Excursion/sight-seeing recommendations for cruise in western Mediterranean

cruiseej

We're booked on a cruise on Sojourn next May from Barcelona to Monte Carlo, and I'm seeking advice on any recommended Seabourn excursions we might want to safely book now, or recommendations to do on our own. Our port calls are:

Spain: ValenciaPalma de Mallorca

France: SeteSanary-sur-MerSan Raphael

Italy: Golfo Aranci/Costa Smeralda (Sardina), Portoferraio (Elba), Portovenere

One Seabourn tour which jumped out to me is at the end in Portovenere: "Villages of Cinque Terre by chartered boat". Our part trips to Italy have never brought us to Cinque Terre, and seeing the towns from the water as well as on land sounds appealing. If you've done this excursion and liked it (or not), I'd welcome your input.

If there are must-see things in any of these ports, please offer your thoughts, whether it's by Seabourn excursion, walking on our own, or hiring a guide. 

We did not do the chartered boat tour of the villages, but we did love the port of Portovenere.  It is a delightful village that is fun and easy to walk through--no guide needed.There are narrow old streets, quaint shops with interesting things, ice cream shops,  and small cafes.    Perhaps you would have time to walk through the village even if you decide to do the chartered boat tour.  

• Thanks 1

Definitely do the boat tour.  We did a water taxi (Not on a cruise) to each village several years ago and it was fascinating seeing the towns from the water. Took about a hundred pictures. You miss this great perspective when on land.

On 8/17/2022 at 5:46 PM, cruiseej said:

One Seabourn tour which jumped out to me is at the end in Portovenere: "Villages of Cinque Terre by chartered boat". Our part trips to Italy have never brought us to Cinque Terre, and seeing the towns from the water as well as on land sounds appealing. If you've done this excursion and liked it (or not), I'd welcome your input.

If there are must-see things in any of these ports, please offer your thoughts, whether it's by Seabourn excursion, walking on our own, or hiring a guide. 

For maximum flexibility take the ferry to Cinqueterre.  It stops at all four ports.  You decide how long to spend in each one.  No guide needed anywhere.  Make sure to save some time for Portovenere.

https://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/en/daily-trips

Here is the map and timetable:

https://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/pdf/orari-15-06/orari-linea-02-golfo-15-06.pdf

I would advise going to Monterosso first for the full ride along the shore and then backtracking to Portovenere.

Edited by marazul

On 8/18/2022 at 6:45 PM, pyffii said:

cruiseej we're on Sojourn May 27th ex Barcelona for 20 days so maybe we'll be on the same cruise for a short time ?

@pyffii We're on only for the first 10-day segment, from Barcelona to Monaco. The second 10-days segment sounds wonderful as well; I wish we could have arranged to stay on for both segments!

Thanks to those who have commented on Portovenere and visiting Cinque Terre! Additional  experiences/recommendations are welcome — as well as suggestions for things to see/do in any of the other other ports on this cruise:

Spain: ValenciaPalma de Mallorca

France: SeteSanary-sur-MerSan Raphael

Italy: Golfo Aranci/Costa Smeralda (Sardina), Portoferraio (Elba), Portovenere