On board coral Princess now

1 minute ago, Belmont Babe said:

That is not my experience on the Coral Princess recently. $88 for 12 days if purchased before the cruise ( for 1 device) versus $120 charged on board, and was told this was 50% off for elite.

Are you an elite member?

It seems there are different versions from Princess. I'm going on the Coral in January and will follow up with a few questions. 

Edited by Aus Traveller

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Even stranger and stranger. Maybe someone who is on board can go along to the internet cafe and see if they can get an answer to our question.

For upcoming cruise it is 74.25 for 1 device with 50% off for 11 nights.

15 minutes ago, Belmont Babe said:

Yes. It would have been $240 if I wasn't.

I was wondering if the difference in the prices quoted is because you are paying in NZ dollars when I have been talking about AUD. That doesn't explain why you were told it would be more expensive if bought on board.

Just now, resordanis said:

I am going to wait! Price is ok, but not sure I need it for a coastal cruise. Liked it much better when we got free minutes though.

We aren't bothering with internet on coastal cruises and won't even bother if our next one actually gets out to Vila. However, I need it for the World Cruise. I will be asking for details from the staff at the internet cafe on board.

1.   Price per day with Elite discount?

2.   Is the price the same if it is bought on board compared with pre-buying?

3.   Someone told me that the wi-fi covered by the package does not allow use of the on-board computers. This sounds strange to me but I will ask anyway?

• Like 1

Just now, resordanis said:

I am going to wait! Price is ok, but not sure I need it for a coastal cruise. Liked it much better when we got free minutes though.

A friend on board pointed out to me that you could get reception for your mobile if not in airplane mode for most of the last 2 cruises (that was when he was on board) It was always better on the coast side of the ship, especially out side.

Just now, yes!yes!yes! said:

A friend on board pointed out to me that you could get reception for your mobile if not in airplane mode for most of the last 2 cruises (that was when he was on board) It was always better on the coast side of the ship, especially out side.

This is a trap. Mobile phone will switch over to the ship's system and unless you look carefully before using the phone, you could be hit with a big bill. We used our phone when we were tied up in Cairns, but checked to make sure it had the 4G symbol in the upper right-hand corner.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I was wondering if the difference in the prices quoted is because you are paying in NZ dollars when I have been talking about AUD. That doesn't explain why you were told it would be more expensive if bought on board.

Yes, now you mention it, the $88 was what I was going to be charged in NZ dollars if I bought it preboarding. Because we had so much OBC I waited and bought it on board and paid $ AUD120. (Or rather Princess paid themselves, and I held on to my own money)

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

This is a trap. Mobile phone will switch over to the ship's system and unless you look carefully before using the phone, you could be hit with a big bill. We used our phone when we were tied up in Cairns, but checked to make sure it had the 4G symbol in the upper right-hand corner.

I never used it. I kept mine on airplane mode except on land.

1 minute ago, Belmont Babe said:

Yes, now you mention it, the $88 was what I was going to be charged in NZ dollars if I bought it preboarding. Because we had so much OBC I waited and bought it on board and paid $ AUD120. (Or rather Princess paid themselves, and I held on to my own money)

Was $120 debited to your on-board account for ten days' internet? From what I was told this afternoon by the Princess call centre, the amount should be AUD$77.94 for 12 days, charged @ half of $12.99 per day. Still puzzling. Could it possibly be that you didn't sign up for internet on the first day (so didn't pay for the whole 12 days) and that the $120 was before the 50% discount? Just speculating here trying to make sense of the different figures. I worked out the other anomaly - NZ dollars not AUD, but this one is still a puzzle.

39 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean "buy whole day". I wouldn't be planning to buy a part day. The price I was quoted is $12.99 less 50% discount per day.

Someone told me recently that if you buy the drinks/wifi package you can't use Princess' on-board computers. I couldn't see that this would be true and I didn't think about asking Jamie from Princess about it. What does anyone else know?

I thought they charged per day much more than taking the package of $7.50 each but you had to pay fir every day if Voyage. I’ll investigate 

3 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I thought they charged per day much more than taking the package of $7.50 each but you had to pay fir every day if Voyage. I’ll investigate 

I'm happy if it is every day of the voyage, but the key points I want to clear up are -

1. Cost per day, with and without the 50% elite discount

2. Is it any cheaper to buy before the cruise (I don't want the 50% discount added to my OBC)

3. Does the wi-fi package include use of the Internet Cafe computers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I'm happy if it is every day of the voyage, but the key points I want to clear up are -

2. Is it any cheaper to buy before the cruise (I don't want the 50% discount added to my OBC)

I’ll be watching for the answers🥰

I forgot to mention this before, but if you are a smoker, (I'm not) the cigarettes for sale behind the bar at the international cafe are only $12.00 Australian per packet For Winfield 25's and a few other brands. A limit of 2 packets per day.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Was $120 debited to your on-board account for ten days' internet? From what I was told this afternoon by the Princess call centre, the amount should be AUD$77.94 for 12 days, charged @ half of $12.99 per day. Still puzzling. Could it possibly be that you didn't sign up for internet on the first day (so didn't pay for the whole 12 days) and that the $120 was before the 50% discount? Just speculating here trying to make sense of the different figures. I worked out the other anomaly - NZ dollars not AUD, but this one is still a puzzle.

Signed up before we left port in Sydney, 12 days, $120 debited to my onboard account with the 50% discount, so $10 (exactly) a day.

52 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have had that happen. I thought as we were near the coast and had signal I could use, but found out the hard way, this was not the case!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Belmont Babe said:

Signed up before we left port in Sydney, 12 days, $120 debited to my onboard account with the 50% discount, so $10 (exactly) a day.

Wow! I wonder why this happened? I will keep searching down this rabbit hole. In my years cruising with Princess I have found they are consistent in one aspect - their inconsistency. However, I thought on something like internet costs, there wouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I forgot to mention this before, but if you are a smoker, (I'm not) the cigarettes for sale behind the bar at the international cafe are only $12.00 Australian per packet For Winfield 25's and a few other brands. A limit of 2 packets per day.

And it's the same $12.00 for 20's (Marlboro and others) and 25's(Winfield) but if you smoke menthol you are out of luck, they don't sell them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I have had that happen. I thought as we were near the coast and had signal I could use, but found out the hard way, this was not the case!

No global roaming active on ours when we go cruising, just to be sure.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Following, following & following.

Thank you

I learned something about the medallion app and internet on the ship today. It is 59 days to my next cruise so I tried to select an arrival time on my medallion app. It kept coming up with an error message when I tried to access the personal information section for that cruise, so I went to see the internet people for advice. Apparently you cannot access that section for another cruise using the app while using medallion net internet access on the ship. You have to wait until you have normal mobile data access or off-ship wifi access.

• Like 2