Back After 10 Years

Joc123

Our first and last SS cruise was on Shadow in 2013 and sadly we were less than impressed - remember the food stored in crew cabins saga? That’s the cruise we were on!

We were Seabourn sailors prior and have been since but over the last 3 years we have been stuck on land.

During this period, we have booked 6 cruises with Seabourn (always hoping things would settle down) and 6 cruises have been cancelled (5 by Seabourn, 1 we changed our mind). The last cancellation (Venice - Dover July 2023) is the one that has us coming back to SS - Seabourn have chartered the ship!

We have found a very similar itinerary May 2023 Venice - Barcelona and although it’s probably a little earlier than we wanted, it’s on the Moon which looks to be a lovely ship. It’s already heavily booked and can only get a suite on deck 6 (637)- any thoughts about this? Should we try/ hope for an upgrade?

On this trip we will be staying overnight in Monte Carlo for the Grand Prix. Does anyone know if SS usually have any packages for the race? We are not car racing fans but it’s such an iconic event, if we are there, we should enjoy the experience.

Any advise will be appreciated.

8 hours ago, Joc123 said:

It’s already heavily booked and can only get a suite on deck 6 (637)- any thoughts about this? Should we try/ hope for an upgrade?

As a passenger who has only sailed SS once in their life, why would you expect the possibility of an upgrade for booking a suite on deck 6?

Sorry I obviously didn’t explain myself - I definitely don’t expect to be given an upgrade.

I was wondering if an upgrade became available due to a cancellation, should we pay for it or are the larger suites not really worth the extra.

I guess it’s a personal thing, just interested in what people who know the ship think.

Please don’t think we want everything for nothing, we don’t.

637 on the Moon is a very desirable location, I would fight not to be moved from that cabin.

All the verandah cabins are the same, they are only labelled and priced differently according to location. A silver suite would be an upgrade but I wouldn't bother when you have such a great cabin already.

And the 2013 Shadow is not even in the same league as the new Moon. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Joc123 said:

Sorry I obviously didn’t explain myself - I definitely don’t expect to be given an upgrade.

I was wondering if an upgrade became available due to a cancellation, should we pay for it or are the larger suites not really worth the extra.

I guess it’s a personal thing, just interested in what people who know the ship think.

Please don’t think we want everything for nothing, we don’t.

No offence taken. We only have 100 days on SS and have been offered upgrades however, you are right, the cost was prohibitive so we turned them down, you are in a great location, enjoy. 

45 minutes ago, fudge said:

No offence taken. We only have 100 days on SS and have been offered upgrades however, you are right, the cost was prohibitive so we turned them down, you are in a great location, enjoy. 

Unless policy and practices have changed under RCL ownership Silversea wasn’t into last minute discounted upgrades.   Yes they will or would  upgrade you but for the full fare difference between your booked cabin and a higher level cabin.  Moving within the general verandah categories of classic, superior, and deluxe is not much of an upgrade in my mind.   Moving up to say a Silver Suite would be but the cost difference is pretty significant.  The only no charge “upgrade” I know of is when there has been a maintenance issue…usually plumbing related….and the passengers were relocated. 

Nice itinerary.  If you look at the SS website you will see there’s a Grandstand package listed in the itineraries for this sailing.  It is payable in advance and non-refundable. With the same risk you can easily purchase VIP packages online or just Grandstand.  Pricing is bound to be less than what SS is offering.  

6 hours ago, Joc123 said:

I was wondering if an upgrade became available due to a cancellation, should we pay for

Okay. Thank you for the clarification.

My confusion stemmed from the question  “Should we try/ hope for an upgrade?” as the term “upgrade” tends to imply a better product for free, i.e. I was upgraded from coach to first class.  Now I understand your question was merely wondering whether paying for a larger suite, i.e. Silver from a Deluxe Veranda is worth it.

Like food, you’ll find such a question is highly subjective and hence, you should expect the same from the responses you receive.  Only you can determine if double the living space is worth more than double the price.

Thank you everyone for the information, very helpful.

We usually sail on upper decks, hence the concern, but it seems deck 6 will be fine.

We are really looking forward to sailing on this beautiful ship.

As far as the GP goes, our days of sitting all day in the sun are over, so probably won’t book that.

8 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

At least it’s mid-ship and a lower deck in the event of rough seas.  Location above La Dolce Vita could be problematic, though. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

No, should be no noise problem at all

• Like 1