Review of Silver Moon

jtm1

10 minutes ago, jtm1 said:

My review of our July 5 to 15 cruise on Silver Moon can be found here:   https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=690138

We were on the same cruise and tend to agree with most of your comments. We did have dinner once in Kaiseki and that was a once a cruise thing. We enjoyed the Salt Restaurant more with no upcharge. Overall we loved the cruise and we have booked five more cruises on the Dawn, Silver Nova and Silver Ray.

Sounds like we are doing this very similar cruise on the dawn next year finishing in Copenhagen.  We book 3 nights post cruise.  What is the issue with kensekei is it bad the up-charge or just the type of cusine?  Curious what the meals were in sSALT.  Did they have mussels on board?

It’s personal choice and personal taste. Some people love Kaiseki. And some love the dessert there. 

Lone daddy — SALT Kitchen menus change with every port to reflect the local cuisine. Even in Greece, it changed with each Greek port to reflect the cuisine on each Island (i.e., different in Rhodes, Crete, etc.). If I remember correctly, there’s also a menu in SALT for the region/cruise, but also the local menu each day as I describe above. So it really depends where you are cruising to….

I think I have seen mussels onboard…or muscles on the pool deck! 😂

2 hours ago, Herman The Cat said:

Lone daddy — SALT Kitchen menus change with every port to reflect the local cuisine. Even in Greece, it changed with each Greek port to reflect the cuisine on each Island (i.e., different in Rhodes, Crete, etc.). If I remember correctly, there’s also a menu in SALT for the region/cruise, but also the local menu each day as I describe above.

So at SALT on a seaday we get seafood !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2022 at 12:27 PM, Herman The Cat said:

It’s personal choice and personal taste. Some people love Kaiseki. And some love the dessert there. 

Lone daddy — SALT Kitchen menus change with every port to reflect the local cuisine. Even in Greece, it changed with each Greek port to reflect the cuisine on each Island (i.e., different in Rhodes, Crete, etc.). If I remember correctly, there’s also a menu in SALT for the region/cruise, but also the local menu each day as I describe above. So it really depends where you are cruising to….

I think I have seen mussels onboard…or muscles on the pool deck! 😂

We tried Kaiseki for lunch and it was very mediocre so didn’t try dinner there.  SALT Kitchen was very inconsistent.  The fish choices were never great and the menu changed only very slightly with each port if the region was similar.  The included wines were terrible and rarely from the region. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

We tried Kaiseki for lunch and it was very mediocre so didn’t try dinner there.  SALT Kitchen was very inconsistent.  The fish choices were never great and the menu changed only very slightly with each port if the region was similar.  The included wines were terrible and rarely from the region. 

So which ship are you trying next?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

And, of course, this is in your personal opinion.  Correct?  You understand that your preferred wines may, in fact, not suit everyone.  Correct?  Anyone who is actually happy with the wines on offer should not feel like they are not qualified to know a "good wine"?  Correct?

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

It’s a shame you didn’t try dinner in Kaiseki. It may be the same room but lunch and dinner have absolutely nothing in common. I’m not an avid consumer of sushi so lunch wasn’t a highlight. Dinner absolutely was though. It was truly superb. As for the wine it’s a shame you didn’t find one that suited. I Hope they still have my Vouvray! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

on our dawn cruise 2 months ago there was no Tiki. They had another Marlborough Sav blanc which was equal to Tiki.

And my favourite lunch venue was Kaiseki. We have over 50 trips to Japan and many sushi restaurants here in Australia. The sushi was very good at Kaiseki even though they had a lot of rolls to cater for western tastes. I mean does a California roll sound like a Japanese dish.

Some pictures of the food at lunch.

DSC02469.JPG.208997738f38a2e1521a4f9153a45e6b.JPG

DSC02470.JPG.667ca0c59ec7768a1e7cf7afb9d28f67.JPG

DSC00922.thumb.JPG.e87b7c003c82b2c71fd2c43b3227a9f7.JPG

DSC00923.thumb.JPG.36b9ecb706c524e92c761bf362eacb17.JPG

DSC00925.thumb.JPG.9124d16496cffb7fda345697186de48f.JPG

The sashimi was of good quality and the eel,mackerel and sea urchin were very good.

IMHO we know our sushi and wines.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, mysty said:

And, of course, this is in your personal opinion.  Correct?  You understand that your preferred wines may, in fact, not suit everyone.  Correct?  Anyone who is actually happy with the wines on offer should not feel like they are not qualified to know a "good wine"?  Correct?

What?  

• Like 1

Did not like the Tiki.  Seems like my taste in food and wine seems to offend the die-hards.  Others think they know food and wine better and perhaps they do, but they do not know my tastes.  I live near a per-eminent wine region, am a gourmet cook and have dined in some of the best restaurants on the planet so I also know a thing or two and along with my own personal taste feel very qualified to comment on the food and wine on SS.  

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

The sashimi was of good quality and the eel,mackerel and sea urchin were very good.

IMHO we know our sushi and wines.

Your photos look better than what we experienced. We looked at the dinner menu and would have tried it had the lunch been better.

Edited by Gourmet Gal

58 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Did not like the Tiki.  Seems like my taste in food and wine seems to offend the die-hards.  Others think they know food and wine better and perhaps they do, but they do not know my tastes.  I live near a per-eminent wine region, am a gourmet cook and have dined in some of the best restaurants on the planet so I also know a thing or two and along with my own personal taste feel very qualified to comment on the food and wine on SS.  

So which ship are you analyzing next?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

You are missing the point.  Yes, you are very welcome to comment on the food and wine.  However, does your vast experience make you the arbiter of good food and good wine?  The implication that you know better than anyone else is the issue.  You could simply say..."In my opinion".  No one would argue with that!

• Like 3