Lincoln Center Stage -- Disappointing

SunNFunCruzer

47 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I expect that the acoustics would not be good without substantial redesign. the walls in the Lincoln Center venue, including along the hallway appear to be materials that would not reflect sound. The one small window is covered over with a heavy shade during performances as well so minimal hard surfaces to reflect sound.

Also on this cruise the Crows Nest seems to be one of the busiest areas on the ship.

I don’t go to the crows nest a ton but when I do the only time it’s busy is when there is a party or happy hour.  Not speaking of every ship in the fleet, just the ones I’ve been on.

18 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t go to the crows nest a ton but when I do the only time it’s busy is when there is a party or happy hour.  Not speaking of every ship in the fleet, just the ones I’ve been on.

On this cruise the public seating section  near the coffe shop and bar has been busy pretty much all day.  Not many public places on Eurodam ships with a view. 

They are also using a portion on the port side for various lectures.  The EXC side is less busy.  However, with all the glass the accoustics would be horrid without a total remodel, in which case its function as a public viewing area would be pretty much gone.

Edited by ldtr

38 minutes ago, ldtr said:

However, with all the glass the accoustics would be horrid without a total remodel, in which case its function as a public viewing area would be pretty much gone.

Not too long ago, there was live entertainment in the Crows Nest. I don’t recall ever thinking the acoustics were bad. 

• Like 3

Just now, Aquahound said:

Not too long ago, there was live entertainment in the Crows Nest. I don’t recall ever thinking the acoustics were bad. 

Depends upon the type music and type performance. On Noordam coming back from Sydney to Honolulu there was hula and ukulele done there. For most cruise ship performances I doubt any would notice much about acoustics.

Classical music  tends to be impacted a bit more by accoustics.

In addition from the discussions I have had this cruise with ship staff it seems that Lincoln Center does have requirements concerning the use of their name and performance. Staff has said that LC  is involved with the programs, musician selection, etc. Someone commented that they  had requirements for the venue which prevents HAL from doing Lincoln Center on ships that do not have a proper venue. That came out when someone asked why they did not have it on all ships.

24 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Depends upon the type music and type performance. On Noordam coming back from Sydney to Honolulu there was hula and ukulele done there. For most cruise ship performances I doubt any would notice much about acoustics.

Classical music  tends to be impacted a bit more by accoustics.

In addition from the discussions I have had this cruise with ship staff it seems that Lincoln Center does have requirements concerning the use of their name and performance. Staff has said that LC  is involved with the programs, musician selection, etc. Someone commented that they  had requirements for the venue which prevents HAL from doing Lincoln Center on ships that do not have a proper venue. That came out when someone asked why they did not have it on all ships.

Most of what I saw in the CN was a solo guitarist or solo pianist playing downtempo music, and they sounded great. 

Regarding required venues for LSC, their requirements must be pretty low considering current LSC locations. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, SunNFunCruzer said:

Heads up for those sailing the Rotterdam soon. Lower your expectations.

We book HAL mostly for itinerary and Lincoln Center. Some days last week, I could count the audience members on two hands. That is terrible for anyone in Corporate paying attention. Today's program was improved, and the audience multiplied quite nicely. How that audience will fare as they realize the same songs will be played over and over, should provide incentive to the Entertainment team and the quartet itself that their programs should diversify and grow.

We are die-hard LCS fans, but HAL must do better to keep us.

On 8/26/2022 at 9:47 AM, SunNFunCruzer said:

We have smelled smoke, so much so that it chased us off our balcony on numerous occasions. No, we did not complain. The staff is overworked enough without chasing down inconsiderate people who will probably do the same thing as soon as security leaves.

Wow ! So you may not return to HAL and you started this thread because of mediocre musicians but you didn't bother to complain when you were "chased us off our balcony on numerous occasions." by smokers . Wow . 😲

Most of what I saw in the CN was a solo guitarist or solo pianist playing downtempo music, and they sounded great. 

Regarding required venues for LSC, their requirements must be pretty low considering current LSC locations. 

Not sure why you would say that. The current Lincoln Center locations are built with wall with very few hard surfaces that reflect sound, the walls including in the hall ways are materials that will absorb, not reflect sound. The only window is covered with a heavy shade during performances so not sure why you would say that unless it is because people can walk along the hallway that goes through the venue. Though they do have the signs and on my current cruise have people I  that hallway pointing out the signs when the performance is occurring.

From an accoustics and performance point of view the rooms are designed pretty well.

have not seen a piano in CN in years.

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Sadly that was a long time ago, and before they screwed around with the Crows Nest on all the ships except the small ones. The Zaandam still has the original Crows Nest but no entertainment now.  I remember the days when it was so lively there in  the evenings.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Sadly that was a long time ago, and before they screwed around with the Crows Nest on all the ships except the small ones. The Zaandam still has the original Crows Nest but no entertainment now.  I remember the days when it was so lively there in  the evenings.

From an entertainment perspective, HAL has never settled on anything that was consistent.  

Most appropriate, in my opinion, was a solo guitarist/soloist performing that my traveling companion enjoyed on the Noordam.  BB King "worked", but, my, they were loud because of the low ceiling and hard surfaces.  A small combo works well.  We experienced this welcoming in a New Year on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  It was a "Goldilocks" situation:  good and appropriate music for those of us of our generation, not loud.  Nadine and I enjoyed a couple of dances that night.  

It is a shame that the Crow's Nest--which has been and could be again--a good revenue generator for HAL if they would only use the lounge properly.  And, as it was originally designed.  

• Thanks 1