Recommendations for Vancouver hotel 5 nights pre cruise may 1-6 2023

Cbtours

Honestly, depends what YOU want out of a hotel! Personally I demand a comfy bed, AC, and a location that's convenient for the transportation method(s) I'm using in the place - everything else is gravy. In general, our rule of thumb is that if there's a Hampton Inn, that'll do nicely - we've done a lot of travel for conferency things, fancy weddings, embassy dos and whatnot so I've spent plenty of nights in very swanky digs too and my opinion now is the same as it was 40 years ago... if someone else is paying, fine, but otherwise a hotel room with a view ain't worth diddly extra to me as I'm going to be out sightseeing and dining all day so why spend the extra for stuff I'm not using?

Before we lived here, we visited and stayed a week in the YWCA Hotel, which was not just the cheapest in the region but is consistently well-reviewed now as well as waaaaaaay back then, in a great location, has in-house massive kitchens, laundry rooms etc. for guests that are ideal for extended stays, and this Y has regular private en suite bathroom double rooms, shared-with-just-next-door Jack & Jill bathrooms doubles, and 5 single bed family rooms - no dorms.

A view is great - but how much time will you actually spend enjoying it? Vancouver, like all the ports you'll visit on an AK cruise, is certainly a very pretty location but if you're not out of your room Doing Stuff... you're doing it wrong;-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martincath said:

Honestly, depends what YOU want out of a hotel! Personally I demand a comfy bed, AC, and a location that's convenient for the transportation method(s) I'm using in the place - everything else is gravy. In general, our rule of thumb is that if there's a Hampton Inn, that'll do nicely - we've done a lot of travel for conferency things, fancy weddings, embassy dos and whatnot so I've spent plenty of nights in very swanky digs too and my opinion now is the same as it was 40 years ago... if someone else is paying, fine, but otherwise a hotel room with a view ain't worth diddly extra to me as I'm going to be out sightseeing and dining all day so why spend the extra for stuff I'm not using?

Before we lived here, we visited and stayed a week in the YWCA Hotel, which was not just the cheapest in the region but is consistently well-reviewed now as well as waaaaaaay back then, in a great location, has in-house massive kitchens, laundry rooms etc. for guests that are ideal for extended stays, and this Y has regular private en suite bathroom double rooms, shared-with-just-next-door Jack & Jill bathrooms doubles, and 5 single bed family rooms - no dorms.

A view is great - but how much time will you actually spend enjoying it? Vancouver, like all the ports you'll visit on an AK cruise, is certainly a very pretty location but if you're not out of your room Doing Stuff... you're doing it wrong;-)

Thanks for great points and info. Well worth putting into the mix, cos definitely want to do as much as possible in our time there. 

We got an AAA rate for the Auberge Vancouver which is basically the Vancouver City Club rooms.  2 blocks from the port, “fancy” enough, but not a normal “fancy” full service hotel (though it does have a pool and fitness center through the club, and an “affiliated” restaurant in some way?)  for a reasonable price.  It was between that and the Blue horizon hotel, highly rated/reviewed (and in a great location on Robson!) but we wanted to treat ourselves for a change from the small ship cabin.  

I might want want to do a bit of research on what area of town I would want to be in for walkability and go for that.  The port area is a bit more business oriented and we walked up towards Robson for dinners.  Yaletown seemed of interest to me, but we never got there.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

We got an AAA rate for the Auberge Vancouver which is basically the Vancouver City Club rooms

I can second the Auberge.  Stayed there summer 2022 and it was nice enough that I booked it again for summer 2023.  A 5-minute walk to Canada Place and a 5-minute walk from the Canada Line.  But I would never stay 5-nights in Vancouver.  If you have to be there that long, split it up - consider Whistler, Victoria, San Juan Islands, even Seattle.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kathscof said:

We got an AAA rate for the Auberge Vancouver which is basically the Vancouver City Club rooms.  2 blocks from the port, “fancy” enough, but not a normal “fancy” full service hotel (though it does have a pool and fitness center through the club, and an “affiliated” restaurant in some way?)  for a reasonable price.  It was between that and the Blue horizon hotel, highly rated/reviewed (and in a great location on Robson!) but we wanted to treat ourselves for a change from the small ship cabin.  

I might want want to do a bit of research on what area of town I would want to be in for walkability and go for that.  The port area is a bit more business oriented and we walked up towards Robson for dinners.  Yaletown seemed of interest to me, but we never got there.  

I have checked it out and looks great except it'😔s sold out for our dates

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Thanks for the input

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cbtours said:

I have checked it out and looks great except it'😔s sold out for our dates

Oh sad! I would keep an eye out and constantly check....seems crazy it’s sold out this far in advance, unless there is some massive city wide activity we don’t know about?

• Like 1

I’ll second the YWCA. We stayed 1 night post cruise last month and the USD conversion was $150 for the night in double bed private bath room. This was based on martincath and others recommendations going back to 2019. 

Nice room, not plush but perfectly fine. A/C worked extremely well (it was over 90 degrees out) and friendly staff. Very walkable to Canada Place, downtown and Gastown - the areas that we ventured. 

ivwas out front desk and another guest was asking for place settings and pots which they provided. 

highly recommend 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Keep looking.  In 2019 we had a tough time finding a room for night of July 1st. It's Canada day and hotels were fully booked or charging top prices.  Look at airbnb.  Keep trying.  I was able to book a room at a chain hotel using points.

