Does Celebrity sell iPads, Kindles or tablets on board? (electronics, tablets)

zitsky

Did a search.  I doubt I would do this but I'm curious.  Do they sell any tablets on board?  I have a cheap iPad I might bring.  Just wondering what my options are if it "goes missing" at the pool.  I could always go into port if I'm desperate.  I have an iPhone as backup that I plan to keep in the safe.

They have historically sold iPads (generally a generation or two behind), but recently there have been reports that the stock has all gone and a restock is expected soon, so will be interesting to see which generation they restock with...

Celebrity has a partnership with Apple, so you won’t find Kindle or any other Android products on board. Previous models are typically sold at full price (tax free) and new models are due in September. 

Personally, unless I had non-refundable OBC to use up, I’d buy on land. 

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

Celebrity has a partnership with Apple, so you won’t find Kindle or any other Android products on board. Previous models are typically sold at full price (tax free) and new models are due in September. 

Personally, unless I had non-refundable OBC to use up, I’d buy on land. 

Oh I totally get where you are coming from.  I’m thinking of someone grabbing it at the pool or the device just deciding to die half way through the trip.  I have a very old obsolete Kindle and have debated getting a newer one but I like the iPad.

Does Celebrity publish anywhere what their prices are?  I am sailing in late September so maybe they will have new stock.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Oh I totally get where you are coming from.  I’m thinking of someone grabbing it at the pool or the device just deciding to die half way through the trip.  I have a very old obsolete Kindle and have debated getting a newer one but I like the iPad.

Does Celebrity publish anywhere what their prices are?  I am sailing in late September so maybe they will have new stock.

The prices are the same as the price Apple sells them at their store or online . The odds of someone grabbing your iPad or it dying half way through are pretty low. 

These photos were taken in the iLounge on Solstice Dec 2019-Jan 2020 (pre-pandemic, pre-chip shortage).   Gives you some idea of the possibilities:

image.thumb.jpeg.4ce02bb06aab86242816efe4d805e603.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f4f5c8cab07994a2d619a9ac25a47b13.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.24145263de9993180cc8746caf3b585c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fe763543c617487791835369499e1d93.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0234d9ef871c916341900d8c09d5e3fe.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.055f2b7981e31a6c909bba9e6c054ec2.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The prices are the same as the price Apple sells them at their store or online . The odds of someone grabbing your iPad or it dying half way through are pretty low. 

Difference is OBC and sales tax, it can add up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Could it happen?  Maybe not.   Theft might not be a problem depending on how good security is.  But if a device dies it dies.  It’s been known to happen.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

You can find the prices at Apple.com. You won’t find any bargains on a cruise ship!

If you’re holding out in case they get new stock, I wouldn’t hold your breath. Even if they do, it’s highly unlikely they’ll get the latest models. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Could it happen?  Maybe not.   Theft might not be a problem depending on how good security is.  But if a device dies it dies.  It’s been known to happen.

I bought my first iPad in 2010 when it came out. Bought an Ipad 3rd generation, Then an iPad Pro 9.7 and latest an IPad  Pro 11 inch 2018. Also iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 6. I repurposed the old ones to family members when I upgraded to a newer one. They are all still working except the iPad mini 3 which got lost when my BIL left it on his car hood and it fell off when he drove off with it on the hood. We did buy a couple of iPad minis onboard with OBC for family. None of them have died. Carried an iPad on every cruise  since 2010 and never had one stolen.

Edited by Charles4515

31 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

You can find the prices at Apple.com. You won’t find any bargains on a cruise ship!

If you’re holding out in case they get new stock, I wouldn’t hold your breath. Even if they do, it’s highly unlikely they’ll get the latest models. 

They can often be bought for less than Apple.com.  Amazon and Best  Buy put them on sale quite often. Costco usually has something off the the list. As someone mentioned there is no sales tax onboard still the sale prices at Amazon and Best Buy will probaly save more. It likely would be a saving for Europeans who have VAT taxes at home. I have bought a couple with OBC for family members when i had over $1000 in OBC but I only bought the cheapest $300 iPads. 

• Like 1

I was just on Equinox and they had almost nothing onboard. Not even plain old in ear Lightning (wired) earbuds. The prices looked like Apple USA prices, but there's was nothing that I recall to actually sell. Maybe a Macbook or two.

