Lincoln Center Stage -- Disappointing

SunNFunCruzer

I just love these "discussions" -   Like I wouldn't cruise because the music isn't up to my standards -  oh my -  I am sooooo pleased to be cruising -  is the entertainment lacking - yep - we rarely go to the shows in the evening any longer.   I know these are opinions - 

I am NOT wearing a mask- thanks for reminding us -   yes i'm awful but it is my choice - I love cruising and I did it with a mask -(hated it) but I did it --

people get sick on cruise ships regularly well before COVID - If it makes you nervous or you don't like the music - stay home - its' that easy 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I was on the same cruise as you and had a wonderful time. I'm not sure how you heard about positive Covid cases or quarantining taking place. No announcements were made about this that I heard. No notices were distributed. As for the crew suffering? Again, how do you know this? I asked several crew members (steward, waitress, bartender, and cleaning person) and they told me that they wanted to remove their masks but couldn't. The cruise was almost normal! I am also happy to answer questions.

If none of the guest-facing staff that you interacted with became Covid positive and disappeared during your cruise, count yourself lucky.  We had substitutions due to staff Covid quarantine. Staff and guests were quarantined. Many of the sick staffers have been on the ship for months, some may have caught Covid in ports, but I'd guess the majority were the victims of cruisers who feel that staff who serve them can wear masks and suffer, but they should not have their cruises "ruined" by having to wear a mask to protect themselves and others. It is the nature of the cruise experience isn't it?... to be catered to and indulged. If staffers told you they prefer a maskless ship, my guess is they were in the minority, or were telling you what you wanted to hear. They are trained that, even straining the reasonable, "the customer is always right", and complaints by guests, even unreasonable ones, can impact their promotions and income. Covid gets them quarantined... trust me, they prefer a mask to quarantine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Some guests get moved to the quarantine floor (the "ward"). Standard policy is that you need to change rooms unless all the quarantine rooms are full. Fear of catching Covid on the Rotterdam under current protocols is reasonable. If I knew what I know now (what actual conditions onboard would be like), when I booked, I would not have booked. Not worth the risk. The coughs became louder and more frequent as the end of the cruise (the 5th, 6th and 7th day approached). Now, in week 2, you can imagine....

I expected with the average age of the HAL cruiser trending so high, extra protocols would be in place. On this Best of Norway cruise, I think the average age is the youngest I've experienced. Many younger Europeans.... Good luck!

Actually  over the past few years HAL has been working on attracting younger cruisers.  Their average age is now similar to Princess and a year or so over Celebrity.  Basically they have brought it down about 5 years so far.  

7 hours ago, esimon said:

I just love these "discussions" -   Like I wouldn't cruise because the music isn't up to my standards -  oh my -  I am sooooo pleased to be cruising -  is the entertainment lacking - yep - we rarely go to the shows in the evening any longer.   I know these are opinions - 

I am NOT wearing a mask- thanks for reminding us -   yes i'm awful but it is my choice - I love cruising and I did it with a mask -(hated it) but I did it --

people get sick on cruise ships regularly well before COVID - If it makes you nervous or you don't like the music - stay home - its' that easy 

Ironically it sounds like Lincoln Center is running the same routine that they were running pre-covid.  The musicians I have talked with have indicated that set of songs that they play is pre-defined and they do not have either control or input into the music that is played each night.  What I have not been able to find out is if the music list  is set at corporate and/or if Lincoln Center has any involvement in setting the programs based upon their agreement and HAL's use of their name.

8 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Ironically it sounds like Lincoln Center is running the same routine that they were running pre-covid.  The musicians I have talked with have indicated that set of songs that they play is pre-defined and they do not have either control or input into the music that is played each night.  What I have not been able to find out is if the music list  is set at corporate and/or if Lincoln Center has any involvement in setting the programs based upon their agreement and HAL's use of their name.

I doubt this is true.  When the cellist was absent the first week, the trio of women played songs from their home countries.... I believe South Korea, Romania and the US (TN).  Some arrangements were written by their friends, so, maybe pre-Covid you were correct, but its a new world post-Covid. 

