Flam Railway

You can order tickets in several places - you get the best prices here:

Norways Best

Vy.no

tickets can be ordered from 60 to 100 days before the journey.

For return book Flåm - Myrdal - Flåm. Some combine train with single Flåm to Myrdal and bike back to Flåm. No need to spend time in Myrdal.

make sure you know when your ship is arriving and if docked or tendering. Station is next to the dock.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2022 at 4:43 PM, hallasm said:

You can order tickets in several places - you get the best prices here:

Norways Best

Vy.no

tickets can be ordered from 60 to 100 days before the journey.

For return book Flåm - Myrdal - Flåm. Some combine train with single Flåm to Myrdal and bike back to Flåm. No need to spend time in Myrdal.

make sure you know when your ship is arriving and if docked or tendering. Station is next to the dock.

vy.no has always been easy for me…and this can usually be done for an earlier date than on other websites. 

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

vy.no has always been easy for me…and this can usually be done for an earlier date than on other websites. 

On vy.no, tickets can be purchased at the earliest 120 days before travel.  'Norway's Best' has tickets available earlier as mentioned in post #3. 

14 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

Is Flam Railway to Mydral and back to Flam about a 2.5 hour roundtrip (if i don't spend time in Mydral)

Yes, absolutely nothing to do in Myrdal. An alternative is a one way to Myrdal and bike back to Flåm.
The 2nd excursion to Stegastein is an excellent idea.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hallasm said:

Yes, absolutely nothing to do in Myrdal. An alternative is a one way to Myrdal and bike back to Flåm.
The 2nd excursion to Stegastein is an excellent idea.

Unless they have Trikes for the wife, she would toss me from the ship! 🙂 Biking totally crossed my mind!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 2:37 PM, alexgtp said:

Is Flam Railway to Mydral and back to Flam about a 2.5 hour roundtrip (if i don't spend time in Mydral)

Tying too see if I can book a 2nd excursion to Stegastein.

Can I ask who you would be booking through for both of these excursions?  Do you know if they both leave from near the cruiseport?  TY!

19 minutes ago, sunshine100 said:

Can I ask who you would be booking through for both of these excursions?  Do you know if they both leave from near the cruiseport? 

You can book the railway at Norways Best or at Vy.no (120 days in advance at Vy). Please note that train will be sold out.

If ship is docked it’s 5 minutes walk from the railway station - if tendering the tender will dock close to the railway station. 
I do not have details for the excursion to Stegastein - Try this link

Edited by hallasm

9 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Google lists the ship docking area as a 23 minute walk to the railroad station.

You have likely googled the Marina - Try to Google  ‘Flåm ferry terminal’
Cruise ships docks very close to the railway station - 4 minutes walk - see map. 
Only one ship can dock - if more ships in port other ships are tendering. Tender will also dock close to the railway station

056E7D61-6C46-4E7F-AF9E-42F4192AE702.jpeg

Edited by hallasm

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

You have likely googled the Marina - Try to Google  ‘Flåm ferry terminal’
Cruise ships docks very close to the railway station - 4 minutes walk - see map. 
Only one ship can dock - if more ships in port other ships are tendering. Tender will also dock close to the railway station

056E7D61-6C46-4E7F-AF9E-42F4192AE702.jpeg

You are correct re: Flam; I thought you were referring to Bergen.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, hallasm said:

An alternative is a one way to Myrdal and bike back to Flåm.

Are you able to book bikes along with the train ticket?  I checked out the Norway’s Best site but it wasn’t clear, just said “bike rental not included”. Doing research for a future cruise so not actually looking to book anything at this point.

18 hours ago, mackfam said:

Thanks hallasm, that’s just what I was looking for.

Yes, we booked a one way train and had reserved bikes at the Cafe as Hallasm suggested.   At the time we went, I saw no other bike rental options  besides the cafe.   Maybe it is different now.   

The biking down was fantastic.   However, note the first part after leaving the cafe is a little difficult.   Most people walked their bikes for about the first 30 minutes due to the large stone gravel path.  However, the path gets smoother as you go, and most of it is paved asphalt.   Endurance / stamina is not an issue as it is all downhill !     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

That's beautiful!

Do you know if the bike path is shared path with hikers?

I don't recall seeing many (maybe none) hikers on our trip down.   I would guess both bikers and hikers are allowed, but I don't know that for sure.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sea42 said:

That's beautiful!

Do you know if the bike path is shared path with hikers?

Yes. We hiked down and saw a number of bikers. The path is wide enough and the hikers give right of way to the bikers (at least they did the day we hiked).

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

Yes. We hiked down and saw a number of bikers. The path is wide enough and the hikers give right of way to the bikers (at least they did the day we hiked).

Great, thanks for the information!