Authorized Guides at Archaeological Tour Sites

donaldsc

We are going to be in Athens for several free pre- and post-cruise days.  We will be in Athens in late September and early October.  I want to be free to wander around Athens and I also want to be able to visit several archaeological sites.  However I don't want to book anything in advance because that ties me down.  I also know that I will get a lot more from visiting an archaeological site if I see it with a private guide.  Am I likely to be able to hire one on site or should I make arrangements in advance.

DON

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We are going to be in Athens for several free pre- and post-cruise days.  We will be in Athens in late September and early October.  I want to be free to wander around Athens and I also want to be able to visit several archaeological sites.  However I don't want to book anything in advance because that ties me down.  I also know that I will get a lot more from visiting an archaeological site if I see it with a private guide.  Am I likely to be able to hire one on site or should I make arrangements in advance.

DON

Maybe and maybe not.  But as one who generally does independent travel I would offer an alternative.  Just about every major archeological site and musuem offers audio tours/guides at the entrance.  It is a great alternative for those of us who prefer to move at our own pace and still have many of the advantages of a guide.

By the way, besides the Acropolis (a must see for a first-time visitor) we strongly recommend visiting the nearby Acropolis Museum.  One could debate which should be done first, but we think the important thing is to see that museum which will add to your understanding of the Acropolis.

Hank

What sites are you considering?

Often there are guides for hire at the Acropolis. They try to get a small group together. Several years ago the going rate was 100 euro for the tour -- if you get 10 people, that's 10 euro each. 

I have not seen guides just hanging out and looking for customers at other sites such as the Agora (Greek or Roman) and the Tower of the Winds, or the Archaeological Museum (to me, another "must visit").  

I am one that prefers a good guidebook so have rarely looked into a private guide.

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

By the way, besides the Acropolis (a must see for a first-time visitor) we strongly recommend visiting the nearby Acropolis Museum. ...

Although the Acropolis Museum is world class building, the exhibits left us feeling underwhelmed.  Most of the exhibits are simply pieces of rubble from the digs at Acropolis.  Unless you are an archeology wonk or want to see the Karyatids, I'd spend my time elsewhere.  Visit the National Archaeological Museum instead.

4 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Although the Acropolis Museum is world class building, the exhibits left us feeling underwhelmed.  Most of the exhibits are simply pieces of rubble from the digs at Acropolis.  Unless you are an archeology wonk or want to see the Karyatids, I'd spend my time elsewhere.  Visit the National Archaeological Museum instead.

Yeah, it is a real shocker that the Acropolis Museum is about the Acropolis.

Hank

• Haha 2

While I too am a DIY tourist, I have occasionally made arrangements for specific tours of specific locations, and I have always been glad I have.  Here's why: planning ahead allows me to find a tour type/group/guide that I believe will really add to my experience, rather than just finding whatever guides might happen to be around at the time.  They're just about the only thing I plan for in advance and tie myself to time-wise, and I don't do them often.  Usually for some unique interest (eg architecture) or a place that requires timed tickets that I have to book in advance anyway (eg Vatican Museum).

My preferred agency is Context, but they have very many fewer small group tours now than they did in the before times.  I've used them in several places in Italy and Japan, and I will try to arrange to use them for a small group tour (2-6 people) of the Acropolis as well. 

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

While I too am a DIY tourist, I have occasionally made arrangements for specific tours of specific locations, and I have always been glad I have.  Here's why: planning ahead allows me to find a tour type/group/guide that I believe will really add to my experience, rather than just finding whatever guides might happen to be around at the time.  They're just about the only thing I plan for in advance and tie myself to time-wise, and I don't do them often.  Usually for some unique interest (eg architecture) or a place that requires timed tickets that I have to book in advance anyway (eg Vatican Museum).

My preferred agency is Context, but they have very many fewer small group tours now than they did in the before times.  I've used them in several places in Italy and Japan, and I will try to arrange to use them for a small group tour (2-6 people) of the Acropolis as well. 

When are you going to be in Athens.  I have an Acropolis tour booked on 15 October already booked and I can add 2 people.  I am also going to book a wine tasting tour on 8 October.

DON

On 9/2/2022 at 8:14 PM, Hlitner said:

Yeah, it is a real shocker that the Acropolis Museum is about the Acropolis.

My point is that most people will not find it as interesting as other museums.  Just because the museum is close to the Acropolis doesn't mean that it is worth it.

29 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

My point is that most people will not find it as interesting as other museums.  Just because the museum is close to the Acropolis doesn't mean that it is worth it.

We thought the museum  well done.  It is intended to complement visits to the nearby Acropolis which means just about everything in this specialty museum is only related to the Acropolis.  

Hank