentioned you will get all the details.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
Please be advised that embarkation and disembarkation for your Rotterdam cruise
departing on Sunday, August 28, will now take place in Rotterdam rather than in
Amsterdam as scheduled. Cruise Terminal Rotterdam is located at Wilhelminakade
699, 3072 AP Rotterdam.
Guests with Holland America Line pre-cruise hotels or transfers will be taken
directly to the pier in Rotterdam.
For more information regarding directions, parking information, and public
transportation, please visit: https://*****/Y261EMB
We look forward to welcoming you on board.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I wonder why I have been humming 'Beautiful South' music for the last few days??

"This could be Rotterdam or anywhere
Liverpool or Rome
'Cause Rotterdam is anywhere
Anywhere alone"

Me too!  

22 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Did you open the letter of HAL? In that letter they explain why all systems still mention AMS. 

What is the purpose of this question? Did you read my post?

Where have I questioned their systems?  In fact, I actually mention that my app has NOW been updated to show Rotterdam.

Yes, If you open the short link they provide in their letter to parking, directions and Public transportation it does mention OBC and all of the reasons. Not a well written email given I needed none of that information. Click here for a detailed explanation would have been a more inviting link. 

C4C65410-2B01-489F-8073-E5A827646619.jpeg

Edited by colin v

26 minutes ago, colin v said:

What is the purpose of this question? Did you read my post?

Where have I questioned their systems?  In fact, I actually mention that my app has NOW been updated to show Rotterdam.

Yes, If you open the short link they provide in their letter to parking, directions and Public transportation it does mention OBC and all of the reasons. Not a well written email given I needed none of that information. Click here for a detailed explanation would have been a more inviting link. 

C4C65410-2B01-489F-8073-E5A827646619.jpeg

Just because you said this (and no other reason):  "They didn’t mention any financial compensation but we don’t expect any. "   You already noticed that they did mention a financial compensation. That's all 😉 

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but while we are on the subject - 

We sail Sept 25 and did not book HAL transfers (didn't think it worth it for AMS), but now with the change to Rotterdam, we can still book the transfer at $39 pp, which seems like a decent deal since they would have to get us to Rotterdam now. We haven't spent much time yet reviewing (just got the notice last night), but at $39, it seems like a no-brainer to book Hal transfers or am i missing something?

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but while we are on the subject - 

We sail Sept 25 and did not book HAL transfers (didn't think it worth it for AMS), but now with the change to Rotterdam, we can still book the transfer at $39 pp, which seems like a decent deal since they would have to get us to Rotterdam now. We haven't spent much time yet reviewing (just got the notice last night), but at $39, it seems like a no-brainer to book Hal transfers or am i missing something?

No, you donot miss anything. Maybe that it has to be booked a number of days before sailingdate.  And HAL asks you to mention the arrival flight. (Maybe someone knows the importance.) 

5 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

No, you donot miss anything. Maybe that it has to be booked a number of days before sailingdate.  And HAL asks you to mention the arrival flight. (Maybe someone knows the importance.) 

Thanks. We went ahead and booked it.

We were originally OK doing the transfers to AMS port, but now, coming in on an overnight flight, the potential airport chaos we may meet with things the way they are, and now this change, seems well worth the $39 pp.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Thanks. We went ahead and booked it.

We were originally OK doing the transfers to AMS port, but now, coming in on an overnight flight, the potential airport chaos we may meet with things the way they are, and now this change, seems well worth the $39 pp.

I think it is easier to go on that transfer then take te train and metro in Rotterdam.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

I saw on facebook a letter from a travelcompany what says their clients get $50 obc for the august 21 cruise.

Dont get that letter myself. Only a e mail from HAL. Nothing from my cruiseagent.

There is a link in the first email.  The second email addresses the 50 PP credit which we are getting.

11 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Why took it so long?

I'm not sure. We had to lime up outside the terminal before we got in. That took about 20 minutes. Then they had people checking boarding passes before they would send you to the waiting area. After we waited about 35 minutes, they sent us to the vaccine and covid test inspection area. That took more than a half hour. Then I had to present my boarding pass one more time for scanning. I arrived at the cruise terminal at 11:00 and was on the ship at 12:50pm.

HAL are giving all affected passengers $50 OBC as a "goodwill gesture".  I do understand that under the booking conditions HAL are not obliged to provide any compensation for the itinerary changes from Amsterdam to Rotterdam.  However, I thought that they were obliged to refund any difference in port taxes/fees - just as they can pass on any increases in those fees.

From what I've found online it would seem that the Rotterdam port fees are a fair bit lower than Amsterdam, plus Rotterdam don't charge the daily tourist tax (8 euros per person, per 24hrs or part of).  I haven't seen the port fees mentioned anywhere in connection with this relocation of sailings.

Also I would be interested to know whether HAL volunteered to relocate their sailings to Rotterdam or if they were given no choice by the Amsterdam port authority, or if it was a process of negotiation.  It isn't that no cruise ships can access Amsterdam, it's that numbers have been limited - so someone, somewhere has had to decide which can stay and which have to go.  I would have expected that whether it was voluntary or compulsory, some measure of incentive or compensation would be involved.

With the difference in port fees and any possible financial agreement between the port authority and the affected cruise lines, I wonder whether HAL's "goodwill gesture" is actually costing them anything.

28 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

plus Rotterdam don't charge the daily tourist tax (8 euros per person, per 24hrs or part of).  I haven't seen the port fees mentioned anywhere in connection with this relocation of sailings.

