Cabin changed without being asked

paulatsea

I had a letter yesterday saying I had been upgraded to a deluxe twin - I had not been asked if I wanted this.

the new cabin is in a bad position right next to the lifts.

I am trying to get my old cabin back.

has anyone else had this ?

who is the most senior person I could easily contact ?

if my old cabin has gone do you think they will refund me as I will want to cancel ?

Very  frustrating as it goes in 2 weeks time.

thanks 

Please do not worry!

Have just returned from a deluxe cabin near the lifts, we didn't hear a thing, & I think you will enjoy the walk in wardrobe, extra space, large window & a bigger balcony.

Have a lovely cruise, & luck you.

• Thanks 1

Lucky you!  Have you tried contacting Saga via the online chat, if you're really worried?  I've always found them very helpful, and reasonably quick. I prefer it to phone calls because the chat transcript can be downloaded afterwards.

• Thanks 1

It is a bit of an indictment on how things are nowadays that we tend to be quite understandably suspicious of something nice happening.

Great  to hear of something genuinely good for a change; and feel sure that you will thoroughly enjoy your cruise, from your superior surroundings in particular!    I have always found Saga to be pretty fair and genuine - more so than some other lines.

• Thanks 1

I have been upgraded a few times over the years (not on the new ships, alas), and it was always a telephone call first to ask if I wanted the upgrade (I only once refused) so maybe the confirmation letter was sent out before making sure the phone call had happened.

Glad you got it sorted - but had you wanted to reject it, I am pretty confident that Saga would have arranged things back to your satisfaction, as I too have found Saga to be generally very reasonable..

• Thanks 1

The biggest problem is that, having experienced a de-luxe cabin, you might be a bit less satisfied with a standard cabin in the future! 

While I would be delighted to be offered an upgrade like that, I would stress the "offered" here. I do think that Saga should have contacted you and proposed the upgrade, rather than just doing it and informing you. People can have reasons for booking a specific cabin, whether that is to be near friends, to be on a certain deck, or on a particular side of the ship or whatever. 

I've just seen nosapphire's latest post (#9), and am glad to note that Saga would normally ring someone first to see if they were happy with the change. 

Anyway, I'm sure you will be delighted with your new cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes - I would have preferred a call first as I selected the original cabin specifically for the location.

The upgraded cabin is not in as good a position as it’s near the lifts.

Today they said they would have moved me back to my original cabin but that they wanted to double check and reassure me that the lifts won’t be a problem - as others here have said.

I think the added persuasion was because my original cabin must have been given to someone else already - so unwinding would be difficult.

I think it’s worth taking the upgrade even though the location is not exactly what we wanted - from what people have said here.

This is probably a one off for us - due to the cost - but we wanted to experience Saga - we booked 2 years ago ! But it’s been postponed twice.

I looked at a typical price difference between a standard and deluxe - it’s big !

thanks again for comments and advice 

• Like 3

On 8/19/2022 at 12:13 PM, paulatsea said:

Extracted:

This is probably a one off for us - due to the cost - but we wanted to experience Saga - we booked 2 years ago ! But it’s been postponed twice.

The fact that you have held the same booking for so long is probably why you got the upgrade.

Saga have told me (when I asked why I was being offered an upgrade) that it was because I booked such a long time ago.

I think it is rather nice that in so many things Saga treat everybody equally.

For example, Britannia Club members get quite a lot of perks - but get no priority over newbies for cabin upgrades, booking speciality restaurants, booking excursions etc.

Likewise, booking the top suite gets many in-cabin benefits (according to the brochure, anyway) - but no special treatment elsewhere.

Probably one of the things that make Saga ships feel so friendly - 'tis classless.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nosapphire said:

The fact that you have held the same booking for so long is probably why you got the upgrade.

Saga have told me (when I asked why I was being offered an upgrade) that it was because I booked such a long time ago.

We booked ours on 4th October 2018, but no upgrade for us!  

32 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

Lifts do not effect the cabins. You're more likely to be moved if they want stern D deck for isolations. However I'm seeing little tables outside cabins on our deck E which indicate isolation.

Same deck (B) as originally booked -  but upgraded to a deluxe balcony . I was moved because of the upgrade - it’s just that I was not asked first .

Proximity to lifts affect the cabins as there will be more people milling around and walking passed the cabin etc -  but the upgrade is enough for me to ignore this and I have been advised here that the lifts are not a problem / noisy etc .

hope they don’t “ding” all the time !

The lifts are outside the cabin areas (corridor) and right in front of the stairwells so you don't even see them let alone hear them. We come out of our cabin turn immediately  left then  through a  gap and there's the lifts in a large area way back from cabins  You have nothing to worry about and being near lifts is a bonus. So you weren't asked (naughty Saga) but be grateful as there's a big hike in price#jealous 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

The lifts are outside the cabin areas (corridor) and right in front of the stairwells so you don't even see them let alone hear them. We come out of our cabin turn immediately  left then  through a  gap and there's the lifts in a large area way back from cabins  You have nothing to worry about and being near lifts is a bonus. So you weren't asked (naughty Saga) but be grateful as there's a big hike in price#jealous 

Thanks JoJo - that’s good to know - as others here have said as well.

very grateful for the upgrade - totally unexpected and a first for us.

can’t wait to go - 1 week from tomorrow !!

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 2:12 PM, Wacktle said:

We booked ours on 4th October 2018, but no upgrade for us!  

We are currently on Discovery and booked in September 2020. Not offered an upgrade but there are 877 passengers onboard so not much opportunity for an upgrade. Also told that 20 cabins have been set aside for Covid cases.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Pailatsea, , how did the cabin and lifts workout? 

It was fantastic - no noise from the lifts or from anything at all.

Walk in wardrobe was great.

Big cabin with balcony window doors and an extra side window.

Large bathroom and shower.

Loved it.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I've just reread this thread because we too have been upgraded from standard to deluxe for our Fjords cruise starting a week today. The news came in the form of a letter. We also felt concerned at the position near the lifts but the above posts are reassuring. 

I must admit that we are very pleased, indeed delighted, to get this upgrade especially as this will be only our 2nd Saga cruise but with another booked for next year. 

Happy days. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

I've just reread this thread because we too have been upgraded from standard to deluxe for our Fjords cruise starting a week today. The news came in the form of a letter. We also felt concerned at the position near the lifts but the above posts are reassuring. 

I must admit that we are very pleased, indeed delighted, to get this upgrade especially as this will be only our 2nd Saga cruise but with another booked for next year. 

Happy days. 

If it wasn’t for the advice from people who replied to me here I would have blown the upgrade - and luckily the Saga staff did not action my request to go back to my original Cabin straight away - they waited until I phoned back again the next day and also reassured me about the lack of noise.

You will love it ! Have a great time.

• Thanks 1