Majestic Princess to Alaska or Caribbean Princess to Canada / New England?

Kitty Ellas Mom

When I lost my June 2022 Alaska group cruise due to a family emergency I immediately rebooked 2 cruises for 2023.  One is the same ship and itinerary I originally was on, Majestic to Alaska doing Vancouver to Whittier 7 day for early August 2023, but completely solo instead of with the large group I was supposed to originally be with.  I also booked the next group cruise with that group that I could manage, which was Sept 2023 Caribbean Princess Canada / New England going from NYC to Quebec, and a 10 day.  I will only do one, and it will be my first cruise.  I'm finding that I am not leaning more towards one than the other;  I have until about. May to decide. This will be a gift to myself for dealing with many very difficult family situations of the past few years, and I haven't been able to travel solo for many years.

I'm finding myself feeling lonely thinking about doing Alaska completely alone, but it's that or take my family of 5, which I'm not willing to pay for Alaska without having checked out what cruising is like first.  The original idea I had was to go on this group cruise b/c I could be solo, which is a way of traveling I love, but I wouldn't be 100% alone b/c there would be group activities I could join.  But the Caribbean Princess cruise is so long, at 10 days, that if I find cruising not to my liking it would be a long time to be on a ship. (If I do the Alaska I will arrive several days early so it will be the same length / cost as the longer cruise.)  Other considerations:  very expensive and long flights from the US east coast to Alaska, but if I go to the NYC departure all I have to do is take the train a few hours.  I really like the idea of not having to deal with airplanes before the cruise;  I would have to fly home from Quebec but the cost is far less than getting home from Anchorage.

Honestly I've wondered if I should scrap all of these plans and do something like a few days in the Caribbean to be my first cruise instead--something very traditional cruising.  But I'm constrained by the school year which is about to start for my 3 kids, DH just had surgery, and spring break is already spoken for.  So....next summer is probably the earliest I can go anywhere, and I don't want to do a warm weather cruise in the summer b/c I don't do heat well. That's another thing:  the Sept cruise is during school, which is probably doable, but might be difficult for DH.  That might be the deciding factor eventually.  I'd appreciate thoughts from cruisers who've been on these ships / itineraries.  Right now they still seem equal to me in many ways.  Thanks!

@Kitty Ellas MomYou are already on the right track.  For me, making a list to compare the pros and cons works well.  I have been to Alaska many times but FLL to Quebec will be my first.  I love the Grand Class ships (Caribbean) verses the Royal Class (Majestic).  Air is a major consideration.  Flying is definitely a bothersome necessity.  Either a difficult trip from to and from Alaska or getting back from Quebec.

7 or 10 days, I would go for the 10 days.  Have you been to the ports on the East Coast?  Have you ever been to Alaska?  

I have cruised solo and did not find it hard to do.  You may have a different experience since you still have a house full of people.  I love being able to do what I want when.  I also have a cabin mate when timing is right.  

Will your DH be able to manage getting 3 off to school for a week?  Are they old enough to take care of themselves?  Do you have his blessing to leave him alone with the kids?

I have found Alaska to be more commercialized that I would like it to be.  You will have to take some excursions to see the real Alaska.  Does the Majestic do Glacier Bay?  I have done independent excursions in Alaska by myself.  It is safe.  

I know I've presented a lot of questions.  You have the advantage of starting early in your planning. Good luck.

The two cruise itineraries are very different. I have sailed both and enjoyed them both. I have sailed Alaska several times. I will be repeating the Canada/New England this fall. You really need to look at the differences between them and decide which one works better for you.

The Canada/New England cruise is very port intensive. The nine days (not including embarkation or disembarkation days) includes eight port days and only one sea day. The main attractions of this cruise are the visits to the ports. Take a look at the description of the ports and the shore excursions on the Princess website. You will discover if you like cruising. However, if you don't enjoy the time on the ship, you won't be on the ship that much.

The Alaska cruise has only three ports between Vancouver and Whittier, so the six days (not including embarkation or disembarkation days) includes three port days and three sea days. The main attractions of this cruise are not the ports - they are the scenery in Glacier Bay and College Fjord. You may also look at the descriptions of the ports and shore excursions on the Princess website. Personally, I love sea days, but you don't know yet.

The three ports on the Alaska cruise are completely cruise tourism dependent. You will find several large ships docked at a small town, completely overwhelming the size of the town. The ports on the Canada/New England cruise are not near as cruise tourism dependent. You will not find as many large ships there as in the Alaska ports.

The season for Canada/New England cruises is much shorter than the season for Alaska cruises, and there aren't as many ships doing that itinerary. If you take the Canada/New England cruise first and enjoy it, it will be much easier to book an Alaska cruise later than vice versa.

The Majestic Princess is a newer ship - built in 2017. The Caribbean Princess is a much older ship - built in 2004 and refurbished in 2019. The Majestic Princess is a larger ship - 143,700 tons compared to 112,894 tons for the Caribbean Princess and 3,560 passengers compared to 3,140 passengers on the Caribbean Princess.

