Evidence of Cruise Insurance

We are insured through bank insurance underwritten by one of the major insurance companies and despite phoning and being told cruises are covered, and being sent copies of policies and underwriters cover statement there is no mention of cruises being covered in their literature.

How closely do Tui scrutinise documents prior to boarding?.  We are reluctant to take out cruise specific insurance but will have to if this is insisted upon. We cruised recently with Azamara and they didn’t look at our insurance information.

Does anyone have experience of insurance being checked before boarding or anyone being refused boarding because their insurance didn’t specifically mention cruising?.

Del

Hi Del.

Pre covid my wife used the standard Lloyds bank travel insurance for years, Since

covid Marella have inserted into their terms that you must have Comprehensive cruise cover with covid cover specifically included. For the last couple of cruises that we have done recently  I have bundled my wife’s travel insurance with mine which already included cruise cover, I don’t really know what comprehensive cover means.🤷‍♂️ 
Just before we joined the ships at the port check in they did look at insurance docs along with vaccination proof etc.

Hope this helps.

Perhaps tell us which bank do you have the account with, then someone with a similar account may help.

There is a long thread on cruise insurance on the P&O board if you can find it, which covered lots of providers, but it was several months ago.

I seem to recall that policies underwritten by AXA and Allianz were the most comprehensive, but relatives who have Coop Bank cover told me that policies today are not as comprehensive as the ones they have, as they have had an account with Coop for several years

Ours is via M&S underwritten by Axa however I’m not sure what relevance P&O insurance posts would have to Tui because as I say Azamara didn’t even look at ours so companies probably have different approaches hence my query. I do appreciate people taking time to reply and hopefully others can give examples of their direct experience. We are reluctant to take out additional insurance however if it is essential to get on board with Tui then we will have to. Some might say it is something the cruise companies and insurers have come together on to make more money out of customers.

I bought a TUI single trip policy for my next cruise at a TUI travel agents which is actually an Axa insurance. I just checked the Axa policy wording and cruises are not mentioned. Panic? Maybe not, the insurance certificate printed by the TA mentions cruises in the section on Covid cover specifically what you are covered for if on a cruise.

I hope to have several cruises next year so will be looking for annual cover starting early January next year so it applies to my Explorer Xmas/New year cruise and the other 3 cruises for next year

• Like 1

After being on 5 cruises over the last 12 months. They do indeed check the insurance docs with all the other documents that are needed on a cruise.

Lucky enough, My bank cover us for Insurance (Barclays) £12 PM for £144 PA, it's worth checking your bank to see if they can cover you? Also get Car breakdown cover within that as well.

We have a Lloyds Bank Premiere account that covers us for cruises even though it does not specifically state this but have checked with Allianz the insurance provider.

You can add extra specific cruise cover for missed port and itinerary change an few other things for an additional charge too top up your existing cover.

We are going in February 2023 and will check nearer to the cruise for the cost.

Edited by markmichelle87

13 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Lucky enough, My bank cover us for Insurance (Barclays) £12 PM for £144 PA, it's worth checking your bank to see if they can cover you? Also get Car breakdown cover within that as well.

Can't fault the cover we had through our bank, Nationwide,  but it did become expensive when we reached the age limit as all the declared heath issues, understandably, attracted a large premium. Just make certain you declare all medical issues. 

15 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Can't fault the cover we had through our bank, Nationwide,  but it did become expensive when we reached the age limit as all the declared heath issues, understandably, attracted a large premium. Just make certain you declare all medical issues. 

Yes I always do declare Ailments etc..not that there is a lot at the moment..touch wood? main one was TKN 7 years back

Edited by Rebel Rouser

15 minutes ago, Sicknote said:

I used my Lloyds bank (Allianz) cover last week, they spent a couple of seconds reading the certificate of insurance we'd printed out and found no problems with it.

Sorry but I had to laugh. Re you and the Cruise insurance and you being Sicknote 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markmichelle87 said:

So you didn’t get the extra cover then ? Sicknote

Nope, just the standard one you get with a Lloyds platinum account. The Allianz website lists a few different upgrades that can be added but none relate to cruises.

The only time I think it would need upgrading for a cruise is if you're travelling for more than 31 days.

I also have travel insurance with my Lloyds bank account.   I rang Lloyds and they were happy to send me a letter confirming that cruise cover was included.  They also did the same for another family member who cruised earlier this year. 

Similar to  chris although our worldwide travel insurance is with Nationwide through our flex plus account

Had a letter from Nationwide with policy number,name of insurance company and confirming cruise cover and nothing more.This was given a fleeting glimpse at the port

My take on Marella insisting on “comprehensive”cruise cover is an attempt to direct customers to take out the policy they promote on their website.Comprehensive is a play on words for me

We had what Nationwide call basic cruise cover which was more than enough.They do have an option to upgrade cruise cover at a cost of £40 which covers you for missed ports,confined to cabin etc,an option we have never taken up 

Regret it now as we would have been entitled to £600 from our cruise but no doubt there would have many hoops to jump through to get it.

Hindsight  is a wonderful thing

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for replies. I can see it has generated some other exchanges as well which is always good. We did contact Axa via M&S after I posted the message (but without much hope really) and they have very quickly provided a copy letter which is general in content but does have virtually the same wording as the Barclays policy (thanks Rebel Rouser) so I think we will take our chances that cruise cover is included. If all else fails, we can always take out a policy online when we are in the cruise terminal!.

2 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Hi RR.

what does “whilst onboard a uk cruise” mean.?

I take this to mean the policy also covers you for a cruise from the UK that only visits UK ports or no ports at all like the one i did to the Scottish isles last summer. The insurance companies had to amend their policies. there was considerable discussion on the P&O forum. For example you might not visit a foreign port but you might be evacuated from the ship in  UK waters to a foreign country, for example France or Ireland. Originally the insurance companies did not want to provide cover as you were not going abroad and the NHS would provide cover.

Hi RR.

In general I am a pretty laid back person but because it’s me with the potentially serious ailments I have to double check belt and braces that everything is in place and correct should anything happen when we are away. My OH would crumble in a crisis guaranteed.

The way I see it is it’s easier to sort it and check it’s all in order at my lesuire rather to leave it to a panicking spouse if something went wrong over there. Once it’s done ….Relax.😉😂
Keep well.

23 hours ago, Sicknote said:

Nope, just the standard one you get with a Lloyds platinum account. The Allianz website lists a few different upgrades that can be added but none relate to cruises.

The only time I think it would need upgrading for a cruise is if you're travelling for more than 31 days.

I did find on the Allianz site a page that said you can add cruise cover that was a top up on the normal insurance.

With our Cruise Insurance cover, you get all the great benefits of our Single Trip and Annual insurance policies, but you're
also covered for risks that are unique to cruises, including:
  • Missed port departure:
    If you miss the ship beacuse of public transport delays or your vehicle breaking down on your way to the port, we’ll pay for transport costs so you can catch it at the next port.
  • Cruise interruption:
    If you fall ill and need to be hospitalised ashore, we’ll pay for the travel expenses so you can re-join the cruise when you’re feeling better.
  • Cabin confinement:
    We’ll pay up to your claim limit if you’re ill and the doctor confines you to your cabin. This also applies if there’s a medical situation on board that means you have to stay in your cabin.
  • Cruise itinerary changes:
    If there’s bad weather or a reason why your ship can’t make a scheduled stop, we’ll pay up to the limit shown on your policy.
  • Unused excursions cover:
    If you can’t make a trip or excursion due to injury, illness or the ship not being able to stop as scheduled, we’ll cover you for the unused cost.