Takeover rumors: MSC is said to be interested in Virgin Voyages

morpheusofthesea

"The family business Aponte, which owns the giant MSC, is said to have a strong interest in the new shipping company. As reported by the Italian industry portal Schiffmag.i t Since Virgin Voyages has not yet had a great opportunity to make money, it could be possible that Branson will at least sell shares. Richard Branson has already announced a capital increase. ($500 million).

There is no shortage of money. MSC earns well from the huge container division alone and has made big profits in the last 2 years. MSC's cruise division is also recovering. MSC Cruises has also founded a new company. Explora Journeys is designed to cater to affluent guests. Of course, MSC ordered 4 ships for the new company." 

"MSC Virgin Voyages – MSC continues shopping spree! The rumors that Global Dream will also be taken over intensify. And while MSC continues to grow, direct competition Costa Crociere is shrinking... so stay tuned!"

Remember that Virgin Voyages is majority owned by Private Equity.  Given the headwinds hitting the cruise industry, they may be seeking a quick opportunity to get out, and MSC has cash to invest. I don’t see Virgin Voyages surviving in its current concept, but I could see the ships integrated into MSC with more US based ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I never considered them premium.

I would agree with you, maybe upper level mainstream, but definitely not a 5*. There's no way a cruiseline where the top cabin category below a suite that has a sheer curtain for a closet door can be considered a premium cruiseline. 

Edited by kwokpot

Their prices sure are premium. Their product give me a whole different impression, more on par with MSC probably. This wouldn't be the first Virgin-startup that is discontinued soon after launch. Is has happened with several airlines and other business as well. If MSC takes the ships, not the brand, it would give them an extra growth possibility, much faster than buying new tonnage. They would however need to invest big time to make the ships fit the MSC-concept. All in all an interesting development.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sealynx said:

Their product give me a whole different impression, more on par with MSC probably.

Really? I don't get one iota of a MSC cruise vibe being on the Scarlet Lady. There's nothing remotely similar about the Meraviglia and the Scarlet Lady, literally nothing is the same.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Really? I don't get one iota of a MSC cruise vibe being on the Scarlet Lady. There's nothing remotely similar about the Meraviglia and the Scarlet Lady, literally nothing is the same.  

Virgin ruined the Seaside platform with a ship that looks like a steam iron at the front and a coke can on a barge at the back ... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, sidari said:

Virgin ruined the Seaside platform with a ship that looks like a steam iron at the front and a coke can on a barge at the back ... 🤣

In the colour of a war ship, though with red details.

16 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm talking about all the 'just not as good as other cruise lines'-issues, both companies appear to be having.

7 hours ago, sealynx said:

I'm talking about all the 'just not as good as other cruise lines'-issues, both companies appear to be having.

I'm still trying to understand what you're implying. Are you referring to general corporate issues or the actual cruise experience that Virgin and MSC is similar? 

14 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Not sure if it is related to the MSC rumors or just coincidence, but Virgin Voyages announced a Status Match as part of their loyalty program, similar to MSC.

https://cruisefever.net/virgin-the-adults-only-cruise-line-adds-loyalty-status-matching/

Awesome. But it does appear you have to have a Virgin booking already in order to get status match. Or can you leave Booking Reference blank?

1 minute ago, publicpersona said:

Awesome. But it does appear you have to have a Virgin booking already in order to get status match. Or can you leave Booking Reference blank?

Not sure of all the specifics, but just thought it was interesting they were now offering a status match when MSC was the only mainstream line I am

aware of that was offering this previously. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Not sure of all the specifics, but just thought it was interesting they were now offering a status match when MSC was the only mainstream line I am

aware of that was offering this previously. 

Virgin is limiting it heavily, and it is primarily top tier (Gold and Black only for MSC) and for cruise lines only (Unlike MSC which is matching across the full spectrum of levels and loyalty programs). The perks bring the Virgin cost to more reasonable, and this is a pre-match before they unveil their final program but matching at the pre-launch bonus.                                                                                              

On 8/30/2022 at 6:06 PM, kwokpot said:

I'm still trying to understand what you're implying. Are you referring to general corporate issues or the actual cruise experience that Virgin and MSC is similar? 

The experience of both companies is very different indeed. What I mean to say is that both companies have a long list of misses, especially when compared to many other cruise lines. The misses are also different (I don't ever say MSC has a lack of proper pools, and I won't call their cabins IKEA-like either), but both just have many.

• Thanks 1