I can't give you a fair comparison of the two ships. The Caribbean Princess is one of my favorite ships, and I've sailed on her many times. I have not yet sailed on the Majestic Princess. You can take a look at the deck plans for the Caribbean Princess and the Majestic Princess on the Princess website.

The Caribbean Princess has a full promenade deck allowing you to walk completely around the ship (although you do have to take stairs up one deck at the bow). The Majestic Princess does not have a full promenade deck. Crooners Bar is my favorite place on the Caribbean Princess, and they don't have it on the Majestic. They also have different specialty dining restaurants.

• Like 1

So many different considerations, especially if you have never cruised.   There is a big difference between ships.  I do prefer a ship that is a bit large and newer than the Caribbean Princess.

Look at photos and videos and deck plans  Read reviews.

My pick would be Alaska if I had never seen Alaska.  But, that is personal preference.

Two very very different cruises!

Majestic does do Glacier Bay, which should probably be a 'must' for a first time Alaska Cruise.

The one thing that I do not like about the Majestic is how they put a row of cabins on both sides and enclosed the adult pool.   But, in Alaska, a cooler weather cruise, that would not be an issue.  You would probably enjoy this area on the Majestic.  You do not seem to be a sun-seeker!

Yes, the Alaska ports are commercialized, centered solely around the cruise industry.  

I would probably want to do anything other than checking out the port and the 'shopping'.

But, there should be plenty of Princess excursions for you to experience what you want.

I hesitate to even mention cruise lines other than Princess.   I do think that Princess is probably the cruise experience, without kids, that you are looking for.  But, Princess does not do many shorter cruises.   For a short, trial, cruise, you might consider other lines?  Just know that, especially when most kids are not in school, especially on some other cruise iines, the experience could really be night and day.

With

• 3 Alaska cruises (2 - Vancouver to Whittier, 1 - round trip Seattle)
  • 1 Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise
  • 2 cruises on the Caribbean Princess (and another booked)
  • 5 cruises on Royal Class (Majestic's class) ships

I concur with @NavyVeteran extensive comments.

Thank you all so much!  To answer questions:  My DH is fine with whichever cruise I choose, and our kids are mostly teens and will be able to help him out a lot at that point.  The oldest might even be driving then.  I'm just unsure how we will all feel about me being gone so long in Sept b/c some things might change in our lives by that point;  it's a very unsettled time for us.  This is why I did the $1 deposit sale for the Canada cruise and made sure I had a fully refundable deposit for the Alaska one--it could all get canceled. 

I've never been to Alaska or Vancouver and was very much looking forward to that exploring of a completely new place.  I've been to Boston and Maine before but would enjoy seeing things again by myself, and older.  I've never been to any of the Canadian ports on the Canada / New England cruise. 

I too saw that the Canada / New England is very port intensive and have thought I might skip a port or two to make more sea days for myself b/c I'd want to have ship time.  I want ,as a solo, to be able to explore all the areas of the ship and see what I like and don't like. 

I got very interested in cruising in mid 2019 and originally booked my Alaska group cruise in Oct 2019, which was then rescheduled from June 2020 to 21 and 22.  The group sailed without me when I had to cancel a week before the trip, so I rebooked 2023 b/c  I was by then very attached to this itinerary, I even had purchased all the light layers of jackets etc specifically for Alaska.  If I don't do Alaska in 2023 I'll do it later unless I just hate cruising, in which case I'd probably still fly there and tour around on land, b/c I'm very interested in going there.  Majestic Princess is going to Glacier Bay and that's part of why I rebooked her again.  

In general I am more interested in a newer, bigger ship but found the Caribbean Princess to be an acceptable alternative when I first started looking at her online.  I've never been on any ship bigger than the standard tourist ship in a city that takes you down the river and back, so any big cruise ship will be an amazing experience for me.

I have considered doing Royal Caribbean to the Caribbean.  I have a dear friend who has traveled exclusively on RC and warm weather places and she's been my main source of cruise info other than the net.  I may eventually do a cruise with her, but she's a mom like me with very little time to go cruise and most of her cruises are with a family member.  I found Princess to be a line that I'd like to do solo but probably not take my kids on yet;  if I love cruising I was thinking of taking the family on a RC cruise.  I want Princess stuff like specific spa relaxation areas and Movies Under the Stars for my solo trip.  

To me the important factors are that this would be your first cruise and that the Alaska one would be solo and the cruise from NYC would be with a group of people you know.

I would choose going with the group of people you know, especially if some of them have cruised before. They will help you feel comfortable with cruising and make your first cruise more enjoyable since you are not sure if you will like cruising or not (I predict you will).

If some have cruised before, they can give you a good tour of the ship (even if their first time on that ship) and explain the many options you have on board for dining, entertainment and other activities.

• Like 1