One mistake in your text is enough for me not to look for more. 

This is text concerning the tax to be paid in Amsterdam:

"Sea cruise ship C moors at Passenger Terminal Amsterdam with 3,000 TURNAROUND passengers who disembark the same day and for whom Amsterdam is the end of the cruise. Before the passengers leave for Schiphol Airport, they visit Amsterdam. On the same day, another 3,000 passengers come on board for whom Amsterdam is the start of their cruise.

You'll have to file a declaration but do not have to pay Day Tourist Tax.

Explanation: This example involves only TURNAROUND passengers. Day Tourist Tax is charged only for TRANSIT passengers. "

41 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

HAL are giving all affected passengers $50 OBC as a "goodwill gesture".  I do understand that under the booking conditions HAL are not obliged to provide any compensation for the itinerary changes from Amsterdam to Rotterdam.  However, I thought that they were obliged to refund any difference in port taxes/fees - just as they can pass on any increases in those fees.

From what I've found online it would seem that the Rotterdam port fees are a fair bit lower than Amsterdam, plus Rotterdam don't charge the daily tourist tax (8 euros per person, per 24hrs or part of).  I haven't seen the port fees mentioned anywhere in connection with this relocation of sailings.

Also I would be interested to know whether HAL volunteered to relocate their sailings to Rotterdam or if they were given no choice by the Amsterdam port authority, or if it was a process of negotiation.  It isn't that no cruise ships can access Amsterdam, it's that numbers have been limited - so someone, somewhere has had to decide which can stay and which have to go.  I would have expected that whether it was voluntary or compulsory, some measure of incentive or compensation would be involved.

With the difference in port fees and any possible financial agreement between the port authority and the affected cruise lines, I wonder whether HAL's "goodwill gesture" is actually costing them anything.

The taxes and port fees for the full 7 day cruise are only $110 per person. Can't imagine a savings of greater than $50 with just one port change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

However, I thought that they were obliged to refund any difference in port taxes/fees

Are they?

In EU (and probably UK) consumer laws, the price must include taxes and fees.  I understand that the HAL confirmation does show the separate tax element (as does the booking engine), but is this not for N. American customers?  

Anyway, if we get a credit for reduced taxes and fees, great.  If not, then no problem.

p.s. you forgot to mention that as the ship will not use the Ijmuiden locks twice there should be a further saving there as there is probably a hefty charge for using them.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

One mistake in your text is enough for me not to look for more. 

This is text concerning the tax to be paid in Amsterdam:

"Sea cruise ship C moors at Passenger Terminal Amsterdam with 3,000 TURNAROUND passengers who disembark the same day and for whom Amsterdam is the end of the cruise. Before the passengers leave for Schiphol Airport, they visit Amsterdam. On the same day, another 3,000 passengers come on board for whom Amsterdam is the start of their cruise.

You'll have to file a declaration but do not have to pay Day Tourist Tax.

Explanation: This example involves only TURNAROUND passengers. Day Tourist Tax is charged only for TRANSIT passengers. "

Some passengers will be in transit.  Several of the 7-night itineraries are also sold as 14-night and had Amsterdam as a port day, eg 'Best of Norway'.

26 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Are they?

In EU (and probably UK) consumer laws, the price must include taxes and fees.  I understand that the HAL confirmation does show the separate tax element (as does the booking engine), but is this not for N. American customers?  

Anyway, if we get a credit for reduced taxes and fees, great.  If not, then no problem.

p.s. you forgot to mention that as the ship will not use the Ijmuiden locks twice there should be a further saving there as there is probably a hefty charge for using them.😉

As I said, I thought they were.  

I'm not complaining about anything to do with this situation - as I said, I'm just wondering.  I've got an inquisitive mind!

6 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I've got an inquisitive mind!

I have one of those too!  It is a curse sometimes.........

Just promise me that you won't start taking the ship apart to see how it works 🤣🤣😉

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

Some passengers will be in transit.  Several of the 7-night itineraries are also sold as 14-night and had Amsterdam as a port day, eg 'Best of Norway'.

peanuts.

I think it's a good deal if it's still only $39. Or have they increased it since Rotterdam is quite  a bit further away? Using public transportation seems like it's going to be a hassle since it takes 2 legs to get from Rotterdam to Amsterdam.  We are returning on 9/11 and don't have transfers for the return. We have them for getting to the ship.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, MAVIP said:

I think it's a good deal if it's still only $39. Or have they increased it since Rotterdam is quite  a bit further away? Using public transportation seems like it's going to be a hassle since it takes 2 legs to get from Rotterdam to Amsterdam.  We are returning on 9/11 and don't have transfers for the return. We have them for getting to the ship.

2 hours ago, sweetpeppergirl said:

I just checked for our Sept 25 cruise and it is still priced at $39. I wonder if they are not raising it as a matter of goodwill. We booked both in and out at that price and think it will be well worth it.

54 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I just checked for our Sept 25 cruise and it is still priced at $39. I wonder if they are not raising it as a matter of goodwill. We booked both in and out at that price and think it will be well worth it.

IMO not much of a difference in price for hiring a bus from AMS or RTM cruise terminal. Kilometers are of less importance than personnel and the bus itself. It is a long time ago, but I hired buses myself a few times. No difference whether we used them the whole day in the neighbourhood or driving to a neighbouring country.