Maximum age on shore excursions? WHAT?

ddled

19 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

RCI dictates policies that the tours must follow. Probably also what type of insurance they must carry. Did you ever notice prices are different too? That accounts for differences in policies between other cruise lines and also booking directly. 

That's true.  The prices are always higher mostly because of the fees and profit that RCI makes on the transaction.

Are you saying you don't want the additional protections you get with a RCI excursion?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

That's true.  The prices are always higher mostly because of the fees and profit that RCI makes on the transaction.

Are you saying you don't want the additional protections you get with a RCI excursion?

Nope. I never take an RCI excursion unless there is no alternative. Booking direct gets the same but often better version of the  excursion. Pay less and get more. 12 seat vans opposed to 40 seat buses and waiting for everyone to finish their bathroom visit. 6 people and a guide versus 30 people  chasing a guide with wireless headphones. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

RCI dictates policies that the tours must follow. Probably also what type of insurance they must carry. Did you ever notice prices are different too? That accounts for differences in policies between other cruise lines and also booking directly. 

They don’t dictate policies.  They have minimum requirements.  It’s up to the companies to set policies and if they comply they can do business with Royal. But it is their choice.  Royal has their standards like them being licensed,

insured, etc.   No one is dictating or forcing any company to do business with them.  It’s a choice.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, topnole said:

They don’t dictate policies.  They have minimum requirements.  It’s up to the companies to set policies and if they comply they can do business with Royal. But it is their choice.  Royal has their standards like them being licensed,

insured, etc.   No one is dictating or forcing any company to do business with them.  It’s a choice.  

In most countries tour companies have to be licensed and insured. What Royal does is take a cut. I can google the tour description and find the same tour direct or through another middleman like the cruise lines. Direct is less, a third party middleman like Viator is more than direct but less than the cruise line. I am pretty good at researching. Now I can understand that many don't want to take the time but I do it because I get a better experience. To me that is worth the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

In most countries tour companies have to be licensed and insured. What Royal does is take a cut. I can google the tour description and find the same tour direct or through another middleman like the cruise lines. Direct is less, a third party middleman like Viator is more than direct but less than the cruise line. I am pretty good at researching. Now I can understand that many don't want to take the time but I do it because I get a better experience. To me that is worth the time. 

Of course Royal gets a cut.  You get certain assurances if you book through Royal.  If you book direct you are on your own if there are issues.  There are trade offs either way.  I’ve done it both ways.  Depends on where, the type of tour, and the price difference.  

1 minute ago, topnole said:

Of course Royal gets a cut.  You get certain assurances if you book through Royal.  If you book direct you are on your own if there are issues.  There are trade offs either way.  I’ve done it both ways.  Depends on where, the type of tour, and the price difference.  

Hardly any issues booking on my own. Plenty of issues the few times I booked through Royal. Usually got an adjustment but would rather not have had the issues. Sometimes it does make sense to book with Royal. I would never say never. Blue Lagoon for example. The Blue Lagoon boat picks up at the cruise dock. If you take it independent you have to take a taxi to Paradise Island to get on the same boat. Taxi fare plus Blue lagoon ticket is about the same price as Royal charges. 

I got a reply from Royal if you are interested. They say they make their decision based on the tour operator, Their 'risk management team", and insurance.My question was what are they doing hiring an operator that can guarantee the safety of a 69 year old but not a 70? Or-why can I go zip lining on an Alaska cruise but not one in the Caribbean? Dumb people down south? Or-how does a Risk Management team operate and how many of them are lawyers? What risk is going on the trolley in Cozumel at age 70, and walking 2 blocks? And going to the beach?  Sharks?  What a crock.  None of the other lines are doing this, And Royal is not doing it on some of their other cruises to Alaska. The other excuse they list is local regulations. So Cozumel has local regulations that 70 year olds cannot ride the trolley but only if they are a part of Royal Shore Excursions?  Man-Royal sure is getting worked over by local authorities in Mexico because none of the other cruise ships get that restriction!  What baloney and a huge insult to my intelligence that they think I will believe their garbage!  What I will believe is that I am done on Royal after 20 plus years and tens of thousands of dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ddled said:

