Please help! Want to cruise with young children!

jbhunt

Thank you! I am so glad I came across this website. I have been reading all these wonderful posts and now, would like your advice.

I have been on a couple cruises, but when I was young and single. Now, I am married with two children. We would like to take them on a cruise, probably a 4 or 5 day one.

I have read that you pay for the "Mouse." We are not too concerned about cruising with the mouse. I have read that Celebrity and RC have really fantastic programs for kids.

We are planning for a cruise in 2007 or 2009. If it will be in 2007, the ages for our kids will be 3 and 6, respectively.

What would you advise for us. I would like it child friendly, but I really want to spend time with my kids. So, do I really want it too child friendly.:D

Would really like one that offered great food. I have never been on any of these brand-new huge ships. So, it could be a smaller ship.

Please help me find a place to start!

Thanks so much

Barb

Celebrity's program is OK but not nearly as great as RCCI or Carnival. Stick to those two lines and you can't go wrong with the kid's programs on either, regardless of age. But, kids have to be age three and older to participate, and out of diapers.

Thanks, I guess I need new glasses.

I agree with the above poster from what I hear about Celebrity, but does Celebrity have 3 or 4 day cruises??? I would suggest for a 3 or 4 day cruise with children, Disney.

I think RCI or Carnival would be your best bet. Both lines have great kids' programs and are very family-friendly. However, you will probably get a better deal on Carnival.

I would also go for the longest cruise possible. I bet your kids will have such a good time that they will not want to leave!:D

Although Disney is more expensive, sometimes you can find some good pricing on the short cruises.

If you want to go the four or five day cruise, I recommend RCI. Celebrity is more adult/upscale and, while they do have a kids program, it can't compare to RCI. RCI is doing a lot of Crayola sponsored workshops also for the age group of your kids, which seems to be a nice bonus.

If you want to go for a longer cruise of seven days, I suggest Princess. They have a great kids program too, but lots of things for the adults to do and they do offer group babysitting and kids eating together so the adults can eat by themselves. Your kids aren't old enough for the rock climbing and ice skating attractions that RCI offers. And due to the on-discounting RCI policy, you can usually find Princess cruises much cheaper than RCI.

Few kid's programs run all day long on ships. They usually start at 9 or ten, run until 12, then start up again from about 2 until 4 or 5. So you can eat luinch and go to the pool with the kids, etc. Most programs also care for kids from about 7 until ten, with fees after ten. Your kids can eat the evening meal with you and then go to the kid's program; also some nights the kids can eat with the staff at the buffet and go directly to the kid's program. And of course, you never have to leave your children there the whole time--just drop off and pick up as wanted.

I have only sailed two cruiselines - Carnival and Royal Carribbean, and they both appear to have wonderful kids programs. Just a note, if you will be getting an interior/exterior cabin (as opposed to a balcony or suite) the staterooms on Carnival are MUCH LARGER!!! I sailed on a average size boat (Carnival Ecstacy - great cruise by the way) and a similar sized RC boat. I couldn't imagine putting 2 adults and 2 children in a RC sized stateroom. But then again, I have never been in a stateroom with pull out beds for kids, so they may be bigger. Maybe others can comment on this.

Archived