So US prices. No state sales tax (although if your state has a use tax, you're subject to that, whether you choose to claim it or not). If it's only you, you're likely to exceed your $800 exemption, so it's possible (unlikely I fully admit) you'd get  pulled out of line to pay duty. If you had an opportunity to claim the purchase and didn't (again, it really doesn't seem to work that way in FLL), you could lose your Global Entry and TSA Pre. If you have any affiliation, corporate, teaching, government, military, first responder, etc., you can get better pricing through Apple.com.

It's not a good deal for a US citizen. Period.

23 minutes ago, markeb said:

If it's only you, you're likely to exceed your $800 exemption, so it's possible (unlikely I fully admit) you'd get  pulled out of line to pay duty. 

Most iPads cost less than $800. A lot less. Only the pro models are in that range and most people don't need or buy a pro version. The pro models are pretty much for artists. You can get a pretty good iPad for $329. I bought iPad miinis about 5 years ago for $300. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Most iPads cost less than $800. A lot less. Only the pro models are in that range and most people don't need or buy a pro version. The pro models are pretty much for artists. You can get a pretty good iPad for $329. I bought iPad miinis about 5 years ago for $300. 

I buy Pros. I'm not an artist.

• Thanks 1

As to the OP’s concern about an iPad dying: some years back, in early January, we were burglarized and an old first or second generation iPad was taken. Almost a year later, our plumber was standing on some stairs in the backyard, pointed to our roof, and lo and behold, there was the iPad (the burglar had thrown it onto the roof). It had been sitting out in the elements (rain, high heat, raccoon ( who love our roof), and so on) for ages and we assumed it was a goner. We brought it in, charged it, and it started right up and worked fine. Those things are tough!

• Haha 1

Hey techies

my friend just gave me a kindle fire 7 he got on Prime Day for $30. 
I haven’t unboxed it yet but it might be great for ship poolside or beach reading and I won’t worry if someone steals it. Does anyone know if you can read from these in bright sunlight ?

I figure this thread is a good place to ask. 😀 

39 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Hey techies

my friend just gave me a kindle fire 7 he got on Prime Day for $30. 
I haven’t unboxed it yet but it might be great for ship poolside or beach reading and I won’t worry if someone steals it. Does anyone know if you can read from these in bright sunlight ?

I figure this thread is a good place to ask. 😀 

I have an old Fire HD 8 that I’m giving away.  It was already “old technology” when I bought it new.  More than 5 years old.  Maybe 10.  Good for reading.   Browser doesn’t work.  I’ve checked for updates but it’s too old.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I have an old Fire HD 8 that I’m giving away.  It was already “old technology” when I bought it new.  More than 5 years old.  Maybe 10.  Good for reading.   Browser doesn’t work.  I’ve checked for updates but it’s too old.

How was the sun glare ?

20 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

How was the sun glare ?

I never really used the Fire HD 8 in the sun.  If it did I crank up brightness.  iPad is a little better.  At pool or solarium I think sun won’t be too bad I hope.

• Thanks 1

The more expensive kindle fires will get a bit brighter and are more usable in the sun. For cheaper models you'll have to crank up the brightness all the way and still have to angle it to make sure sunlight isn't falling directly on it. (And battery life will definitely be shortened while using at full brightness)

I have a couple kindle fires that I got really cheap as well but whenever I'm outside I bring my e-ink kindle for reading. If you're going to do some light reading for a half hour here or there you'll probably be ok with it. Anything longer and I'd look for a cheap e-ink kindle for sunlight.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, karmamule said:

The more expensive kindle fires will get a bit brighter and are more usable in the sun. For cheaper models you'll have to crank up the brightness all the way and still have to angle it to make sure sunlight isn't falling directly on it. (And battery life will definitely be shortened while using at full brightness)

I have a couple kindle fires that I got really cheap as well but whenever I'm outside I bring my e-ink kindle for reading. If you're going to do some light reading for a half hour here or there you'll probably be ok with it. Anything longer and I'd look for a cheap e-ink kindle for sunlight.

Thanks.  helpful answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

I can read on my iPad outside with some shade. We have cabanas at our condo pool and that was okay but because I would like to read sometimes in the pool or the spa pool I bought a waterproof Kobo e-ink reader. Much better in sunlight than the iPad. I also prefer it over a Kindle s because it is not Amazon's proprietary book format and because it has Overdrive. I can borrow books from the library directly on it. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2