I got a reply from Royal if you are interested. They say they make their decision based on the tour operator, Their 'risk management team", and insurance.My question was what are they doing hiring an operator that can guarantee the safety of a 69 year old but not a 70? Or-why can I go zip lining on an Alaska cruise but not one in the Caribbean? Dumb people down south? Or-how does a Risk Management team operate and how many of them are lawyers? What risk is going on the trolley in Cozumel at age 70, and walking 2 blocks? And going to the beach?  Sharks?  What a crock.  None of the other lines are doing this, And Royal is not doing it on some of their other cruises to Alaska. The other excuse they list is local regulations. So Cozumel has local regulations that 70 year olds cannot ride the trolley but only if they are a part of Royal Shore Excursions?  Man-Royal sure is getting worked over by local authorities in Mexico because none of the other cruise ships get that restriction!  What baloney and a huge insult to my intelligence that they think I will believe their garbage!  What I will believe is that I am done on Royal after 20 plus years and tens of thousands of dollars.

We also emailed Royal- they specifically said it is the tour operator that sets the age limit to us. We all know this is not true since you can book the same tour operator on your own with zero age restrictions (see: Rio Secreto and others). You can also book on another cruise line with the age restriction. The only logic at all is that this circles back to Royal Caribbean. They are setting the age. But if it is based on RCL insurance, then why, as we are saying, can people do much higher risk activities in certain ports, but not, Cozumel for example? I mean, really- you cannot visit a Mayan Ruin?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RoyalC-I agree I assume Royal is self insured so that is their policy internally. I usually do not hold a grudge-bad for the health-but this one in hard to get rid of. Besides telling me I am too old to ride the trolley inCozumel and walk, they are insulting my intelligence with their lame attempt at an explanation. I wish they still did the handshake line with the captain at Crown and Anchor events-I would at least give him my opinion. I guess the only way to get our ideas across is to contact Royal-no hopes there though. I agree that blaming on the tour operator is dumb-they are the same operators that have been there for years. I really think we are on the verge of their lawyers taking a look at some of the onboard activities and  putting an age limit on them too. How is it different to ride some of the water slides than it is to ride a trolley? I think the business people/cruise people in RCL  have abandoned their jobs to the lawyers . It is the job of the lawyers/risk management team to advise-not dictate. Somewhere inside corporate their is a lot of fear. Royal has lost a couple high profile cases-I think they have overreacted. It is going to cost them a lot of business from us old people that still have a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:32 PM, RoyalC said:

We all know this is not true since you can book the same tour operator on your own with zero age restrictions (see: Rio Secreto and others). 

The age policy when booked through the cruise line is different than the age policy when booked directly.

That doesn't make Royal's statement untrue.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 8:10 PM, ddled said:

If this is on another thread I apologize-I looked but in my old age I probably missed it. My issue is the max age restrictions on some of the shore excursions. WHAT IN THE ... IS ROYAL UP TO NOW?  I am taking a group of 30 retired fossils on Allure Jan 22. A member of our group asked because they wanted to do several excursions and were shut out because of the 65-72 max age limit. Examples in Cozumel included a Salsa dance class, a combination cigar rolling and beach break, anything almost involving any cave with any water in it, some snorkeling trips and so on. About 40% it looks like . Excuse me,  but I walk 20 plus miles per week in humid Texas, kayak and bike the other days. I think I can handle a little ride on an atv, or a salsa class. When did this all come about?  I can see that Royal doesn't want anyone over 65 anymore as passengers-we are diamond, almost plus and they can do what is biologically impossible. I realize they market to younger people, but my advice is do it while you can!   I guess we look for another line, or. private excursions.  Anyone else have thoughts on this? The more I think about it, the madder I get-oops I better calm down, don't want to have a stroke and die!   Thoughts? I am 71 and I guess I am too old to cruise on Royal Caribbean anymore. Pretty soon they can just strap me into a wheel chair when I get on board and feed  me gruel for a week !! wow

Though I find this very strange given the demographics of most sailings, don’t worry.  Book private third party!  Have a great time!

