Any tips for disembarkation day - linger or ditch the ship?

npsandiego

We port at Port of Los Angeles and our flight leaves at 4:30pm from LAX, about 30 minutes away.  We've never left for the airport on disembarkation day (always stayed a day or so after a cruise or left our car at the port).  Looking into the NCL airport transfer or taking a rideshare from the port to the airport.  Since we have so much time, should we try to get off the ship as late as possible?  Would we have access to breakfast that morning and where?  Can we linger?  Or do you suggest we get off as early as possible?  If we opt for the NCL airport transfer, is this a pleasant experience?  

Luckily, we have airport lounge access but would prefer to not be stressed out getting to the airport, getting there too early, or waiting in long bus lines...  as long as we get to the airport by 1:00pm.  Any strategic suggestions?

2 minutes ago, npsandiego said:

We port at Port of Los Angeles and our flight leaves at 4:30pm from LAX, about 30 minutes away.  We've never left for the airport on disembarkation day (always stayed a day or so after a cruise or left our car at the port).  Looking into the NCL airport transfer or taking a rideshare from the port to the airport.  Since we have so much time, should we try to get off the ship as late as possible?  Would we have access to breakfast that morning and where?  Can we linger?  Or do you suggest we get off as early as possible?  If we opt for the NCL airport transfer, is this a pleasant experience?  

Luckily, we have airport lounge access but would prefer to not be stressed out getting to the airport, getting there too early, or waiting in long bus lines...  as long as we get to the airport by 1:00pm.  Any strategic suggestions?

Some of us stay on the ship as late as possible (enjoying a nice breakfast and a morning pick-me-up) and then just take an Uber/Lyft to the airport when we are booted off of the ship.  Why would I be anxious for my vacation to end?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, npsandiego said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

They will call all ashore around 9:30-10:00. You need to be out of your room around 8:00. They start boarding the next cruise at 11:00. 

Breakfast is available in the MDR (Taste/Savor), Garden Cafe buffet, The Local, and Observation Lounge. 

Check the prices of the transfers compared to rideshare (you can punch in the port and airport on any day to see the cost). The later you leave the ship, the longer it will take to get to the airport. 

Edited by BirdTravels

24 minutes ago, npsandiego said:

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Has anyone taken the NCL airport transfer? Do they offer different departure times?

Yes, depending on your flight time.  Last time I cruised out of LAX, transfers for early flights disembarked between 8 and 9:10, late flights 9:20-9:40.

15 hours ago, npsandiego said:

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Has anyone taken the NCL airport transfer? Do they offer different departure times?

We've used their transfers several times.  Never out of LAX, though.  And yes, they have different departure times.  The earlier your flight, the earlier you leave the ship.

You can wait until you're on board to get the transfers if you want.  That way you can talk to the staff and ask them about what time you'd be disembarking based on your late flight.  If it's earlier than you want to leave the ship, you can make your own arrangements.

Be aware also that you can't check your luggage (if you have more than carry-on) until 4 hours before your flight.  Typically you won't be able to take it thru security either, if it is too large, so you are stuck with it (and there is no seating in the terminal prior to security).  Depending on cost, I would rent a car close to the port with drop off at LAX and go see some sights or, as someone else mentioned, see if there is an excursion the ends at LAX. It should get there just a little after noon and you could check your bags soon after. I did this in Seattle and it was great!

5 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

We've used their transfers several times.  Never out of LAX, though.  And yes, they have different departure times.  The earlier your flight, the earlier you leave the ship.

You can wait until you're on board to get the transfers if you want.  That way you can talk to the staff and ask them about what time you'd be disembarking based on your late flight.  If it's earlier than you want to leave the ship, you can make your own arrangements.

Just a fyi - if you wait to book onboard, transfers do sell out so make your arrangements early.  Also, in my experience, the late transfers often coincide with the last call to get off the ship, so no real choice with staying onboard longer.

13 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Be aware also that you can't check your luggage (if you have more than carry-on) until 4 hours before your flight. 

I've never seen this in a US domestic airport where the ticket counters were open.  This would be very surprising to me at LAX if it were true.  

Assuming you can check you luggage on arrival, I'd drag my feet in the morning, enjoy a leisurely breakfast, get off the ship when they kick you off sometime after 9, Uber/Lyft to LAX and spend the rest of your day in the lounge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I've never seen this in a US domestic airport where the ticket counters were open.  This would be very surprising to me at LAX if it were true.  

Assuming you can check you luggage on arrival, I'd drag my feet in the morning, enjoy a leisurely breakfast, get off the ship when they kick you off sometime after 9, Uber/Lyft to LAX and spend the rest of your day in the lounge.

We flew out of Tampa last month after staying the night at the airport Marriot.  We had a 3:15pm departure.  We wanted to check our bags after breakfast.  We went to the ticket counter to see if we could and were told we had to wait until four hours before our flight.

So I guess it depends on the airport, and quite possibly the airline, too.

27 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

We flew out of Tampa last month after staying the night at the airport Marriot.  We had a 3:15pm departure.  We wanted to check our bags after breakfast.  We went to the ticket counter to see if we could and were told we had to wait until four hours before our flight.

So I guess it depends on the airport, and quite possibly the airline, too.

Wow.  Out of curiosity, if you don't mind my asking, what airline?

I would just stay as long as you could the lines will all be down and you can relax  just make sure you are out of your room as soon as you can.  You  may want to take your luggage with you if they are not too large, who knows how  much luggage will be left.  I am not sure how good the security is at LAX, they probably do not  check luggage tags for verification.

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Off the top of my head, I have had this happen at JFK, Miami and LAX, both pre and post covid.  At JFK I ended up riding the airtrain over to the Left Luggage vendor and checking my bag with them, and spending my time in the lounge (going back about 3 hours before my flight to get my back and check it with the airline). This happened with Southwest and Delta, the 2 airlines I typically fly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, debenson0723 said:

Off the top of my head, I have had this happen at JFK, Miami and LAX, both pre and post covid.  At JFK I ended up riding the airtrain over to the Left Luggage vendor and checking my bag with them, and spending my time in the lounge (going back about 3 hours before my flight to get my back and check it with the airline). This happened with Southwest and Delta, the 2 airlines I typically fly.

thanks.  I guess I stand corrected.  I know I've done it in the past, just not sure how long it's been since I did it.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:46 PM, CptAleSpill said:

Some of us stay on the ship as late as possible (enjoying a nice breakfast and a morning pick-me-up) and then just take an Uber/Lyft to the airport when we are booted off of the ship.  Why would I be anxious for my vacation to end?

A morning pick-me-up? Hope you mean a cup of coffee, because you won't find any bars open on disembarkation morning.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:42 PM, npsandiego said:

Here are some options:  

https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/los-angeles-cruises