What do you find hardest about cruising solo?

Hflors

I usually have a paperback book with me I'll lay out and maybe add reading glasses to if I get up to get something else in the buffet. 

Its finding a seat I find hard. All the couples, one often runs and looks for a table while the other fills a plate. I've often wished I had another person to run ahead and find a open table. I've mostly been doing rcl, with DP340 25% off it's usually the best priced for me. And the buffet can be jammed at boarding and on sea days. I've skipped their mexican place because it's so hard to find a table. Nothing terrible but I notice. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I usually have a paperback book with me I'll lay out and maybe add reading glasses to if I get up to get something else in the buffet. 

Its finding a seat I find hard. All the couples, one often runs and looks for a table while the other fills a plate. I've often wished I had another person to run ahead and find a open table. I've mostly been doing rcl, with DP340 25% off it's usually the best priced for me. And the buffet can be jammed at boarding and on sea days. I've skipped their mexican place because it's so hard to find a table. Nothing terrible but I notice. 

I bring a little fold up basket that I use to carry around a water bottle and my sewing things that I will leave on a table before I get my food. But often for breakfast I will just take it back to my room if the buffet is busy. That is the hardest thing, I would agree, about being a solo - tables in the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Notes from my solo cruising experience 😎

I recently went on my first solo cruise. I traveled on Norwegian Encore which had Solo Studios (all inside cabins) and a Solo Lounge. These facilities vary greatly within Norwegian and aren’t always available, so do your research!

—— I cannot say enough about the great experience I had! ——-

The lounge held a ‘ship-wide’ singles meeting every day at 5:30. By seeing these people a few times, I would then see them in dining areas.

Being willing to compliment someone, make a humorous aside or ask a question you might already know the answer to - are all great conversation starters. (Also, read the book ‘How to win friends and influence people’ for more conversation tactics.) 

On my first excursion, I struck up a convo with a group of 3 on the elevator and ended up hanging with them for an informal taxi tour of SD Dom Rep, lunch back on the ship and poolside time that day. Then, I continued to see them & wave, run into them and hang out, then even made reservations together. 

Dining is a challenge with crowded ships. But my tactic, since I often forgot my little ‘BRB’ card, was to wait to see which attendant was monitoring/clearing the tables. Then I personally shared that I would be right back. 

BTW, my biggest challenges are packing, packing early enough so I don’t pull an all nighter, and photos! I got home from this trip with so few good photos of myself! (Someone earlier mentioned this.) 

Tips for photos: 

1 - Offer often to take photos of others. They will often return the favor. 
2 - Ever heard of Steelie? It’s a brand of phone holder based on a magnet. So, with this magnet on your phone case, MANY ship walls become your timer photo friend! With my Apple phone and Apple Watch, I did a couple of ‘photo shoots’ on remote parts of the ship. No one was watching - except the security camera and I’m am pretty sure they were laughing at me! 

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a fantastic time cruising solo, compared to travelling solo normally people were in general way more talkative. For dinner, I had 4 different groups invite me to join them at various stages. Even when I had a booking for one, I generally end up talking to the people in close proximity

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Losing your table when you go get a refill in the buffet. Left hats, bags and much of the time come back to find them sitting on floor with other cruisers taking my table. 

For those saying eating alone, realize no one is looking at you while eating, drinking, sunning, etc. Just do your thing and enjoy your trip.

23 hours ago, Cruising started said:

Losing your table when you go get a refill in the buffet. Left hats, bags and much of the time come back to find them sitting on floor with other cruisers taking my table. 

WOW! Such rudeness and entitlement to just move someone else's stuff.

I have certainly left my table at the buffet for a minute or two to go get something or use the bathroom, and then come back to my plate and beverage being gone. The buffet workers sometimes are just way too overzealous about clearing tables. And this was at a time when the buffet wasn't busy and there were plenty of tables. I think the worker was just bored. 

and this was definitely going to be my answer to this thread. 

Edited by CoasterGuy

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 8:16 AM, Cruise Kay said:

The number one thing I find hardest about cruising solo is the before and after. I really really don’t like staying in hotel rooms by myself. I mean it’s not that big of a deal, I just really would rather not. I also don’t like getting into taxicabs by myself. Or Uber. So before the cruise I fly out the day before, get in a taxi to go to the hotel, and then spend the night in a hotel by myself. I hate that part. I don’t love taking a taxi from port to the airport on the last day either. 

but really that’s the biggest hurdle for me. There are time times on the cruise I feel a bit lonely but for the most part, 99% of the time, I just love being able to do what I want when I want without having to discuss it with anyone else. Want to skip lunch? No problem. Choose a different location for dinner? No problem. Skip a port, sleep late, get up in the middle of the night and watch a movie, see a show multiple times because I enjoy it so much, laying in a pool chair all afternoon, I can do all of those things without inconveniencing anyone else or having to compromise or ask someone else to accommodate me. I really enjoy cruising in all that it offers, and for me the few twinges of feeling lonely here and there are well worth the trade off of several days on a gorgeous ship. 

I will add that I generally skip eating in the main dining room and I certainly don’t do specialty dining by myself. I don’t like those things even when I’m with someone, and eating in a long drawn out way by myself is not enjoyable. I love doing the buffet and eating when I want as quickly or as leisurely as I’d like.

I know this sounds corny, but I wonder if it would be helpful for you to make a list of things that you might not enjoy as a solo cruiser and a list of things you are pretty sure you would enjoy very much. You might see that one outweighs the other.

