Where to pick up Euros?

chloemonkey

Use ATM and if the machine asks if you want to have it converted…press no.   This way you get Euros and the bank does the conversion fee rather than pay the ATM for converting it.   Cost was about 4-5E for using the machine versus something ridiculous for converting it.   

5 hours ago, CRUIS4ME said:

Use ATM and if the machine asks if you want to have it converted…press no.   This way you get Euros and the bank does the conversion fee rather than pay the ATM for converting it.   Cost was about 4-5E for using the machine versus something ridiculous for converting it.   

The only charge for an ATM associated with a bank in the EU will be from YOUR bank. Fees from ATMs in Europe are usually only from the independent ATM providers, not from banks.

We purchased $300 Euros from our local AAA office!  AAA doesn’t charge any transaction fees for anything over $200. Banks will often add a transaction fee on the purchase price. 

On previous travel to Europe we were able to find ATM’s associated with our bank. We weren’t charged foreign transaction fees!

I doubt we will ever find this again! We flew in to Venice and at the airport they had luggage carts! They had a change machine that if you input a dollar it gave you a EURO! At that time the rate of exchange was extravagant! People were lining up exchanging their dollars! 

53 minutes ago, LJJQ said:

We purchased $300 Euros from our local AAA office!  AAA doesn’t charge any transaction fees for anything over $200. Banks will often add a transaction fee on the purchase price. 

On previous travel to Europe we were able to find ATM’s associated with our bank. We weren’t charged foreign transaction fees!

I doubt we will ever find this again! We flew in to Venice and at the airport they had luggage carts! They had a change machine that if you input a dollar it gave you a EURO! At that time the rate of exchange was extravagant! People were lining up exchanging their dollars! 

But what was the exchange rate..."no fees" usually means a markup on the exchange rate, thus costing you more than an ATM rate. 

51 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

But what was the exchange rate..."no fees" usually means a markup on the exchange rate, thus costing you more than an ATM rate. 

Yes -- AAA is known for having a very unfavorable exchange rate. Probably a wash with ATM charge if only purchasing a small amount -- but for larger amounts (e.g., in the hundreds) the ATM is likely a better deal.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, spunks said:

OK...I post this every once in a while and apparently it needs to be posted more.

The ATM suggestion is absolutely the best of the best places to get Euros. The absolute best way to take advantage of ATM's anywhere in the world is by opening a Charles Schwab account. They reimburse ANY ATM fees. Not only that but because you are getting your own money from the ATM they do not care what currency you ask for. There is no exchange rate. To make it better, you get the up to the time of exchange rate. This makes it the safest way to travel. You never have to get a large amount because you can get as many different withdrawals as you wish.

That said, do not use the Schwab card at resturants or hotels, use your credit card for that.

Doug

Totally, totally agree with *spunks*.  We have the Charles Schwab card and only use it for international travel.  As soon as we land at our destination, we withdraw cash.  As already mentioned, there are no fees, we aren't limited to number of transactions, etc., so it's a real winner while travelling.  For restaurant and shop purchases, we use our VISA card.

About 10 days prior to our US departure, I do a "test run" at our local bank's ATM with the Schwab card, to be sure everything is in working order before leaving US.  This way, I'll have time should we need to order new cards, change our PIN, etc.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:24 AM, MeHeartCruising said:

If possible, use a credit card (one with no international transaction fees) for purchases.  If the credit card machine or merchant asks if you wish the transaction to be processed in the foreign currency or US dollars, pick the foreign currency.  The other way means the merchant will use their own conversion rate first, which will be higher than the credit card company.  It is a way for merchants to make more money from you.

The most solid tip of all - no matter what type of card you have, ALWAYS choose the local currency.  This secret little scam is called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and it really adds up.

For example, I paid for a €200 tour recently via PayPal, and it was trying to charge me in CAD.  Found the settings and asked for the charge in euro, and the difference was almost €19!!