Alaskan Cruise

TravelerPar

In Juneau, I’d say Mendenhall Glacier is probably the biggest must-see. If able, give yourself plenty of time to hike the trail out to Nugget Falls. It’s an easy hike. 

If you’re willing to spend the money, the helicopter tours that land on the glacier are amazing. 

Mt Roberts tram provides great views of the harbor. There’s not much up there though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robthens said:

the Deadliest Catch,

This tour is in Ketchikan, not Juneau.  

6 hours ago, TravelerPar said:

we should see first in Juneau, AK. All suggestions are welcomed.

Welcome to Cruise Critic TravelerPar!  I recommend a flightseeing tour.  I highly suggest the 5 Glaciers and Taku Lodge excursion.  You will see 5 glaciers and land (water landing) at Taku Lodge for a delicious Salmon Lunch/Dinner.  Time is available for a short walk on a trail through the surrounding forest.  A walk through the community is interesting for a first time visitor with lots of shops and sights to see.  Stopping somewhere for a lunch of Halibut and Chips is a good idea.  A visit to the Red Dog Saloon might be of interest.  If interested in the history of the area and of Alaska, the Alaska State Museum is a short walk from the piers.  The State Capitol offers free tours if you are interested in government.  Juneau offers much for their visitors!  

• Like 1

I did the Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Combo Tour with Juneau Whale Watch I’m May and it was excellent. They do the whale watch first, then drop you at the glacier. The return buses run every 1/2 hour, so you can spend as much or as little time at the glacier as you choose. Just make sure you catch a shuttle at least an hour before your all aboard time and know when the last shuttle leaves.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TravelerPar said:

Getting ready for our first Alaskan cruise. Looking for suggestions as to what we should see first in Juneau, AK. All suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Unless you are going all the way to Seward, you should book the whale watch -- Juneau has a resident pod and you are guaranteed to see humpback whales! Mendenhall is a good combo. I did the triple-combo with a meal at a lodge, and while it was a lovely setting, the food was just so-so. 

If you have additional time from not doing the lodge lunch, ride the tram. Red Dog's fish-n-chips were also not noteworthy.

• Like 1

We have been to Juneau 4 times. We have enjoyed whale watching, Mt. Roberts, the Alaskan Brewery tour. Our favorite was the very small group whale watching tour with Harv and Marv (a max of 6 guests plus the Captain). Mendenhall Glacier is also worthwhile.

• Like 1