Connecting balconies

legacy cruiser

There are exceptions including cabins on either side of the fire doors as seen on the hallways of the deck plans and in the cabin numbering scheme where the first cabin number changes, for example from C2XX to C3XX, etc.  The other exception we experienced was on the Royal Princess when we had an aft corner suite and had hoped to have a connecting door with my DB and DSIL in the premium deluxe balcony cabin next door. There wasn't one.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

There are exceptions including cabins on either side of the fire doors as seen on the hallways of the deck plans and in the cabin numbering scheme where the first cabin number changes, for example from C2XX to C3XX, etc.  The other exception we experienced was on the Royal Princess when we had an aft corner suite and had hoped to have a connecting door with my DB and DSIL in the premium deluxe balcony cabin next door. There wasn't one.

The location of the fire doors and the location where the numbers jump to another century group are the same. It's to group the cabins in fire zones, mostly for fire reporting and control reasons. If a fire occurs in a group, the air conditioning is automatically shut off, the fired doors close, and the overhead fire suppression sprinklers are turned on. 

1 hour ago, Techwizardress said:

How did you get lucky to do this?  Did you know everyone or have a big group?

About a decade ago on another cruise line's ship we had the same thing happen. The crew was cleaning the balconies, the window/door glass, and the glass railings and opened up all the partitions so they only had to access one cabin to do all the balconies. This was on a port day, so fewer people were inconvenienced. Everyone affected got a notice the day before. 

2 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

The location of the fire doors and the location where the numbers jump to another century group are the same.

I agree and guess that mine was an inartful description of just that!  Firewalls are obvious if consulting the deck plan.  But if you don't have a deck plan in front of you when comparing cabin numbers, if the first digit is different then they will not be connecting balconies due to the firewall. Just thought of this:  if the last numbers are not both even (signifying port side), or odd (signifying starboard side) they are on different sides of the ship and obviously not connecting which might be news to anyone (obviously not the OP) new to cruising reading this thread.

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

....if the last numbers are not both even (signifying port side), or odd (signifying starboard side) they are on different sides of the ship and obviously not connecting which might be news to anyone (obviously not the OP) new to cruising reading this thread.

I realize that this is a Princess thread, but I thought it might be helpful to inexperienced cruisers that this pattern applies to Princess and Carnival ships, and some others. However, some cruise lines don't follow that pattern and use another number in the sequence to designate port or starboard. For instance, here is an example of a Royal Caribbean ship. Note that it is the 2nd of four numbers that is used to identify which side of the ship. And, they also don't skip numbers across fire doors and zones:

Royal Caribbean room numbers.JPG

Edited by sloopsailor