Passport Renewal

On 8/15/2022 at 11:30 AM, HicksRA said:

I saw a blurb on the news a few days ago saying they’re starting a pilot program to renew your passport online. Should make it much easier if they adopt it. 
I just renewed mine so it’ll be another 10 years before I need to worry about it. 

We decided to participate in this program.  I will keep you posted.  We paid for expedited, but, it sounds like we would have been fine.  

• Thanks 2

In genuine emergency, Philadelphia can renew your passport on the spot (about 45 minutes)

Appointments recommended but they are obviously not available for genuine emergency 

For all the criticism, govt agencies get, state department ALWAYS come through in case of genuine reasonable  emergencies especially outside USA

Doubt there are many other big countries who can renew passport without appointment on walk in basis in 45 minutes 

Good to know the online was so quick wanted to try but had a cruise on Aug 9th.

Was nervous it would be slow. When I got home they said they were not taking new applications till September so they could finish first round. Thanks for the info.

For both DH and myself, renewed passports received 37 days after the day I mailed applications:

• Filled out the form on the state.gov website and printed out, signed, and attached photo.  It had a unique bar code. Also signed up with my email address to receive status emails.
  • Mailed application with old passport book and check to the Philadelphia address on Monday, 7/18/22 priority mail so I would have tracking number.
  • Received email on Friday, 7/22/22 application was received.
  • Received email Saturday, 8/20/22 application was approved
  • Received email with USPS tracking number Monday, 8/22/22, passport book shipped.  (I could see in the tracking number it was shipped from HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK, AR 71913).
  • Received both of our new, renewed passports today, 8/24/22, 5 weeks and 2 days after we brought applications to the post office.

Edited by sunnyv
  • Like 1

We are all first timers.  We sent 3 in on 8-5, paid for expedited considering we are leaving 9-30.  The got them showing 8-8 my daughter we sent in on 8-8 they got it 8-10.  Hers came on the mail today.  Ours will be here tomorrow.  I figured renewing would be faster.  I guess if they are alleviating renewals from the process of sending in applications by allowing people to renew online.  All is better for it. 

I will have to agree. This being out first, and I am sure I have held others, what a beautiful book.  Feels like new money. Very nice.

• Like 1

I saw a blurb on the news a few days ago saying they’re starting a pilot program to renew your passport online. Should make it much easier if they adopt it. 
I just renewed mine so it’ll be another 10 years before I need to worry about it. 

I submitted the renewal in the pilot program on 8/10 and it still shows processing 16 days later. 

On 8/18/2022 at 6:42 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

For those with newer passports….have you looked at the graphics…absolutely beautiful engravings..tells a story of America…not only the presentation but the security elements are superior.   

I noticed the photo page is a thick plastic now.  

Lots of people are telling good stories about passports coming back super-fast -- just don't count on it.  

Between paying for college tuition and then Covid hitting us, we haven't traveled internationally for a while, and we booked a cruise at the end of May.  A couple weeks after, I realized my passport was expired.  I sent in my application June 29, and the website says they received it on July 6 -- but I still don't have it back.  I'm a natural born American /no red flags /I checked and double checked the paperwork.  I should be easy!  

Unless it shows up in the next three days, I guess I'm cruising with a birth certificate.  Not the end of the world, but I'm irritated that I jumped through all the hoops /paid a lot, and I'm not going to have it.

A couple years ago my state started allowing us to renew our driver's licenses online -- every other time.  I renewed my license two years ago, and it's good for eight years total.  I can live with only going into the DMV every 16 years.  

I think it might be contingent upon having no driving violations.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I noticed the photo page is a thick plast

The first 1 we got was my daughter, submitted a few days later but received first, has the plastic card.  The 3 others, all look old style.