I travel a lot on my own since my husband decided he doesnt like traveling any more. "too unpredictable"  ok. I've gotten used to staying alone in hotels/motels (I even camp alone)  I agree about the transportation issues. I never take a taxi.  Instead, I research public transportation and what I need to be able to take advantage of it. (less luggage) I actually enjoy riding in a train with the local people. I will walk if its feasible.  Lonliness from time to time is a small price to pay (for me) to avoid having to accommodate anyone else's needs or desires. ie I have a friend who I occasionally travel with. She doesnt do trains or anything that requires her to carry her luggage. I have even said on occasion "ok, you get to the xxxx  (whereever you are headed) they way you prefer and I'll meet you there.  Its a little harder if you want to get up in the middle of the night to watch a movie. I miss having someone to converse with in the MDR.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, irvington said:

I travel a lot for work by myself and basically enjoy it, but for me it is a bit of a respite from working where I need to be "on" for others all the time.

That said, I'm trying to psych myself up for a solo cruise, and I think I'm mostly worried about the dining. What do most of you do while you eat? I usually cruise lines that seat people with their own party, not strangers. Honestly, I'd rather not be foisted on someone but I don't want to eat in the buffet the whole time. On my business trips, I usually eat at more casual sit down restaurants where I don't feel wrid being on my phone or looking at a book or work papers. But that seems a bit gauche for the fancy restaurants on Celebrity and HAL (where I've usually cruised).

I don't have a problem having a drink or watching a show or live music by myself, but I feel really shy about the dining.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I'm looking at cruises in Europe and Asia that will be pretty port-intensive.

I would rather have my BFF or sister with me but unfortunately it's not possible. I do feel awkward eating alone. I feel like there's a spotlight on me. No point in saying " no one is looking at you" since I'm looking at everyone to some extent.  That's why I eat all my meals at the buffet. I can sit by myself, possibly speaking to someone nearby. I can choose anything I want, have seconds of what I like. The food is the exact same as being served in the dining room except that its  very often hotter! I find it hard to be sitting with nothing to do in the dining room, in the buffet I eat slowly, enjoy my meal, grab dessert and a coffee and head out to some lovely spot on the deck where I can watch the stars. So much nicer than being stuck in a noisy large dining room. Well, for me anyway. PS I'm a mostly vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy so there is so many more choices for me at the buffet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clonmelgal said:

I would rather have my BFF or sister with me but unfortunately it's not possible. I do feel awkward eating alone. I feel like there's a spotlight on me. No point in saying " no one is looking at you" since I'm looking at everyone to some extent.  That's why I eat all my meals at the buffet. I can sit by myself, possibly speaking to someone nearby. I can choose anything I want, have seconds of what I like. The food is the exact same as being served in the dining room except that its  very often hotter! I find it hard to be sitting with nothing to do in the dining room, in the buffet I eat slowly, enjoy my meal, grab dessert and a coffee and head out to some lovely spot on the deck where I can watch the stars. So much nicer than being stuck in a noisy large dining room. Well, for me anyway. PS I'm a mostly vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy so there is so many more choices for me at the buffet.

Since I posted that, I went on a Silversea cruise solo and it was perfect! Made friends, also spent time alone. But it never seemed awkward at all.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 7:32 PM, Clonmelgal said:

I just finished my first solo cruise, and this was me too. I had room service for breakfast every day. Nothing beats coffee and pastry on your balcony in your jammies. I had the pizza on the pool deck one day, a sandwich at the International Cafe a couple of times, and the rest of the time I ate at the buffet. I ate inside the first night as it was cold outside, but the rest of the time I took my plate outside. I was trying to be mindful, as much as possible, not to get Covid on the cruise and I succeeded.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 1:38 AM, PG_traveller said:

I just finished my first solo cruise, and this was me too. I had room service for breakfast every day. Nothing beats coffee and pastry on your balcony in your jammies. I had the pizza on the pool deck one day, a sandwich at the International Cafe a couple of times, and the rest of the time I ate at the buffet. I ate inside the first night as it was cold outside, but the rest of the time I took my plate outside. I was trying to be mindful, as much as possible, not to get Covid on the cruise and I succeeded.

JMHO:

Next time you cruise solo, I would urge you to eat in the main dining room. It's much better in my opinion.

Try asking for a sharing table or boldly state table for one, hold your head high and walk to your table. Read a book or engage in small talk with the adjoining tables. You'd be amazed how many solos, couples and families are desperate to talk to someone new 🤣

I honestly love walking into the restaurant on my own, being led to a sharing table - you get to meet some fascinating people.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 1:39 AM, RedgeToo said:

JMHO:

Next time you cruise solo, I would urge you to eat in the main dining room. It's much better in my opinion.

Try asking for a sharing table or boldly state table for one, hold your head high and walk to your table. Read a book or engage in small talk with the adjoining tables. You'd be amazed how many solos, couples and families are desperate to talk to someone new 🤣

I honestly love walking into the restaurant on my own, being led to a sharing table - you get to meet some fascinating people.

Don't get a cabin in the MSC Yacht Club. Sharing tables isn't allowed in the Yacht Club restaurants and switching to the regular dining rooms is a pain. The matre d's in the dining rooms do a back and forth he's yours to take care of not mine.

In the Yacht Club you can say Peter, Paul, Mary and i are Yacht club members met and want a table for us but you can't do the i'll share or join anyone.