Evidence of Cruise Insurance

On 8/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, Jim The Scot said:

Similar to  chris although our worldwide travel insurance is with Nationwide through our flex plus account

Had a letter from Nationwide with policy number,name of insurance company and confirming cruise cover and nothing more.This was given a fleeting glimpse at the port

My take on Marella insisting on “comprehensive”cruise cover is an attempt to direct customers to take out the policy they promote on their website.Comprehensive is a play on words for me

We had what Nationwide call basic cruise cover which was more than enough.They do have an option to upgrade cruise cover at a cost of £40 which covers you for missed ports,confined to cabin etc,an option we have never taken up 

Regret it now as we would have been entitled to £600 from our cruise but no doubt there would have many hoops to jump through to get it.

Hindsight  is a wonderful thing

we took out the Nationwide additional cruise cover at £40 for a year. We were confined to cabin due to covid for 6 days, got home on 14th Auust, put in a claim and attached the letter Cunard gave us confirming our isolation. Just had an email to say they would be paying us £150 per night per person within 7 days. No hoops! 

• Thanks 2

Nice one E 

Your comparing Cunard with Marella 😁😉

Ever the sceptic but not convinced  Marella would have been as accommodating as Cunard and thats only based on our experience of how Marella or should I say private medical team dealt with situ

Anyhow its irrelevant now as chose not to take up the £40 additional cover

Ps

Will certainly contemplate taking out the additional cover for our cruise next year

Edited by Jim The Scot
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, Delbankin said:

We are insured through bank insurance underwritten by one of the major insurance companies and despite phoning and being told cruises are covered, and being sent copies of policies and underwriters cover statement there is no mention of cruises being covered in their literature.

How closely do Tui scrutinise documents prior to boarding?.  We are reluctant to take out cruise specific insurance but will have to if this is insisted upon. We cruised recently with Azamara and they didn’t look at our insurance information.

Does anyone have experience of insurance being checked before boarding or anyone being refused boarding because their insurance didn’t specifically mention cruising?.

Del

We had cruise insurance with holidayextras -

I printed off the insurance document - they just took a very brief look at the document - I think just to check the validity dates and names - didn’t have to go into any details about what the cover was.

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone I’m going on a TUI cruise in august I have Lloyds bank gold account and I’m wondering if anyone recently has used the insurerance that comes with the account ,I have rang them and say cruise is covered but it’s not specifically a cruise insurance ,I have received a cover note from them see below do you think this is good enough thanks for looking 

IMG_0301.jpeg

As stated cruising is covered. However you can usually pay extra for 'cruise cover'. This just covers missed ports due to itinerary changes etc. Personally we don't bother with this but some people do,  if you miss a port due to bad weather or other reasons you could make a claim for each missed port. You must obtain proof of missed port from the ship fir the insurance company.

Thank you for reply I did ask about upgrading but it’s not possible through the bank only if you have policy through there website ,was only concerned as TUI states comprehensive cruise insurance is needed on there site ,so hopefully all will be ok thanks again .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a packaged insurance with First Direct which includes the normal mobile phone and car breakdown. The confirmation of insurance letter they issue contains this wording. 

2FB369C7-B2EB-4163-84C2-BED65B4C2CDB.thumb.jpeg.2c78cc4863ba35d9383b199faf6ba27f.jpeg

I hope this may help someone . The policy is through Aviva.

Edited by duncrieviedude
Typo

On 7/12/2023 at 7:07 PM, Ukfive said:

Hi everyone I’m going on a TUI cruise in august I have Lloyds bank gold account and I’m wondering if anyone recently has used the insurerance that comes with the account ,I have rang them and say cruise is covered but it’s not specifically a cruise insurance ,I have received a cover note from them see below do you think this is good enough thanks for looking 

IMG_0301.jpeg

Hi Ukfive, I've just been prepping for my first cruise at the end of Aug. I rang Allianz and they provided me the same document; I'm going to take it into TUI to confirm I am covered.

As my wife and I are first timers with cruises what is the deal if ports are missed for any reason? Would Marella provide any kind of 'compensation' or is it tied up deep in the caveats and exclusions?

