LIVE: Caribbean Princess to Canada and Greenland, August 15-31, 2022: Geoherb goes solo again

geoherb

We are currently in Canada and all we did was fill out a customs declaration form and show our passports to enter from the U.S. We drove over the boarder from New York but I would assume it’s the same process if you are flying from U.S. into Canada.

• Like 1

@geoherb Thank you, I really enjoyed reading your Live! 

Im not sure if I missed this somehow but did you need heavy coats? I usually pack shorts, dresses and skirts along with jeans and a sweater & hoodie but I’m not sure what to pack for this trip. 

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Im not sure if I missed this somehow but did you need heavy coats? I usually pack shorts, dresses and skirts along with jeans and a sweater & hoodie but I’m not sure what to pack for this trip. 

I did not need a heavy coat. I wore a light-weight jacket (Columbia brand's Glennaker model). The temperature was in the low 50s. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:05 AM, geoherb said:
On 5/20/2024 at 8:45 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We are round trip out of Boston. Do we need ArriveCan? 

It was not required after Oct. 1, 2022, according to this article on Cruise Critic:
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/everything-alaska-and-canadian-cruisers-need-to-know-about-arrivecan

That is correct, ArriveCan is no longer required.

On 5/22/2024 at 9:47 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Canada will be fine, but depending on what you want to do, Greenland can be cold, especially on a moving boat. We did the Wildlife Safari by Boat in Nuuk and it was very cold and windy if you wanted to be outside in the bow of the boat. It was a spectacular, more for the scenery than the wildlife. We saw many icebergs, but even with fleeces on under Northface 3 in 1 Triclimate jackets, we had to go in by the time the boat headed back to the port..

We did an iceberg safari by Zodiak in Qaqortoq. It would also have been very, very, cold except that we were issued survival suits for that tour.  They helped a lot, especially as it was raining that day. It was still absolutely stunning. Here's a link in case you are interested, I highly recommend it.

https://sagalands.com/tour-item/icebergsafari/ 

IMG_7715.JPEG

IMG_7727.JPEG

IMG_7758.JPEG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Canada will be fine, but depending on what you want to do, Greenland can be cold, especially on a moving boat. We did the Wildlife Safari by Boat in Nuuk and it was very cold and windy if you wanted to be outside in the bow of the boat. It was a spectacular, more for the scenery than the wildlife. We saw many icebergs, but even with fleeces on under Northface 3 in 1 Triclimate jackets, we had to go in by the time the boat headed back to the port..

We did an iceberg safari by Zodiak in Qaqortoq. It would also have been very, very, cold except that we were issued survival suits for that tour.  They helped a lot, especially as it was raining that day. It was still absolutely stunning. Here's a link in case you are interested, I highly recommend it.

https://sagalands.com/tour-item/icebergsafari/ 

IMG_7715.JPEG

IMG_7727.JPEG

IMG_7758.JPEG

Thank you. Your photos are stunning! 

Can you see the icebergs from the ship?

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Yes, it was possible to see a few from the ship. There was one in the harbor in Nuuk and some in the water very near the open air museum in Nanortalik as well as some easy to see from the ship there. It was a fun experience to wave goodbye to Greenland sitting in a hot tub and looking at icebergs. I'd never seen any before so it made a huge impression.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Yes, it was possible to see a few from the ship. There was one in the harbor in Nuuk and some in the water very near the open air museum in Nanortalik as well as some easy to see from the ship there. It was a fun experience to wave goodbye to Greenland sitting in a hot tub and looking at icebergs. I'd never seen any before so it made a huge impression.

I am really looking forward to this.

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I am really looking forward to this.

I hope you have a wonderful time! It was one of our best trips ever and one of the few places that you really do have to travel to by water.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Here are a couple of photos I took of the icebergs while the ship was in Nanortalik. My friends who went on a small boat tour said it was spectacular. I booked the cruise too late to do any of the excursions. Everything was sold out--both through Princess and private.

20220824_091328.jpg

20220824_091635.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Here are a couple of photos I took of the icebergs while the ship was in Nanortalik. My friends who went on a small boat tour said it was spectacular. I booked the cruise too late to do any of the excursions. Everything was sold out--both through Princess and private.

20220824_091328.jpg

20220824_091635.jpg

Beautiful! Thank you! Were you told how tall they were? 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

14 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Beautiful! Thank you! Were you told how tall they were? 

No. But I could see how massive they were.

• Like 1