Viking Jupiter (planetarium)

SailorPaulH

So I read that Viking Jupiter (and Orion) have planetariums, but can't find out anything about them - any input or a link would be appreciated. My basic questions:

• What kind of and how many shows are there?
  • Is it easy to book them? I guess you have to wait until you are on board?

Edited by SailorPaulH

Not really planetariums. They’re IMAX theaters with star shows—generally for northern climates, even when you’re in SE Asia. We were on both ships pre-Covid. There were four different shows, and you had to sign up onboard. Usually early to mid afternoon. We went once and weren’t particularly impressed because it’s not a real planetarium, as mentioned. The theater is small—about 20 viewers—and very cold. Others have said they liked it. YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was in the 'planetarium' on Jupiter back in October. The first thing to note is it is not really a planetarium. There is no star projector. (It would be great if there were a legit plenetarium) It is basically a movie theater that projects what I would cal 'canned' movies onto a semi-sphere overhead.

There were 3 shows when we were there, we went to two. One was a relatively old (but someone interesting ) movie about the northern lights. I don't actually remember the other one. It was OK. Besides not being a real planetarium, the ceiling itself has some mildly annoying seams/features that interfered with some of the images. You also really want to get there early to snag back row seats as it requires you to crane your neck less.

As you implied, you sign up when you board at the Explorer's desk and they will give you tickets for the specific show time you select.

AGREE not my favorite ...see one show...and you decide!  I am glad they did not put them on other ships.  BUT we did have a couple very interesting astronomers aboard ...good lectures....and great stargazing with super telescope.  this was especially great when we were in the Southern Hemisphere and could see the Southern Cross!  this is very weather dependent and was announced at the end of the evening show .

• Like 1

We intended to go but never made it. I will second that the astronomers on board were very interesting. We more or less casually dropped in on the first lecuture but eagerly attended the remaining. (Still don't fully grasp dark matter - but that's likely on me. 🙂 )

I will say I thought the planitarium itself - regardless of the content within - seemed an intrusive and unappealling use of space compared to the Upper Deck of the Explorer's Lounge on other ships. I'd vote for reverting to that design on the next dry dock. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deec said:

AGREE not my favorite ...see one show...and you decide!  I am glad they did not put them on other ships.  BUT we did have a couple very interesting astronomers aboard ...good lectures....and great stargazing with super telescope.  this was especially great when we were in the Southern Hemisphere and could see the Southern Cross!  this is very weather dependent and was announced at the end of the evening show .

We were on the Jupiter in the spring of 2019 (its 2nd voyage?)  One of the guest lecturers on board was a physicist who did a presentation on Issac Newton. I asked him if he would do a lecture in the planetarium and he looked into it. The next day he arranged a presentation and handed out tickets. The planetarium actually has the ability to project stars, constellations, and planets. It was a very interesting demonstration. IMO It’s an asset that wasn’t used correctly. Just showing iMax movies was not reaching its full potential.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 4

We went to 2 out of the 3 Jupiter shows in 2020 and enjoyed them so sign up.  They filled up fast but it was still a novelty back then with few negative comments.  Shows were in the afternoon and the evening sometimes.

However we do prefer the additional seating space on the upper Explorer lounge instead of the Planetarium and are glad that the new ships do not have it.  When trying to use the seating up there we found that it was too often filled with people waiting to get into the show.  Word got out that the best seats were in the back so people were lining up early.