Food allergies & dining app-Tips?

CruisinFinsUp

A family member has anaphylactic tree nut allergies.    In the past we've done traditional dining & the head waiters have done an amazing job taking care of her.  

With the new dining app and all the fun that goes along with it, HOW do we navigate the allergy pre-ordering if we are seated at a different table / time every night?  

Any recommendations or tips that you have would be greatly appreciated!   

Thanks!   

13 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

A family member has anaphylactic tree nut allergies.    In the past we've done traditional dining & the head waiters have done an amazing job taking care of her.  

With the new dining app and all the fun that goes along with it, HOW do we navigate the allergy pre-ordering if we are seated at a different table / time every night?  

Any recommendations or tips that you have would be greatly appreciated!   

Thanks!   

DH has same allergy - even though we make note of it in app, we still have to speak to head waiter (and often remind him each evening) as well as the wait staff each course.  Amazing how many times he has been offered a dessert that contained nuts.  

My older son is also deathly allergic to peanut/tree nuts.  We just came back couple weeks ago on the Majestic Princess and like others have said, we booked the same dinner time each night in order to secure the same waiter/table.

As you said, it's much easier to just explain to one waiter the various allergies.  That's what happened to us as after we told the waiter of the allergy on day 1, for the rest of the cruise, our waiter would check with the kitchen prior to us showing up such that when he provides us the menus, he spells out what items on the menu is off limits to my son. That way you are ahead of the curve in what you plan to order.

Oh, yeah, the phone app and online allergy request info -  been there, done that.  Basically useless I don't think anyone has time to read it. Not one person ever approached us on the allergy even though it was on the app and in theory ties to the medallion that he wore the entire cruise.

We submitted the allergy info via the web page and you will receive the following email. Yeah, OK, thanks for replying...

image.thumb.png.b5602fbbeb5d19fd97acb6e4be8fa5c6.png

• Like 1

Once your allergy is on your app it comes up on the screen the restrurant staff use. We were in club class and each evening the hostess would come to the table with copy of the next days meal menus for you to choose your dishes so that they are very aware of the problem.

Thanks all.   We've had no issues for many years of cruising when we've booked Traditional dining.  We put the allergy in the personalizer, we'd get the confirmation email, they'd have no idea on the ship but we'd go the first day to the Maitre'd  open house and he would set us up perfectly.   No issues in many years of cruising! 

With the new app, all I've read are stories of folks not being able to get the "Traditional" experience no matter what they do.   That has had me concerned.  We don't want to have to explain and start fresh with a new team every night.  

From what I'm reading here it seems like the earlier reports of people not being able to book same table same time every night in the app are no longer.  

With her allergy we prefer to only deal with one team.  I hope we can book a "Traditional" experience in the app too!  

Thanks!

Edited by CruisinFinsUp

20 hours ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Thanks all.   We've had no issues for many years of cruising when we've booked Traditional dining.  We put the allergy in the personalizer, we'd get the confirmation email, they'd have no idea on the ship but we'd go the first day to the Maitre'd  open house and he would set us up perfectly.   No issues in many years of cruising! 

With the new app, all I've read are stories of folks not being able to get the "Traditional" experience no matter what they do.   That has had me concerned.  We don't want to have to explain and start fresh with a new team every night.  

From what I'm reading here it seems like the earlier reports of people not being able to book same table same time every night in the app are no longer.  

With her allergy we prefer to only deal with one team.  I hope we can book a "Traditional" experience in the app too!  

Thanks!

You definitely should speak 1st night with the Maitre’d and tell them due to the serious allergy you will need the same table and staff every night.  We’ve been able to do that, no problem.  

I would also put it in the cruise personalizer.

Check in

Move down

under your name

dietary restrictions 

This will alert the dining venues. Also, you will need to remind them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/23/2022 at 4:01 PM, PacnGoNow said:

You definitely should speak 1st night with the Maitre’d and tell them due to the serious allergy you will need the same table and staff every night.  We’ve been able to do that, no problem.  

I would also put it in the cruise personalizer.

Check in

Move down

under your name

dietary restrictions 

This will alert the dining venues. Also, you will need to remind them.

Thanks for your clear instructions.  I found what I needed to alert Princess that I cannot be served dairy products.  Of course, it remains to be seen what they do with this information.

On 8/22/2022 at 2:15 PM, brisalta said:

There is a section in the Medallion App where you can enter allergies.

There is also a section in the web based Cruise Personalizer where you can enter allergies.

Unfortunately entering it into the app does not do any good. I have a dairy allergy and ordered a sandwich that was served to me with cheese.