What do you choose for your first embarkation lunch?

zhuangcorp

We are going on our first HAL cruise in September.  So far, based on this thread, my embarkation day lunch is looking like:

Lido Salad

Peanut Butter Pie

Key Lime Pie

Bread Pudding...

I feel like all the food groups are covered here... right?🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, KiwiGal117 said:

We are going on our first HAL cruise in September.  So far, based on this thread, my embarkation day lunch is looking like:

Lido Salad

Peanut Butter Pie

Key Lime Pie

Bread Pudding...

I feel like all the food groups are covered here... right?🤣

Me:
Peanut Butter Pie

Key Lime Pie

Bread Pudding

Pea Soup

Bitterballen

French Onion Soup

• Like 1

The MDR lunch menu is a bit underwhelming nowadays post-COVID. Plus the limited window of opening hours makes me prefer the lido plus dive-in. To avoid sitting in the crowded lido, I head to either the main swimming pool area or the aft non-smoking area. If on Pinnacle ships, the Dutch cafe is certainly a good option, if you don't mind waiting a few minutes longer for your food compared to Dive In or Lido buffet.

9 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

The MDR lunch menu is a bit underwhelming nowadays post-COVID. Plus the limited window of opening hours makes me prefer the lido plus dive-in. To avoid sitting in the crowded lido, I head to either the main swimming pool area or the aft non-smoking area. If on Pinnacle ships, the Dutch cafe is certainly a good option, if you don't mind waiting a few minutes longer for your food compared to Dive In or Lido buffet.

The MDR lunch says 11;30 to 1pm. Does that mean you need to finish eating by 1pm, or 1pm is last time to get seated?

What was the MDR lunch menu like before covid?

7 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

The MDR lunch says 11;30 to 1pm. Does that mean you need to finish eating by 1pm, or 1pm is last time to get seated?

Regarding the Lido, it means that they close the service stations (stop serving) at 1pm. you can take as much time as you want, and/or linger there after that time.

I don't feel that the MDR lunch menu has changed all that much (if any) post COVID. It has always been somewhat limited as far as choices, but also always very good.

3 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Before, there were more plated entrees and fewer sandwiches. It also was different than the lunch menu on the sea days. Nowadays if you missed the embarkation MDR lunch, you can go to the MDR on a sea day and see the same options. 

As for hours, others can confirm on the effective closing time, but I usually travel with a family group and it's hard to get everyone to muster on time for lunch. Plus sometimes you don't actually board until 12 PM, let's say, and between needing to rest a bit from the travel chaos in the morning plus having to do time-sensitive stuff like booking restaurant reservations, it's quite a rush to make it in time. It's certainly more feasible to make the hours if you're just travelling as a pair or solo.

I have been heading to the MDR lately.   After the rush of embarkation I like to relax a bit and don't enjoy the crowds in the Lido.  I can sit in the MDR and have a nice glass of wine and a decent meal.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, zhuangcorp said:

But in the MDR, do they kick you out of the room at 1pm? or do they just stop taking seats at 1pm?

Can you come in at 12:45 and start ordering?

As long as you arrive and are seated prior to closing time, they will take your order(s), and you can enjoy your meal. They won't kick you out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

But in the MDR, do they kick you out of the room at 1pm? or do they just stop taking seats at 1pm?

I have never felt rushed to leave during embarkation day lunch in the dining room.  Respecting the Stewards' duty time and other issues for them on this busy day, arriving "sooner than later" would obviously be appreciated.  

7 hours ago, YAKE said:

I’m planning to go to the Grand Dutch Cafe for our first meal on the Koningsdam.

I think that I would do so if on a ship that had Grand Dutch Cafe rather than the MDR as a change in routine for me.

7 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Which dishes do you want to try?

The Dutch Pea Soup with a Ham and Gouda Cheese Sandwich.  Apple Pie would be the dessert.  Two glasses of draft Heineken Beer, at least.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Regarding the Lido, it means that they close the service stations (stop serving) at 1pm. you can take as much time as you want, and/or linger there after that time.

I don't feel that the MDR lunch menu has changed all that much (if any) post COVID. It has always been somewhat limited as far as choices, but also always very good.

The mdr menu was completely different before Covid.  It changed every day.  Now it’s the same no matter what.

1 hour ago, zhuangcorp said:

The mdr was not open on any of my cruises on the koningsdam so that option might not be open to you.  I see you mentioned bitterballen for lunch.  They don’t start serving them until 4 or 4:30 at the Dutch cafe so it will be a late lunch.

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

The mdr was not open on any of my cruises on the koningsdam so that option might not be open to you.  I see you mentioned bitterballen for lunch.  They don’t start serving them until 4 or 4:30 at the Dutch cafe so it will be a late lunch.

I think bitterballen is now on the lunch menu in MDR 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I see you mentioned bitterballen for lunch.  They don’t start serving them until 4 or 4:30 at the Dutch cafe so it will be a late lunch.

I do recall a time frame for them to be available at the Grand Dutch Cafe.  I think you are correct.

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The mdr menu was completely different before Covid.  It changed every day.  Now it’s the same no matter what.

For some time, the embarkation lunch in the MDR did not seem to change much, if at all.  During my most recent pre-Covid cruises, there were some small variations in some of the courses.  

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think bitterballen is now on the lunch menu in MDR 

I'll have Bitterballen for my first course, a double order for my main course, and for dessert, if available, Apple Strudel with a side of Bitterballen, please, Mr. Steward.  

And, please, tell the Wine Steward (if such a position exists anymore) to make a visit to me ASAP.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'll have Bitterballen for my first course, a double order for my main course, and for dessert, if available, Apple Strudel with a side of Bitterballen, please, Mr. Steward.  

You won’t be having it in the mdr.  I just posted the menu.  If it was in the mdr I would have had it by now.  That 4 or 4:30 time frame doesn’t work great for me unless I’m skipping dinner or having something lighter.  I can’t eat like that or I’d be gaining 20 lbs and I’m active.

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is a veal Kroket that I feel is similar but it’s not the same 

Agree.  Personally, Bitterballen is a Dutch snack type item and really not appropriate for a first or whatever course.