Thanks

Hi FTC,  as previously mentioned all you need is holiday insurance either for Europe or worldwide depending where you are going. This should cover for land based holidays and cruises. If you wish you can purchase 'cruise cover ' as an extra and this will pay up to £150 for each missed port. However it is quite rare to miss a port so we never bother. If the worse comes to the worse you just get an extra sea day.  Marella will not usually compensate if it's too windy to dock etc, they don't miss ports unless it's very necessary. (We once couldn't dock in Agios Nikolas in Crete due to high winds but the captain managed to dock at Heraklion instead.)

Hope you have a great first cruise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FTC1972 said:

Hi Ukfive, I've just been prepping for my first cruise at the end of Aug. I rang Allianz and they provided me the same document; I'm going to take it into TUI to confirm I am covered.

As my wife and I are first timers with cruises what is the deal if ports are missed for any reason? Would Marella provide any kind of 'compensation' or is it tied up deep in the caveats and exclusions?

Thanks

Hi FTC 

i tried going into shop and asking but as it’s not with them they are unable to comment ,but as others have said all should be ok with what we have I have put it down now in Cruise control now ,hope your first cruise goes ok this will be my second off on the 18 aug Greek islands so hopefully fires died down by then .

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 3:12 PM, dronnygirl said:

Hi FTC,  as previously mentioned all you need is holiday insurance either for Europe or worldwide depending where you are going. This should cover for land based holidays and cruises. If you wish you can purchase 'cruise cover ' as an extra and this will pay up to £150 for each missed port. However it is quite rare to miss a port so we never bother. If the worse comes to the worse you just get an extra sea day.  Marella will not usually compensate if it's too windy to dock etc, they don't miss ports unless it's very necessary. (We once couldn't dock in Agios Nikolas in Crete due to high winds but the captain managed to dock at Heraklion instead.)

Hope you have a great first cruise

we decided to add the extra cruise specific insurance last year when we cruised with Cunard. It was £40 for a year for both of us. We ended up with Covid and had to isolate so we got £1800 back for "confined to cabin" which we spent on another cruise! It's personal choice of course, but we've done it again for this year 😀

We went to Italy earlier in the year and our insurance for a week's stay was just over £15. I've just booked a cruise for October and the insurance, including cruise cover, has rocketed to £64! This was one of the cheapest options after looking at several comparison sites. I'm not sure if it's simply the cruise cover or the fact that I turn 60 the week before we depart that has caused this. 

33 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

We went to Italy earlier in the year and our insurance for a week's stay was just over £15. I've just booked a cruise for October and the insurance, including cruise cover, has rocketed to £64! This was one of the cheapest options after looking at several comparison sites. I'm not sure if it's simply the cruise cover or the fact that I turn 60 the week before we depart that has caused this. 

Also, looking at my policy details I see that is specifically excludes "air-sea rescue". This is something I'd expect to see covered  for cruises, or am I worrying unnecessarily? 

On 8/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, vwgolf said:

Also, looking at my policy details I see that is specifically excludes "air-sea rescue". This is something I'd expect to see covered  for cruises, or am I worrying unnecessarily? 

I think you need to speak to your insurance company to check exactly what it does cover.  It's always best to be on the safe side.  It does seem inexpensive but we have annual worldwide cover so ours is quite different 

On 8/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, vwgolf said:

I would think that you should expect the fastest means possible to get ashore if you were unfortunate to suffer a life threatening incident or illness. Hanging around for a rowing boat doesent sound like a good idea.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:26 PM, dronnygirl said:

I think you need to speak to your insurance company to check exactly what it does cover.  It's always best to be on the safe side.  It does seem inexpensive but we have annual worldwide cover so ours is quite different 

Thanks, just checked with them. Apparently a medical transfer from a ship at sea is covered and this is a different thing to an "air-sea rescue". Who knew?! 

1 hour ago, vwgolf said:

Thanks, just checked with them. Apparently a medical transfer from a ship at sea is covered and this is a different thing to an "air-sea rescue". Who knew?! 

Brilliant.  At least your mind will now be at rest so you can just enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1