Vancouver Tugboat operations on strike

xlxo

https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/seaspans-tugboat-captains-strike-in-bc-ports-5746212

union posted a notice on its website Thursday announcing contract negotiations with Seaspan’s marine transport division had reached an impasse and a strike was beginning at noon that day.

Seaspan is one of four tug-assist providers and one of two bunker suppliers at the port, so these services may be affected.

despite our best efforts, and with the assistance of federal mediators, we have been unsuccessful in reaching an agreement with the Canadian Marine Services Guild

last contract with the union expired in 2019

Cruise ship stuck in Vancouver due to strike | CTV News

Edited by xlxo

It’s interesting that a Royal Caribbean in Holland America ship were both able to depart on Sunday, but the Celebrity ship was unable to. I wonder if they decided to make a statement just by preventing  one ship from leaving?

The issue was the bunker barge could not be removed, if the tugs were on strike. Without removing the barge, the ship couldn't sail.

In most conditions, cruise ships do not require tugs for departing Vancouver. If the other ships also had bunker barges alongside, they could have contracted with other towing companies.

4 hours ago, nini said:

Innocent question: Can any other qualified people move the tugs? I realize this is Canada, bt sometimes in USA, "management" personnel will fill in.

Provided the management hold Certificates of Competency that are valid for use, and they are still current on the tonnage, they could operate a vessel. However, prior to my retirement, I found fewer shore staff could actually operate a vessel, never mind taking command. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Provided the management hold Certificates of Competency that are valid for use, and they are still current on the tonnage, they could operate a vessel. However, prior to my retirement, I found fewer shore staff could actually operate a vessel, never mind taking command. 

Understandable. Thanks.