Singapore Sling

seachelt

Princess certainly has the simple ingredients If it isn't on the menu a bartender can mix it. I don't have a menu in front of me, but it isn't a drink that has lots of alcohol in the mix. Expect the cost would be within the $12 limit of the plus fare. 

On my last cruise on Princess in 2019 I ordered a non-frozen, shaken daiquiri. There was a lot of puzzled looks and head scratching. As a former bartender I walked the bartender through how to make one. And it was very good. He was excited to learn how to make an old standard drink. So be prepared to know which Singapore Sling recipe you like and how it is made.

On my last cruise, which was Virgin, on their resort on Bimini I ordered a Cuba Libra. I'm watching the bartender use Morgan Spiced Rum, simple syrup, some other mix and barely topped it off with Coke. When he placed it in front of me I told him that after all that work now I wanted a simple Cuba Libra. He argued and I asked for a bar manager. When she came over and he told her I wanted a Cuba Libra she said okay and fixed it the right way the first time. He then asked her what it was that she had just mixed. 

Edited by Wildcatllamas

On 8/17/2022 at 5:46 PM, seachelt said:

Is a Singapore Sling cocktail available on Princess? If so, how much is it?

Thanks!

seachelt

Sure - but perhaps tell the bartender how you like them.  Not every drink possible is listed on the menus, but you can order any drink you know of and they likely have the ingredients.  You may need to tell them some or all of them.  They seem to price an off-menu drink as to what a similar drink would be that appears on the menu.  Of course the number of alcohol shots in a drink is a driving factor in the ultimate price.

My experience with most Princess bartenders is that they know how to make the drinks on the menu and not much else.  And it helps if they can use a blender.  They really like to blitz drinks.

These are not craft cocktail type bartenders from New York, Chicago, or other big city type bars.

BTW one recent cruise had a "flair bartending" demonstration. All I can say is Tom Cruise in "Cocktail" has nothing to be worried about.😉

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, seachelt said:

Is a Singapore Sling cocktail available on Princess? If so, how much is it?

Thanks!

seachelt

My husband and I ordered Singapore Sling from the pool bar on the Sky Princess in March, and they were very good. Not sure what the price is but they were covered in our Princess Plus package.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On the Ruby, a Good Spirits at Sea demonstration featured a Bangkok Mule which, oddly enough, featured Jack Daniels (I still have the recipe cards they were handing out!)

Great drink, I attended several times for it!

Their Jack Smash was also quite good.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:48 PM, DCThunder said:

My experience with most Princess bartenders is that they know how to make the drinks on the menu and not much else.  And it helps if they can use a blender.  They really like to blitz drinks.

These are not craft cocktail type bartenders from New York, Chicago, or other big city type bars.

100% this. Doesn’t mean they can’t be coached. But my experience is as described. These aren’t bartending craftsmen. They are Princess drink makers. 
But this discussion reminds me of this classic: