MDR Food Quality Question - Mardi Gras

tigers04champs

Hope everyone has been doing great!

We are booking a cruise on Mardi Gras for this winter and the wife is concerned about the quality of the food in the MDR. We've been on 7 cruises Pre-covid with carnival and always thought the food was great. Although they didn't really have many restaurants that had an additional cost (except 555 Steakhouse).

We did take on cruise on RC on Allure of the Seas and the MDR food was horrible. The additional restaurants were delicious though.

Any insights on the quality of the MDR, since they have so many additional options?

We haven't cruised since Covid hit, so we are looking forward to getting back out there!

Thanks as always for everyone's opinions and help!

- Joshua

• Like 1

Can’t answer for Mardi Gras but, have been on Sunshine, Vista and Valor since Christmas. Seems MDR has declined a little post-Covid. Smaller portions and less sides. I always order extra apps. Those with YTD on Mardi Gras have first choice for the “free” up charge venues on Mardi Gras. Dining on Mardi Gras is great with the  plethora of venues, can’t wait until our Celebration 8 day 12/19/2022.

• Like 1

I would use the term "fleetwide standards" for the MDR experience.  So it will not vary much by ship.  Find some menus and see.  Service and preparation is good and by the book.  The per person food budget is what it is, so you won't find fancy, huge steaks included.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tigers04champs said:

We are booking a cruise on Mardi Gras for this winter and the wife is concerned about the quality of the food in the MDR. We've been on 7 cruises Pre-covid with carnival and always thought the food was great. Although they didn't really have many restaurants that had an additional cost (except 555 Steakhouse).

We did take on cruise on RC on Allure of the Seas and the MDR food was horrible. The additional restaurants were delicious though.

Any insights on the quality of the MDR, since they have so many additional options?

We haven't cruised since Covid hit, so we are looking forward to getting back out there!

- Joshua

With all the additional “included” restaurants, we only had one dinner in the MDR.  Of the five post RE-start cruises we’ve been on, Mardi Gras was by far the best food experience. 

• Like 3

The menus have changed somewhat (they won't give you a whole baked potato anymore most nights for one thing), but the dishes that are the same are - near as I can tell - the same as before, at least in the MDR.

I notice the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail and the cut of prime rib might be a little smaller, but you can always order more than one if you want more.

• Like 1

Personally I am really glad that they have reduced portion sizes. I would much rather people order extras to fill up than have so much go to waste. On the Mardi Gras last October, still had too much on the plate and can't say that I had a bad meal anywhere, including the main dining room.

• Like 3

We have been on the MG for 14 days this year, and the only bad meal was in the MDR.  Only tried it that one time then gave up.  Our next MG cruise is in 20 days, and we plan to avoid the MDR.  Service was terrible and the noise was overwhelming.  Just not a pleasant dining experience.  

Contrast this to the Carnival Liberty, over the summer with plenty of kids onboard.  The MDR was great, and we would have eaten there all three nights but had prepaid for hubby's birthday dinner at the Steakhouse with our three grands.  

We were on the Mardi Gras last month and the MDR was much better than on our Horizon cruise in February. I heard the Horizon was understaffed but the Mardi Gras being brand new was fully staffed so maybe that was the difference. But the food was really good and they brought back a bunch of the classics in celebration of Carnival’s 50th anniversary. Like the baked Alaska dessert, the grand marnier soufflé, flat iron steaks, etc. I wish I could remember all the dishes but a ton of our old favorites were brought back and we loved it. 

• Like 1

On Mardi Gras right now....MDR is fine, def smaller smaller portions, but you can order as many entrees, apps, desserts as you want, so don't see that as a issue. 1st elegant night, a lobster tail is still offered, again no issues with the amount you can order.... service is still a tad slow but it works if you not in a huge hurry....food quality is decent and edible...is it the best? No....but it's decent enough for included no additional fee food..

• Like 1

I’ve not been unhappy with any of my 4 cruises post pandemic. They still give way too much food in the dining room. It’s a bit more rushed Of a service because they have your order your dessert while ordering everything Else now and frankly by the time i hit dessert there was not once i didnt just Take it back to my room i was so full. I do tend to order like 5 apps so that’s my problem 😛 

I’m Always first to get in the MDR so my food is usually cooler than I want it to be cause it’s been sitting but it’s not like it’s cold. 

overall good food

• Like 1

One thing I noticed was the meals that were supposed to be served hot, were normally hotter (which is a good thing) than we remembered from other cruises.  No complaints from anyone in our party.    

Edited by Rollin Tide

49 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

A baked potato is such a bizarre thing to cut back on.  What is cheaper than a baked potato?!

The interesting thing is they serve baked potatoes on Lido still. But in the MDR they've removed them and even on elegant night with prime rib, you get half a horribly dry and overcooked potato with a little cheez whiz smeared on top.

19 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Half of a baked potato.

Might not be about cheapness so much as waste. Perhaps not a lot of people eat their whole baked potato when on a cruise, possibly because it is so cheap and there are better options.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:12 PM, KmomChicago said:

Might not be about cheapness so much as waste. Perhaps not a lot of people eat their whole baked potato when on a cruise, possibly because it is so cheap and there are better options.

Yup, while I might enjoy a few bites of a baked potato, there are always so many other options that I would not want to fill up on one. I'm sure that if you ask the server that he could bring extra.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

Yup, while I might enjoy a few bites of a baked potato, there are always so many other options that I would not want to fill up on one. I'm sure that if you ask the server that he could bring extra.

Good point, for the rare must-have-more-baked-tato kid or whatever, I am sure they would love people to eat those instead of other more expensive sides.

• Like 1

We were on the Mardi Gras in January.   The meals in the MDR were very good.  Service was excellent.  Of course, they weren't the quality of the Steakhouse or Rudi's but every time I kept thinking I NEVER get this many options for a meal at home, and if we don't like something, we can ALWAYS get something else.   I have noticed that portion sizes have come down int he last 20 years, but that's OK, because even now, I am amazed by the amount of waste from passengers at the end of the meals.   So, I just order more of what I like - shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, oysters, and on formal night I order one beef entree and one lobster entree for surf and turf.   My wife mentioned she liked surf and turf at one of meals where they weren't offering it, so she ordered the beef for dinner.  Our waiter brought her a plate of sautéed shrimp to accompany the meal, even though we didn't even ask for it.   Our experience is that the Carnival employees always go the extra mile.  

• Like 5

On 8/27/2022 at 11:24 PM, tigers04champs said:

- Joshua

MDR is ok on the Mardi Gras, not great but it's ok. Do the Your Time Dining because La Cucina del Capitano, Guy's Pig and Anchor, and ChiBang! are all included. If you do YTD you have first opportunities to grab a time starting at 5:30pm. If you do fixed time dining, you have to wait until 7 or 7:30 to try to get a table and you could be waiting hours. 

I did a full review of most of the food on the Mardi Gras that might help. Having La Cucina as an option was especially awesome. Oh and Shaq's Big Chicken is AWESOME. Addictive but AWESOME! I hope this review is helpful for your planning, you'll have an awesome time on the ship!

• Like 4

On 8/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, tigers04champs said:

- Joshua

I have sailed with CCL and RCL post restart.

The food on CCL MDR is worst than the food in RCL MDR. Some food on CCL has tasted old or are very dry. Same goes for the buffet. So you may want to check other venues while on board. 

Happy cruising

• 6 months later...
On 9/10/2022 at 6:45 AM, CruisingWalter said:

MDR is ok on the Mardi Gras, not great but it's ok. Do the Your Time Dining because La Cucina del Capitano, Guy's Pig and Anchor, and ChiBang! are all included. If you do YTD you have first opportunities to grab a time starting at 5:30pm. If you do fixed time dining, you have to wait until 7 or 7:30 to try to get a table and you could be waiting hours. 

I did a full review of most of the food on the Mardi Gras that might help. Having La Cucina as an option was especially awesome. Oh and Shaq's Big Chicken is AWESOME. Addictive but AWESOME! I hope this review is helpful for your planning, you'll have an awesome time on the ship!

We are considering the Mardi Gras for an April 2024 sailing. We have 2 boys with autism that have some food aversion. They've been on 2 cruises precovid when room service still offered pb&j and plain grilled cheese so we could always find something for then to eat when nothing else would work. But now Carnival has changed the room service menu. Is there any place I can still get these items on the ship? Also, if we did an early dinner at one of the other places like Cucina or Chibang, can we still go to the MDR for a later dinner on the same night?