Flam Railway

6 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

I am not confident that we'll get off the boat quickly enough to make the 10:45am train, as it only arrives in port at 10am.

If you ship dock you should be able to make 10:45.

I think Norways Bests is only selling return tickets. Be careful if you need to cancel a return ticket and purchase a single at short notice - might be sold out. OK if you can cancel just the return part at Vy. Solution might then be two single tickets.

53 minutes ago, hallasm said:

If you ship dock you should be able to make 10:45.

I think Norways Bests is only selling return tickets. Be careful if you need to cancel a return ticket and purchase a single at short notice - might be sold out. OK if you can cancel just the return part at Vy. Solution might then be two single tickets.

Thanks, we're sailing HAL Nieuw Statendam, lots of people to disembark - even if the station is right beside the port, I'd rather not have the stress of making that train on time.  

Yes I'm thinking of buying one set of tickets to Myrdal, and a second set for the return, as there's no price advantage to buying one set of return tickets - this will make cancellation of return straightforward.  As i do believe it's a smart idea to have return tix ready to use in case of poor weather and not having to ride back in the rain.  

• Thanks 2

Now have our tickets booked for noon departure - super happy about that!

My next question is how early do people queue up to get their seat on the train and any recommendations on how best to try and ensure you get on first to secure window seats.  I imagine people queue up along the track because people will enter via numerous doors vs single queue.

10 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Now have our tickets booked for noon departure - super happy about that!

My next question is how early do people queue up to get their seat on the train and any recommendations on how best to try and ensure you get on first to secure window seats.  I imagine people queue up along the track because people will enter via numerous doors vs single queue.

I think it was a single que, if i recall correctly.    However,  if it turns out to be nice weather and you plan to bike down,  i really wouldn't worry about a window seat on the train.    Your views from the bike path will be 10x better than a view from a train window.   

Note the people renting the bikes to us were super friendly but a little unorganized.   I would get right to the Cafe when you get off the train to secure a right sized bike for you.  We had a little issue with finding a bike for my wife,  who is very short,  but it was resolved ok.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

I imagine people queue up along the track because people will enter via numerous doors vs single queue.

A formal queue forms at about 30 minutes before the train departs.

Once the chain is removed people are ‘fighting’ for the best seats

Head right down to the furthest end of the train -  people generally enter the train as early as they can.  

Whilst there are views on both sides of the train, the best views are on the right side when departing Flåm. Except for the waterfall but here you can leave the train for few minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CCJack said:

I think it was a single que, if i recall correctly.    However,  if it turns out to be nice weather and you plan to bike down,  i really wouldn't worry about a window seat on the train.    Your views from the bike path will be 10x better than a view from a train window.   

Note the people renting the bikes to us were super friendly but a little unorganized.   I would get right to the Cafe when you get off the train to secure a right sized bike for you.  We had a little issue with finding a bike for my wife,  who is very short,  but it was resolved ok.  

Thanks @CCJack - did they have lots of bikes to choose from?  The website offers regular bikes vs full suspension bikes - what kind did you get?

52 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Thanks @CCJack - did they have lots of bikes to choose from?  The website offers regular bikes vs full suspension bikes - what kind did you get?

they had lots of bikes, but small bikes were in short supply.   We got regular bikes, and it was fine since we walked the first 1 km over the rough patch, and after that the path was smooth.   Suspension never hurts, however, if you want a smoother ride.

If you do get off the ship to make a 10:45 departure, I wonder if they would let you board the train if it is not sold out.   That would give you more time to enjoy the bike ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

If you do get off the ship to make a 10:45 departure, I wonder if they would let you board the train if it is not sold out.   That would give you more time to enjoy the bike ride.

Ooh smart suggestion - it doesn't hurt to try!  Thanks again for your insights @CCJack and @hallasm !

caught this on the FLAM web cam a few minutes ago. Similar to our experience when there is a BIG ship in or multiple ships (less common since COVID). People were queud about as soon as the train arrived and boarding was in general a free for all. Since we were actually 'traveling' via train - had luggage - it was a bit stressful.

flamcrowd.thumb.jpg.6f4a17290985e64d7287ae53bc89dbd1.jpg

notice the mob behind the train at the left. But theey don't sell more tickets then there are seats (no standees) so once the push was over it wasn't crowded

100_0389.thumb.JPG.d366dc9466588169a27c2581474ac5b1.JPG

On 5/29/2023 at 5:31 PM, queen_kathy1 said:

The website offers regular bikes vs full suspension bikes - what kind did you get?

I've done the route from Finse to Flåm, and while the full suspension was necessary from Finse to Myrdal, for the last section, it would be fine on a regular bike if you walk the first stretch (which I highly recommend anyway). The first part of the Myrdal-Flåm section is essentially straight down the mountain on gravel switchbacks. Even on his own mountain bike, my cycle-enthusiast friend felt it was pushing his comfort zone and walked part of it.

Once you're down, it's a gentle ride through the valley. The upper part of the valley has mostly-smooth gravel tracks, which give way to paved road for the rest of the trip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, little britain said:

When will the tickets for 2024 June go on sale please? 

You can book at Norways Best 6 months in advance - you will find the best prices for return journeys here.

An alternative is Vy.no - here you can also book single journeys. Booking possible 120 days in advance..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 5:33 PM, kaisatsu said:

I've done the route from Finse to Flåm, and while the full suspension was necessary from Finse to Myrdal, for the last section, it would be fine on a regular bike if you walk the first stretch (which I highly recommend anyway). The first part of the Myrdal-Flåm section is essentially straight down the mountain on gravel switchbacks. Even on his own mountain bike, my cycle-enthusiast friend felt it was pushing his comfort zone and walked part of it.   Once you're down, it's a gentle ride through the valley. The upper part of the valley has mostly-smooth gravel tracks, which give way to paved road for the rest of the trip.

