Apex - Tender Timing for Grand Cayman?

carolina_yankee

Our first Celebrity cruise and first tender port - Grand Cayman.  We are on the Apex, which might impact that answer giving their improved tendering efficiency.

All ashore is10:00 am. We want to book a non-ship excursion that has 11 am as the start time. What is the process for tendering when you new, not using Celebrity, and nowhere near anybody’s priority? (LOL)  Is it likely we can be off the ship and meet our tour at the pier at 11:00?  I’m assuming they know the game, but I’m new at this and don’t!

27 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

We are on the Apex, which might impact that answer giving their improved tendering efficiency.

E-class do not necessarily use their own tenders in all locations---many ports require the use of local tenders.

Grand Cayman usually uses their own tenders, but they are large.  You most likely will make it, however if there is any delay in beginning the process you could be out of luck.  First priority is to early shore excursions, suite guests, and Elite plus and above (or maybe Elite?).  

Also, this is a port that is sometimes skipped due to sea conditions (has happened to us a couple of time) so make sure you can get a refund if the ship can't visit.

Edited by phoenix_dream

If  not on a ship's excursion or you do not have suite priority you won't be first,

Sea conditions can result in missing the port or long tender delays.,

One time they actually  changed side of ship for tenders..and  another time loaded

Pax one at a time every few minutes...rough seas. Someone got hurt getting on..further delay!

No guarantees on any given day and unfortunately  no way to predict  if u will have a good day or delays..Good luck

This is a tour booked through shoreexcusionsgroup so I’ll have to assume they know what they’re doing with the timing. Definitely refundable if we miss the port. We would book through Celebrity except their vendor assumes 71 is too old to take a bus to a botanic garden or climb a flight of stairs. Sigh.

Just know that Grand Cayman does not “spring forward, fall back”. From March to November, Grand Cayman is one hour behind Florida time. The rest of the year, the time is the same.

But there can be an issue between ship time and port time depending on what time of the year you cruise and if the ship remains on daylight savings time or changes to local time.

On our first time to Grand Cayman with a private tour, we rushed ashore, only to have to hang out for an hour. And on the opposite side, when we thought we had time to shop at the port, we had to get back on the tender.

Edited by cyntil8ing

We been on many cruises scheduled to stop at Grand Cayman.   I say it is a 50 50 chance of stopping there.   If the seas are too rough they will skip the port as it is too dangerous for the tenders.  

Hope it works out for you 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

7 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Just know that Grand Cayman does not “spring forward, fall back”. From March to November, Grand Cayman is one hour behind Florida time. The rest of the year, the time is the same.

But there can be an issue between ship time and port time depending on what time of the year you cruise and if the ship remains on daylight savings time or changes to local time.

On our first time to Grand Cayman with a private tour, we rushed ashore, only to have to hang out for an hour. And on the opposite side, when we thought we had time to shop at the port, we had to get back on the tender.

4 hours ago, miched said:

We been on many cruises scheduled to stop at Grand Cayman.   I say it is a 50 50 chance of stopping there.   If the seas are too rough they will skip the port as it is too dangerous for the tenders.  

Hope it works out for you 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I thought about the DST change - fortunately it’s the week before our ship departs on 11/12 so Florida time and Cayman time will be the same. 

I odn’t know if November seas are calmer are rougher! We also stop at Belize two days earlier, another tender port, so I’ll have a sense of how things are - not that they are close to each other, but still.

As you will see...

Tendering in Belize is in smooth waters..long ride to the port stop.

Nothing like GC...open water, wavey and  rough on some days!

Excursion vendors are  def on top of things...they will sometimes make everyone wait til all their clients have landed on shore.  Good luck..have fun!

2 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

I thought about the DST change - fortunately it’s the week before our ship departs on 11/12 so Florida time and Cayman time will be the same. 

I odn’t know if November seas are calmer are rougher! We also stop at Belize two days earlier, another tender port, so I’ll have a sense of how things are - not that they are close to each other, but still.

Great question! We are on your sailing and had not been to GC or Belize in many years. Need to start thinking about what to do there.

See you on our Roll Call thread!

18 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

This is a tour booked through shoreexcusionsgroup so I’ll have to assume they know what they’re doing with the timing. Definitely refundable if we miss the port. We would book through Celebrity except their vendor assumes 71 is too old to take a bus to a botanic garden or climb a flight of stairs. Sigh.

I remember that from another post.  It was a ridiculously low age restriction as I have done it with no issues as a senior.  Fingers crossed for you.  If you would, give us a report back on how it goes.  I may need to do the same thing this winter as I hit 71 in September and I love that garden.  We looked into a taxi but I think it was around $75 each way - too much to justify that approach.

I've been scheduled to go to Grand Cayman on cruises 15 times (yes my DH keeps track of these things!) and we've only missed it twice due to bad weather.  Hope you luck out as well.

7 hours ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

Great question! We are on your sailing and had not been to GC or Belize in many years. Need to start thinking about what to do there.

See you on our Roll Call thread!

It’s not very active, but it’s good to know there are others here on the cruise! I’m surprised at the limited excursions Celebrity offers, both in number and variety, for Belize and Grand Cayaman. Looking at third party, it seems like there are plenty of other options. Probably a sign of post-pandemic world.

27 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I remember that from another post.  It was a ridiculously low age restriction as I have done it with no issues as a senior.  Fingers crossed for you.  If you would, give us a report back on how it goes.  I may need to do the same thing this winter as I hit 71 in September and I love that garden.  We looked into a taxi but I think it was around $75 each way - too much to justify that approach.

I've been scheduled to go to Grand Cayman on cruises 15 times (yes my DH keeps track of these things!) and we've only missed it twice due to bad weather.  Hope you luck out as well.

We’re staying on board for some stops and doing things at others. Another couple is going with us with significant health limitations, so some of the cruise is just to hang with them and be catered to! I’m glad to hear that the gardens has its fans. It looks neat, and we want to some nature and culture stuff.

Honestly, booking a taxi round trip is cheaper than an excursion for two, but the various excursions do offer more things than the one stop. Is there food at or around the gardens? It could be worth it to just arrange a taxi with a long enough drop off to relax, explore, take photos, enjoy a snack or meal, and head back to town.