non-vaxxed cruising in January

sweetdardar

I just booked a cruise on the Encore Jan 15th. We are sailing to Great Stirrup cay, St. Thomas, Tortola , and Puerto Plata, D.R.,

Prior to booking , I asked a representative if the private island in the Bahamas is included in the not allowed to cruise non-vaxxed

and was told no, its NCL's private island so it doesnt count.

I have received two e-mails with my itinerary and this is on the top of the e-mail

I have called back and spoken to another booking rep that says I'm ok but since final payment is due next month and since I received this letter, they

would not have to return my money, I am wondering if anyone else is having this dilemma?

I do not need people to tell me to get vaxxed or not to go, I am just looking for answers.

• Like 3

Sorry I don't know for sure.  I'm guessing that even through NCL "owns" the Island, it has to still follow the laws of the parent nation, like Bermuda.

I think all cruise lines just have super long leases on the their islands.

6 hours ago, rrebel94 said:

image.png.073c505e47094267769a2c0fb2d5fdde.png

If GSC falls under the requirements of a Bahamas cruise, NCL Sail Safe shows that unvaxxed would need to test but could sail

T hank you. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone else non-vaxxed has booked and received this email. 

4 hours ago, sweetdardar said:

T hank you. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone else non-vaxxed has booked and received this email. 

What could be happening is that the news is so new and forever changing that their IT department has not kept up to changing letters already scheduled to be automatically mailed. Had similar happen on another cruise line over the winter. 
Give it a little bit more time and maybe it may get updated on the app or NCL web site 

• Like 1

I am in a similar dilemma.  I am looking to book for December.  My family will not get the jab, so we are happy that the cruise lines are starting to come to their senses.
It seems this is not an easy quesiton to answer.  One agent tells you one thing, and another agent a few hrs later tells you something different.
I just don't want to pay for the cruise and then get to the terminal and can't get on the ship.  I am thinking about calling the Bahamian Consulate/Embassy tomorrow and ask them.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Catnip said:

I am in a similar dilemma.  I am looking to book for December.  My family will not get the jab, so we are happy that the cruise lines are starting to come to their senses.
It seems this is not an easy quesiton to answer.  One agent tells you one thing, and another agent a few hrs later tells you something different.
I just don't want to pay for the cruise and then get to the terminal and can't get on the ship.  I am thinking about calling the Bahamian Consulate/Embassy tomorrow and ask them.

Just remember that protocols can change on a whim. I haven't really researched, but I wonder if an insurance policy would cover not being vaccinated as a legitimate reason to cancel a cruise. of course cancel for any reason applies, but it never covers 100%.

Just be cautious and know that by December the Bahamas, a cruise line, the USA could require the vaccine. Of course my gut tells me that will not be the case, but with this COVID thing, you never know!

Also...ruin the carpets, not your lives. 🙂 

• Like 1

In the same boat as you—booked 2 weeks later at the end of January. Very hopeful to be able to cruise again but will wait to the last minute to decide at final payment deadline.

I am hoping that they will drop the testing requirements as well since CDC relaxed their suggestions recently (no need to screen if no symptoms and unvaxxed and vaxxed are treated equally).

Need to stop using the V word anyway.  

• Like 6

OP specifically asked for no Get vaxed or stay home comments, so thank you to those that honored that.

The last protocol I saw was that unvaxed pax would not be able to cruise if any of the ports had restrictions. Unvaxed would not be able to just stay on the ship at that port. Has this changed?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packercruising said:

OP specifically asked for no Get vaxed or stay home comments, so thank you to those that honored that.

The last protocol I saw was that unvaxed pax would not be able to cruise if any of the ports had restrictions. Unvaxed would not be able to just stay on the ship at that port. Has this changed?

For Bermuda, effective 8/22, unvaccinated passengers will be able to cruise. Before, they were unable to even embark. There is a whole list of requirements they need to fulfill, but I'll leave those for all the other topics on this forum. Not sure of other destinations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnBoy in NC said:

In the same boat as you—booked 2 weeks later at the end of January. Very hopeful to be able to cruise again but will wait to the last minute to decide at final payment deadline.

I am hoping that they will drop the testing requirements as well since CDC relaxed their suggestions recently (no need to screen if no symptoms and unvaxxed and vaxxed are treated equally).