Great sharing, postings and info from kaisatsu!!  Appreciate, as always, your activities and skills on these Cruise Critic boards.  

From Conde Nast Traveler in March, they had this headline: Most Beautiful Small Towns in Europe with these highlights: Flåm, Norway.  Population: 350.  Undoubtedly one of Europe’s most beautiful cruise ports, the tiny village of Flåm welcomes ships passing through western Norway’s vast Sognefjord. The town is scattered with boldly colored houses and surrounded by unblemished green hills, but it’s perhaps best known for housing Flamsbana—the world’s steepest railway. Hop on the train in Flåm, which will take you past waterfalls and snow-capped peaks to the summit of Myrdal Mountain.

Yes, the magazine profile brings back wonderful memories!!   Many other excellent small towns to visit all over Europe.  Need to pack and go?

From our adventure in and all over Norway linked below, you can see more and maybe gain added options, suggestions, tip and ideas.  Good luck with your research and planning.   Below are just a few of my visuals to prove and verify that this rail adventure is very enjoyable and worth it.  

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/25-most-beautiful-small-towns-in-europe

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,434 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Getting ready to dock in Flam.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.24ef7487678d7dc386d86e88f83db2dc.jpeg

Just a couple of samples for the dramatic views experienced when doing the Flam rail adventure.:

image.thumb.jpeg.aaf718423c0a2caa2bfceeba2d426107.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cb1aa9b4f82fe538b6743e2599701a9c.jpeg

Stopping at one of the massive waterfalls along the track side to see its power "up close and personal".:

image.thumb.jpeg.3fc606075f656da81681ff42b3a7fc7c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 11:42 AM, CCJack said:

A couple other thoughts...  once you leave the bike rental place and head downhill, you are pretty much committed to completing the trail.   I don't see biking uphill to return to the start as much of an option.  

I was thinking about your comment @CCJack and i thought to myself, what happens if you were to get a flat tire, or if you fell and got hurt?  I'll have my cellphone, but who would we call and how would they be able to find us/get to us on the bike path?  I'm sure we'll be fine but would want some advice on what to do just in case.  Would the bike rental company send someone after us?

Edited by queen_kathy1

1 hour ago, queen_kathy1 said:

I was thinking about your comment @CCJack and i thought to myself, what happens if you were to get a flat tire, or if you fell and got hurt?  I'll have my cellphone, but who would we call and how would they be able to find us/get to us on the bike path?  I'm sure we'll be fine but would want some advice on what to do just in case.  Would the bike rental company send someone after us?

That is a good question,  i would inquire at the rental place for a phone number.    A couple thoughts... the bike path does cross a couple of roadways, and passes by a couple farms, which would have to have road access to the farms.   Also,  you will see other bikers/ hikers on the bike trail.   It was not crowded but definately there will be others on the path who could help,  i would think....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

The route is well-traveled, and other cyclists are very helpful, so someone would be able to call emergency services if needed. The path is quite wide and well kept, so it should be no problem for rescue and medical services to access.

It may be worth keeping the phone number of the bike rental with you just in case, but it’s uncommon to have serious issues with the rental cycles. I did have a problem with the handlebars on mine, but it wouldn’t have been a concern if I was only doing the Myrdal-Flåm leg (it was just difficult on the rougher stretches up on the mountain plateau.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The RCI trip includes a drink and waffles 🧇 at the Vatnahalsen hotel.

If we buy the train trip independently ( cheaper) via Norways Best site; can you go to the hotel and buy your own waffles 🧇?!  @hallasm

Also:  looking at the Norways Best site it seems you pick the Up time and you stay on train and come back immediately- it won’t let you pick a different return time? So perhaps the waffle question is redundant?!  Thanks 

Edited by little britain

17 minutes ago, little britain said:

Aldo looking at the Norways Best site it seems you pick the Up time and you stay on train and come back immediately- it won’t let you pick a different return time? So perhaps the waffle question is redundant?!

Yes, on Norges Bedst you can only buy a return ticket with the same train back – you must either take the ship's trip including waffles or do without. You can get off the train at Vatnahalsen station though - that will give you 30 minutes in Vatnahalsen - I'm not sure if you can buy waffles at the hotel though - that might be a special treat for cruise guests.
There are many cafes in Flåm that serve waffles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Yes, on Norges Bedst you can only buy a return ticket with the same train back – you must either take the ship's trip including waffles or do without. You can get off the train at Vatnahalsen station though - that will give you 30 minutes in Vatnahalsen - I'm not sure if you can buy waffles at the hotel though - that might be a special treat for cruise guests.
There are many cafes in Flåm that serve waffles.

Do you think it is possible to do the train trip up/ down first ; get back into Flam before 11am then do the bus to Stegastein at noon and get back by 13:30 … then waffle 🧇 and beer time? 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Do you think it is possible to do the train trip up/ down first ; get back into Flam before 11am then do the bus to Stegastein at noon and get back by 13:30 … then waffle 🧇 and beer time? 

Yes, Depends on when your ship arrives - check if the ship docks or tender. If you can catch the 09 train, you will be back in Flåm at 11:05. The trip to Stegastein takes 30 minutes - so with a little planning there is enough time - whether you also have time for the waffles depends on when you set sail.
Remember to be on the upper decks early to enjoy the scenic sailing into Flåm. The actual sailing takes 5 hours - but be up before sunrise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1