Viking deposit

linerode

I'm sure the answer is already on here somewhere but searches get you a long list of wrong responses. 

We are looking at booking a Viking river cruise but can't determine whether we must pay the entire amount at booking or can pay a deposit. Help please. 

10 minutes ago, linerode said:

I'm sure the answer is already on here somewhere but searches get you a long list of wrong responses. 

We are looking at booking a Viking river cruise but can't determine whether we must pay the entire amount at booking or can pay a deposit. Help please. 

Best case scenario and assuming your sailing is more than 6 months out.. final payment will be due at the 6 months out mark. If your sailing is sooner then your final payment is typically due at the time of your booking. 

I most likely will not sail Viking unless it is a last minute trip as I won't pay for a cruise a year in advance or pay a significantly higher deposit compared to other river cruise lines.

I don't know if you are new to river cruising but there are a lot of lines that do river cruises (and do them well). Some are ranked higher than Viking, some are equal and some are less. Almost all the other lines have better deposits and final payment schedules than Viking.

Viking has name recognition that is incredibly impressive. Not sure if you are fully committed to Viking but it would be worth looking at Amawaterways, Avalon, Uniworld, Emerald, Scenic, Tauck and a few others I forgot to mention. Compare what is included and what isn't with cost. You might be surprised that some higher lines are priced similar to Viking.

Good luck!

• Like 4

As a solo cruiser, Viking's pricing never works for me.  It's always double.  I can book "aquarium class" on Uniworld or Tauck for no single supplement on a lot of  their cruises, or a reduced supplement in other cabin classes.  Always comes out cheaper than Viking's solo pricing.  Plus, lines like Uniworld and Tauck are more inclusive.  

I usually book my river cruises 1-2 yrs. in advance, and don't want to tie up thousands of dollars with a cruise line earning no dividends or interest on my money. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, linerode said:

I would contact Viking or whoever you booked with. If they tell you at booking - try to negotiate something better. So much has changed during COVID - you really do need to speak with who you plan on booking with.

12 hours ago, Roz said:

Viking's upfront full payment policy is a sticking point for a lot of river cruisers.  One of the reasons some of us sail other lines.

Yes--this is why so many go with other lines. Viking's payment policies are much more stringent than comparable(or even superior) lines. Personally, I would book elsewhere.

• Like 4

@linerodeYour post and profile doesn't give any indication of which country you are booking the cruise.

Viking's payment policy differs in different markets, so  an accurate answer is not possible to your question without knowing if you are booking in Australia, Britain or the USA and thus subject to those policies.

• Like 1

In doing a side by side comparison of Viking and Uniworld, making an adjustment for drinks (2 per person, per day), the total difference was just under $250, in favor of Viking. Considerations includeda balcony cabin, same date and ports, transfers, beverages, gratuities, laundry, etc. Cabins are larger on Uniworld, with a smaller ship occupancy, and with final payments due 90 days before.  Decor on each ship are completely opposite. So, if you like an all inclusive, with all beverages, choose and you will make up the difference in a couple of days. Both lines are great.

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Most cruisers I know don’t make their choices based on the cheapest fare (except that party line that I don’t dare mention by name).

A river cruise “party line?” 😱 Do tell! 😎

56 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

A river cruise “party line?” 😱 Do tell! 😎

Was speaking of cruising in the broader sense, so there is one ocean party line where where folks are very price sensitive, since they just want a floating bar experience. 

19 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Was speaking of cruising in the broader sense, so there is one ocean party line where where folks are very price sensitive, since they just want a floating bar experience. 

Obviously I have not been on that line - are you thinking NCL?