Since that original program was created, I see no reason why so many other songs and programs need to be repeated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I doubt this is true.  When the cellist was absent the first week, the trio of women played songs from their home countries.... I believe South Korea, Romania and the US (TN).  Some arrangements were written by their friends, so, maybe pre-Covid you were correct, but its a new world post-Covid. 

Since that original program was created, I see no reason why so many other songs and programs need to be repeated.

If they did do that it might have been because the Cellist was absent and therefore they could not follow the planned routine.  Very unusual for LC to deviate from the planned play list.  Been on several cruises both before and after Covid.  On the ones I have been on the playlist has been almost exactly the same.  

Will be boarding another HAL ship this Saturday.  Will see what the musicians have to say if they have any more ability to set their program then on previous cruises.

Edited by ldtr

31 minutes ago, highscar said:

Originally the Lincoln was in a comfortable bar setting. With sofas and small cocktail tables. Much more cosy and intermit.   Not the theater it is now.  

But one drawback is that on non-Pinnacle class ships, Lincoln Center is near the main dining room and has a lot of foot traffic passing by who don't always adhere to the "quiet please - performance going on" request.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Originally the Lincoln was in a comfortable bar setting. With sofas and small cocktail tables. Much more cosy and intermit.   Not the theater it is now.  

I do miss the classy Explorer's Lounge Bar. Now the LCS area (without the bar) is empty most of the time. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

If none of the guest-facing staff that you interacted with became Covid positive and disappeared during your cruise, count yourself lucky.  We had substitutions due to staff Covid quarantine. Staff and guests were quarantined. Many of the sick staffers have been on the ship for months, some may have caught Covid in ports, but I'd guess the majority were the victims of cruisers who feel that staff who serve them can wear masks and suffer, but they should not have their cruises "ruined" by having to wear a mask to protect themselves and others. It is the nature of the cruise experience isn't it?... to be catered to and indulged. If staffers told you they prefer a maskless ship, my guess is they were in the minority, or were telling you what you wanted to hear. They are trained that, even straining the reasonable, "the customer is always right", and complaints by guests, even unreasonable ones, can impact their promotions and income. Covid gets them quarantined... trust me, they prefer a mask to quarantine.

I guess my point is I was on the same ship as you and I thought Covid was gone. I didn't notice any sick staffers. Of course, why would I? They aren't any more my concern than sick co-workers are. If you look for Covid, you will find it. I have moved on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, highscar said:

At the start, they played in the Explorer Lounge as it was set up as "the Explorer Lounge".  It was a different "atmosphere".  (I really hadn't thought about this until I read your post.  Thank you.)  Now, even if they play in a ship's Explorer Lounge, the seats are arranged as a theater.  It is a different "vibe".  This way, though, everyone can see the performers.  Is that really important?  Are we attending to hear the music or to watch the performers "perform"?  

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

The musicians I have talked with have indicated that set of songs that they play is pre-defined and they do not have either control or input into the music that is played each night

This is the case with the groups in the Rolling Stone Rock Room and Billboard on Board.  There is another issue as well.  In most--if not all of--these groups, they are hired as individual musicians and not as a group.  Therefore, they have to "come together and work as a group" once they are hired.  Both of my Nephews are musicians and have told me this is not always easily accomplished.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

At the start, they played in the Explorer Lounge as it was set up as "the Explorer Lounge".  It was a different "atmosphere".  (I really hadn't thought about this until I read your post.  Thank you.)  Now, even if they play in a ship's Explorer Lounge, the seats are arranged as a theater.  It is a different "vibe".  This way, though, everyone can see the performers.  Is that really important?  Are we attending to hear the music or to watch the performers "perform"?  

This is the case with the groups in the Rolling Stone Rock Room and Billboard on Board.  There is another issue as well.  In most--if not all of--these groups, they are hired as individual musicians and not as a group.  Therefore, they have to "come together and work as a group" once they are hired.  Both of my Nephews are musicians and have told me this is not always easily accomplished.  