OK I looked at some of their other Caribbean ports-Bahamas, Bermuda, St. Thomas, couple others. No age restrictions-the most they list is n/a.  Something is going on in Mexico/Roatan, or they are piloting the idea. to apply to other ports because their lawyers are in charge?  This is something recent, I wish they had done it on a cruise that I don't have 30 retired friends on. Or at least be able to explain so I can. There is something they are not saying about these policies on these cruise ports. Maybe if you are in Cozumel,and the others you can find our and tell us?  If I do I sure will. Still mad after a month and not getting less mad.

After looking again, these age restrictions are just Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan. On Roatan I cannot go fishing at the old age of 71-something I do weekly offshore.But just those ports-not even Progresso, Mexico. Did not look on the pacific side of Mexico, but I am confused-why just these 3 ports in 2 countries when the same activity is allowed elsewhere? And what is wrong with the Cozumel tour operators ?  Is it safe for anyone to do these tours on Cozumel regardless of age? Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Last experience with Royal to report. Tried calling-waste of time. Shore excursion only communicates via email. Was given to a resolutions desk. She told me that there is no one higher than her I could talk to and there was nothing that could be done anyway. On top of it all, some of my people say the app has different  shore excursions on it  than the website and different age restrictions-so what do you believe?  Unbelievable chaos!  I'm done with Royal and advising all my friends to do the same

Oh- I forgot this comment-obviously my old age-  This is from the complaint resolution desk which I was told is as high as I can go. The age restrictions-she said are put into place for "the safety of all our guests". I am sorry that at age 71 I have put your safety at risk by wanting to ride the trolley into Cozumel, or fish offshore for 3 hours in Roatan. Did not know that I was endangering the rest of the 6000 guests on Allure by my reckless behavior and will stay in my rocking chair or wherever they put me on ship so as not to put my fellow passengers at risk! I do not make this stuff up-This was a true comment. 

50 minutes ago, ddled said:

Oh- I forgot this comment-obviously my old age-  This is from the complaint resolution desk which I was told is as high as I can go. The age restrictions-she said are put into place for "the safety of all our guests". I am sorry that at age 71 I have put your safety at risk by wanting to ride the trolley into Cozumel, or fish offshore for 3 hours in Roatan. Did not know that I was endangering the rest of the 6000 guests on Allure by my reckless behavior and will stay in my rocking chair or wherever they put me on ship so as not to put my fellow passengers at risk! I do not make this stuff up-This was a true comment. 

What you can do at your age may not be common for others. Our group of 4 from 67-74 is not seeing many others of our age as we bicycle from Germany to Budapest. We do laugh when the excursion desk says we are too old to snorkel, we just make other arrangements. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2022 at 5:53 AM, awhfy said:

It’s not a ship thing, it’s a tour vendor thing. We couldn’t book a rainforest hike (forget the island, I’m a fossil). We went on our own & ended up passing the ‘young’ group who were having issues making the trail, rookies. Stinks, but that’s what it is & why we normally do our own thing or get a private excursion. 

I remember when my husband and I were in our 30s and climbing a trail up a mountain in Phoenix. We stopped on a bench half way up, resting, and decided to call it and go back down , which we did. A couple in their 60s-70s passed us and urged us to continue on. They did this walk/climb everyday. That interaction makes me smile whenever the memory surfaces. Anyone that can make the long walk in full sun across the pier without needing  medical attention looks like a good bet to me. 

• Like 2

did I mention that my mom who is 71 is in better physical shape than I am at 48?

However, my dad can barely walk at 74.

Some of our Princess excursions' limits are set for between 12 and 65. That would exclude our 11 yo who is a size of a smallish adult male. But do you see me stomping my foot in frustration? No, we can do these same excursions by ourselves - walk up to the water fall and drive through a botanical garden - and it will cost us a lot less and we won't be packed like sardines on an excursion bus. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1