Progress on Viking Saturn?

coljack

🤔 Hmmm, the webcam hasn’t updated since yesterday evening…camera issue? secret mission to pick up Finse? Manfredi pirating the whole ship to increase the size of the Crystal Fleet?….inquiring (nosy) minds want to know!😂

IMG_5300.png

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

🤔 Hmmm, the webcam hasn’t updated since yesterday evening…camera issue? secret mission to pick up Finse? Manfredi pirating the whole ship to increase the size of the Crystal Fleet?….inquiring (nosy) minds want to know!😂

Forgot to pay the internet bill?

Perhaps a good sign - it's under 3 weeks before the first scheduled cruise on May 9! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, mikerem48 said:

My wife and I have been on over 26 cruises, 5 with Viking River.  We are looking forward to cruising on a new Viking Ocean ship from NYC to Oslo.  We are also taking the extended tour after the cruise.  These extensions are sometimes almost better than the cruise.  See you soon!

Hello Mike and Wife -

If you are on Saturn, I hope you are meaning you are going NYC to Bergen.  I don't believe the ship itself goes Bergen to Oslo.  Perhaps you are doing the train extension?  

Be sure to check out the individual Roll Calls as well.

I think the real progress we'll here is when/if we get reports from those who are on the first voyage out of Italy to Barcelona.  (May 2?)

42 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hello Mike and Wife -

If you are on Saturn, I hope you are meaning you are going NYC to Bergen.  I don't believe the ship itself goes Bergen to Oslo.  Perhaps you are doing the train extension?  

Be sure to check out the individual Roll Calls as well.

I think the real progress we'll here is when/if we get reports from those who are on the first voyage out of Italy to Barcelona.  (May 2?)

First voyage is out of Rome on May 2nd.  AIS still has the Saturn in Fincantieri's Ancona yard.  Not sure why the Panomax camera is off today.  Noticed it one time in the past.

Panomax cam still not reactivated.  Took a look online to get cruise length from Ancona to Civitavecchia.  At 14 knots the time estimate is 3 days.  That's if they head directly to Civitavecchia.  Not sure where they provision the ship.  If it's in Civitavecchia, add at least another day.  Assuming the May 2nd itinerary goes off on time, Saturn should leave Ancona in the next day or two.  AIS still has it in the Fincantieri yards in Ancona.

image.thumb.png.0090a0ad818d32e2be23d6aef63636f8.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wynnsr said:

Panomax cam still not reactivated.  Took a look online to get cruise length from Ancona to Civitavecchia.  At 14 knots the time estimate is 3 days.  That's if they head directly to Civitavecchia.  Not sure where they provision the ship.  If it's in Civitavecchia, add at least another day.  Assuming the May 2nd itinerary goes off on time, Saturn should leave Ancona in the next day or two.  AIS still has it in the Fincantieri yards in Ancona.

image.thumb.png.0090a0ad818d32e2be23d6aef63636f8.png

That website doesn't provide accurate results, as can be seen from the route shown. Those aren't even close to the vessel's courses. Actual distance is 824 n.mls.

At 18 kts, the steaming time is about 1 day 22 hrs . Allowing 1 hr for departure and an hour for arrival, the transit should be close to 2-days. By increasing to 19.5 kts they can knock 4 hrs off the transit, but at a cost of 20 - 25% more bunkers. At a more economical 14.5 kts it is 2 days 9 hrs steaming, so about 2.5 days when considering arrival & departures.

They can take stores at the fitting out berth in Ancona and also in Civitavecchia. If they arrived Civitavecchia a day early it would be primarily for marketing.

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:05 AM, Clay Clayton said:

IMG_5300.png

Didn't pay the shipyard bill and have been repossessed.  Repainting in Carnival colors for the new owners.😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Astromaid said:

We are scheduled on the voyage from New York City on June 7th. Saturn's naming ceremony is on the 6th, can anyone attend or is it a closed ceremony? Would it be interesting to attend?

I wondered this as well, as we are on June 7th with you.  Perhaps worth asking someone at Viking.  Perhaps I'll see if my TA can find out.

The previous cruise (Reykjavik-NYC) has everyone getting off at 8 AM on June 6th, but we don't "board" until June 7th.  Did you have any other details on the naming ceremony?  I thought that might be the reason that Viking built in an odd extra day.

I remember hearing about the Neptune, which had their ceremony in Los Angeles last winter with the World Cruise passengers onboard (FLL-LA and LA-rest of world).  I thought I had seen reference that some people who stayed onboard were able to see it.

Edited by CCWineLover

This was also in the press release.

“We are also grateful that Ann Ziff has honored us by serving as godmother of the Viking Saturn. Having traveled with us for years, Ann is a loyal Viking guest, and she shares our commitment to the arts and cultural enrichment. Her contributions to the Metropolitan Opera, one of our longtime cultural partners, as well as many other important causes are truly impressive.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wynnsr said:

7:30 PM in Italy.  From multiple sources - Saturn underway but showing Dubrovnik as destination.  May be doing some exercises or VIP/Media stops.

Shows arrival Dubrovnik as 08:00 (Z+2) tomorrow morning.

Since they shifted berth in Ancona before departure, my best guess is they embarked a number of media/TA's aboard, after departing the fitting out berth. Might even have a couple more port stops before Civitavecchia.

• Like 4