This link is for the audition process for Lincoln Center on board HAL ships.

https://experiencerws.com/lincoln-center-stage/

23 hours ago, ldtr said:

This link is for the audition process for Lincoln Center on board HAL ships.

https://experiencerws.com/lincoln-center-stage/

Thanks for posting this information.  Something new for me.  At the maximum salary, for a 12 year period, along with the other benefits mentioned, that's a decent wage for the age of the musicians whom I have observed.  Health insurance is not mentioned, I noticed.  A single cabin was part of the package.  I assume that is somewhere along or below I-95 on the ships.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for posting this information.  Something new for me.  At the maximum salary, for a 12 year period, along with the other benefits mentioned, that's a decent wage for the age of the musicians whom I have observed.  Health insurance is not mentioned, I noticed.  A single cabin was part of the package.  I assume that is somewhere along or below I-95 on the ships.  

Guest status too…. That would be one way to rack up Mariner status.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:29 PM, SunNFunCruzer said:

If you mean "safely from Covid" the back of Deck 9 on the port side closest to aft is your best bet. This is the rear of the lido buffet, although the smoke from the starboard side of deck 9 at times is unbearable. And it feels yucky, like you're breathing in someone else's exhale.

The smokers are numerous.... on the lido and on their balconies, sadly.

Although there are negatives on these posts, we've enjoyed the cruise, obviously just not as much as we would have if people were more courteous, respectful, thoughtful and conscientious.

Is smoking permitted on balconies ?

We thought smoking wasn't allowed on balconies also, but smelled smoke when we were outside on our balcony.  When we asked staff about this, we were told that smoking was allowed on quarantine cabin balconies, which were near to us.  Disappointing to smell smoke when we thought it was a non-smoking environment.

31 minutes ago, kapitch said:

We thought smoking wasn't allowed on balconies also, but smelled smoke when we were outside on our balcony.  When we asked staff about this, we were told that smoking was allowed on quarantine cabin balconies, which were near to us.  Disappointing to smell smoke when we thought it was a non-smoking environment.

Oh, I hadn't thought about the issue of smoking for quarantined people. I can understand why they would allow it but it's certainly not fair to the neighboring cabins.

On 8/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, SunNFunCruzer said:

Heads up for those sailing the Rotterdam soon. Lower your expectations. While the ship and staff are 5 star, the highlight for us, Lincoln Center Stage, is falling flat (figuratively and literally). We just began week 2 of the Best of Norway cruise. For the first week, the quartet was a trio of women, who repeated songs in multiple programs and who frequently sounded off (I'm looking at you violinist).

A few days ago, the male cellist returned to the ensemble, and there was appreciable improvement. This afternoon's program, that will be repeated again at 7pm, was another mashup of programs that will be played throughout the week. Many songs we heard sans the cellist last week. The programs last ~30-35 minutes, and at most 3 programs a day a performed, why there is so much repetition is both mind-boggling and disappointing.

We book HAL mostly for itinerary and Lincoln Center. Some days last week, I could count the audience members on two hands. That is terrible for anyone in Corporate paying attention. Today's program was improved, and the audience multiplied quite nicely. How that audience will fare as they realize the same songs will be played over and over, should provide incentive to the Entertainment team and the quartet itself that their programs should diversify and grow.

We are die-hard LCS fans, but HAL must do better to keep us.

For those Covid conscious.... Mask wearing and social distancing are both nearly non-existent. Staff and passengers from last week to this have been diagnosed positive and quarantined. The staff are excellent.... Top to Bottom. The Captain makes multiple daily requests to wear masks indoors and when social distancing is not possible, yet the announcements fall on deaf ears. Sadly, it seems the staff bear the brunt, and that's a real shame.

Happy to answer any questions I can. 

Just curious - where would you go if HAL doesn't do better to keep you?  

15 hours ago, true45 said:

Is smoking permitted on balconies ?

We have smelled smoke, so much so that it chased us off our balcony on numerous occasions. No, we did not complain. The staff is overworked enough without chasing down inconsiderate people who will probably do the same thing as soon as security leaves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1