Thanks. I’m keeping my eye on them all. I’ve also been busy looking at what we want to see, which will give a clearer picture of where we want I think. 

8 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Thanks. I’m keeping my eye on them all. I’ve also been busy looking at what we want to see, which will give a clearer picture of where we want I think. 

In addition to the question of what to see, there is how to get around.    Many tourist oriented venues are downtown and in walking distance to many of the downtown hotels.   

Vancouver is also well connected by public transit through the skytrain metro system.  Being near a skytrain station may be helpful if some of the destinations are out a bit. 

Driving in Vancouver is also an option, however it is slow going in the downtown area.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, em-sk said:

In addition to the question of what to see, there is how to get around.    Many tourist oriented venues are downtown and in walking distance to many of the downtown hotels.   

Vancouver is also well connected by public transit through the skytrain metro system.  Being near a skytrain station may be helpful if some of the destinations are out a bit. 

Driving in Vancouver is also an option, however it is slow going in the downtown area.

Def not planning on driving😩😩😩

move been trying to find out how public transport works. I see it looks like skytrain is close to port for cruises? I have Stanley park, grouse mountain, Seawall as starters. I’d like to do a tour to Victoria especially to see butchart gardens. But lots to see so a day trip.

the aqua bus? Seems good too.

5 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Def not planning on driving😩😩😩

move been trying to find out how public transport works. I see it looks like skytrain is close to port for cruises? I have Stanley park, grouse mountain, Seawall as starters. I’d like to do a tour to Victoria especially to see butchart gardens. But lots to see so a day trip.

the aqua bus? Seems good too.

Translink (Bus, seabus and skytrain) use an integrated fare system with free transfers between them.  These is an extra surcharge of a few dollars when leaving the airport on Skytrain.  Aquabus is not part of the transit system, but its cost are modest.  During business hours on weekdays the system is divided into three fare zones at all other times it is one zone.  Skytrain service is very frequent.

Canada Place houses the cruise ship terminal in the lower level. Convention center in the upper level.  It is close to Waterfront Station.  

Victoria is a different city that is accessed by taking a car ferry.  On the Vancouver side BC Ferries docks at Tsawwassen terminal. It about an hour to reach by public transit (skytrain/bus), about 90 minute cross.  Then BC Transit on the Victoria side.   BC Transit, BC Ferries and Translink are separate systems. However they are times to work correctly.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, em-sk said:

Translink (Bus, seabus and skytrain) use an integrated fare system with free transfers between them.  These is an extra surcharge of a few dollars when leaving the airport on Skytrain.  Aquabus is not part of the transit system, but its cost are modest.  During business hours on weekdays the system is divided into three fare zones at all other times it is one zone.  Skytrain service is very frequent.

Canada Place houses the cruise ship terminal in the lower level. Convention center in the upper level.  It is close to Waterfront Station.  

Victoria is a different city that is accessed by taking a car ferry.  On the Vancouver side BC Ferries docks at Tsawwassen terminal. It about an hour to reach by public transit (skytrain/bus), about 90 minute cross.  Then BC Transit on the Victoria side.   BC Transit, BC Ferries and Translink are separate systems. However they are times to work correctly.

Thanks so much for this overview. Very helpful. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cbtours

we are also looking for a hotel for 5 nights post cruise from May 20 next year. As we’ve been to Vancouver and Victoria BC before but many years ago we have a little knowledge of what we want to revisit. We stayed in the Fairmont in 2007 but as lovely as it is this time around it’s a bit expensive. We have looked at so many as well as reviews and so far have narrowed it down to maybe two. We love the reviews and the look of Hotel Blu and also of Delta by Marriott although not sure about staying near Gastown. I will now have a look  at Auberge Hotel and  as well as Blue Horizon.

1 minute ago, sydneylou said:

Hi Cbtours

we are also looking for a hotel for 5 nights post cruise from May 20 next year. As we’ve been to Vancouver and Victoria BC before but many years ago we have a little knowledge of what we want to revisit. We stayed in the Fairmont in 2007 but as lovely as it is this time around it’s a bit expensive. We have looked at so many as well as reviews and so far have narrowed it down to maybe two. We love the reviews and the look of Hotel Blu and also of Delta by Marriott although not sure about staying near Gastown. I will now have a look  at Auberge Hotel and  as well as Blue Horizon.

Auberge wasn’t available for our dates 1-6 may pre cruise, but I’m seriously looking at pinnacle harbour front 

On 9/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, dog said:

I’ve stayed at all of the Fairmont properties in Vancouver and can recommend all of them.

I have stayed at a few of them also. Pacific Rim seemed to be elevated above the others IMO. Though they are all good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Yes it was. It was so much nicer than any other property I had been in in Vancouver.

Rates this year were really expensive, but you are right about PR being much nicer.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Annavyney said:

I pay attention to the hotel luxury only if the majority of my stay in the city falls on the hotel. There are trips when I'm called to a conference in terrible weather, and I can't afford long walks in the bitter cold. Also, a big question concerns the quality of service. Do you want breakfast delivered to your room or wet cleaning every three hours? If you are hoping for a vacation outside the hotel, you won't notice the additional amenities. I don't know much about Vancouver hotels, but I can offer a nice bonus. There are sometimes discounts on accommodation or car rental hoopladoopla.com. I hope you find something useful for yourself.

Thanks I will look into

it asap 🥰