Need to stop using the V word anyway.  

This is the second time today I have seen the No screening if no symptoms, so that is good news. We are booked on the Bliss in Feb. As it stands now, we would not be able to cruise.

100% agree with the use of the V word.

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

For Bermuda, effective 8/22, unvaccinated passengers will be able to cruise. Before, they were unable to even embark. There is a whole list of requirements they need to fulfill, but I'll leave those for all the other topics on this forum. Not sure of other destinations. 

Love your Avatar. Grand Caymans is another one and that is on our itinerary.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Catnip said:

Covid protocols have been fluid since the beginning of cruise resumption and remain fluid to this day. 

The only thing we can be sure of with Covid is that cruise protocols are always changing. Every single line has had to shift protocols as time elapsed and inevitably someone is caught in the middle. Example: I remember when NCL removed mask mandates only to bring them back a few weeks later. 

We must make our best guess, and insure against unforeseen changes in policy. Eventually things will all settle down (hopefully), but the upcoming flu season could bring additional changes to current protocols. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Covid protocols have been fluid since the beginning of cruise resumption and remain fluid to this day. 

The only thing we can be sure of with Covid is that cruise protocols are always changing. Every single line has had to shift protocols as time elapsed and inevitably someone is caught in the middle. Example: I remember when NCL removed mask mandates only to bring them back a few weeks later. 

We must make our best guess, and insure against unforeseen changes in policy. Eventually things will all settle down (hopefully), but the upcoming flu season could bring additional changes to current protocols. 

I realize that.  It's just frustrating because cruises and travel is expensive so you don't want to get to the port only to be told you can't get onboard.  If everyone was "on the same page" and you didn't get conflicting information, it would be decisions easier. 

2 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

As of today the only island requiring vaccinations is Grand Cayman. St Kitts eliminated it yesterday.

That's good news.  I am still getting conflicting info about the Bahamas.

25 minutes ago, Catnip said:

I realize that.  It's just frustrating because cruises and travel is expensive so you don't want to get to the port only to be told you can't get onboard.  If everyone was "on the same page" and you didn't get conflicting information, it would be decisions easier. 

I agree completely- this is a challenging time to cruise. I wish you the smoothest sailings possible :). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

As of today the only island requiring vaccinations is Grand Cayman. St Kitts eliminated it yesterday.

Grand Caymen may hold out. There is a sustainable movement for the island that wants to limit cruise ships anyway. They even stopped the pier being built to accommodate cruises. Plus, this is one of the only islands in the Caribbean that does not need cruise revenue. 

If grand cayman remains a hold out I would expect cruise ships to just eliminate that stop rather than have special embarkation rules for one island. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TampaGambler said:

Below was taken from the bahamas health page...

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

image.thumb.png.b74a6b77255f5925cca4cd5ea37fbd5c.png

Even that site has conflicting info.  One page says everyone over 12 HAS to be "vaccinated" and then another page says Unvaxxed people can have a negative test 3 days before travel.
So, which is it?  Hoe frustrating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catnip said:

Even that site has conflicting info.  One page says everyone over 12 HAS to be "vaccinated" and then another page says Unvaxxed people can have a negative test 3 days before travel.
So, which is it?  Hoe frustrating.

We are unvaccinated and flew to the Bahamas over July 4th, I know they have different rules for if you fly vs. cruise to the Bahamas....

1 minute ago, TampaGambler said:

We are unvaccinated and flew to the Bahamas over July 4th, I know they have different rules for if you fly vs. cruise to the Bahamas....

Yeah, what is up with that?  My husband just mentioned that to me yesterday.  Why different rules depending if you come in by air vs sea?  I'm not really understanding the confusion.  I might call the Embassy and see if they can explain it.  😂

27 minutes ago, Catnip said:

Yeah, what is up with that?  My husband just mentioned that to me yesterday.  Why different rules depending if you come in by air vs sea?  I'm not really understanding the confusion.  I might call the Embassy and see if they can explain it.  😂

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense... When we were in the Bahamas, the entire island didn't wear masks or really care about Covid, but when we were in the airport terminal, they were so strict about masks etc. 

• Like 1