Using O Air and arriving in NYC on day of cruise

tropicalkerry2002

I have always booked my own air, or paid the deviation fee to arrive early and leave late. I have booked an NYC-NYC cruise to Bermuda for Sept 2023.

I have no wish to spend time in NYC before or after the cruise, and will be flying form Toronto. It won't be snowing, I hope!

I like the fact that O provides transfer to and from ship to airport, as that can be quite pricey, from what I've seen.

Has anyone had experience with O supplied flights from YYZ-JFK? What time did you arrive in NYC? Any problems with cancellations? I realize ALL is different post-Covid, but want to know if I'm making a mistake....

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002
added info

1 minute ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

I have always booked my own air, or paid the deviation fee to arrive early and leave late. I have booked an NYC-NYC cruise to Bermuda for Sept 2023.

I have no wish to spend time in NYC before or after the cruise, and will be flying form Toronto. It won't be snowing, I hope!

Has anyone had experience with O supplied flights from YYZ-JFK? What time did you arrive in NYC? Any problems with cancellations? I realize ALL is different post-Covid, but want to know if I'm making a mistake....

Thanks in advance!

If you book with O, you (or the ship if you’re enroute) will have to contact their Air Department to make any changes related to flight delays/cancellations. That can be helpful if you’re not air-savvy. BUT, while you’re on the phone trying to connect with them (or waiting on the ship for them to arrange something without your initial input), DIYers are already in direct contact with the airlines grabbing what few seats may be available on other flights.

”Been there - done that”’ on Nautica’s last pre-Covid shutdown cruise when destination Singapore became Dubai. Folks with O air were told new flights would be done for them while we DIYers were provided use of multiple no charge satellite phones to make our own changes. My half hour wait in line netted me my new “Plan A” itinerary with no departure delay. Many who used O air also got good routings but quite a few had there trip home delayed by at least a day and then had less than desirable connections as well.

We flew into LGA 

I had the deviation for the return flight  from the UK  so I chose the outbound flight as well

We got the 11 am flight  but it was a bit delayed  but  we made it in time but I was stressed out 

I would choose  an early flight  that works for you incase A/C decides to cancel a flight or change the aircraft

I booked  a private car  service in NYC  it was worth it

Can you email me ..I lost your email

Thanks

Lyn

Its getting out of Toronto that may be the problem...still voted the worst or second worst airport in the world..with Ottawa being second...

we are going in November( transatlantic), we initially had O air and would fly over night to Barcelona. With what is going on in our airport, we decided to go two days earlier, cancelled the O flight to be able to maneuver our own....hoping that two days ahead will be enough to get there...

also for the first time since we started cruising, a good 25 years ago, we are going with a knapsack and a carry on...just too many horror stories with luggage...and even if your luggage arrives, you can be waiting for it for hours...

travel has become very difficult, many have given up since coming home sick or seeing so many get sick...but we are still hoping to be able to find enjoyment amidst all the obstacles....

johthomas100z at gmail dot com

After 30+ years of cruising I never ever fly In the same day. It’s not just snow. Thunderstorms, ATC issues, mechanical problems, staffing, etc. can and do delay flights. It’s just not worth the stress or disappointment of missing the ship. I have seen it too many times. 

Even when we drive to Port Everglades or Miami (3 hours) we stay the night. I understand not wanting to spend the night in the city, but you can get a later flight and just find an airport hotel. 

• Like 5

Thanks everyone. I KNOW I should fly in at LEAST the day before, and always have on previous cruises. This will eat away at me if I don't arrive the day before...It's just that there are so many flights from YYZ-NYC, I figure I'd get there before sailaway, even if I have to rebook on day of. Decisions, decisions!

Will email soon, Lyn!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billf0401 said:

Why have all the stress....Never fly on the day of departure....For example look at the number of cancellations just yesterday....Please stop with the indecision and change your flight.

There are flights every hour from YYZ  to JFK or LGA   so not a big deal here

I usually fly in a day or more early but for NYC  it is not so bad  maybe except if you were going in Dec -Mar 😉