Has anyone embarked recently in Canada?

Redtravel

This week I have received a plethora of emails from my travel agent, Windstar and American Airlines.  They refer to VeriFLY and ArriveCanada explaining all the entry requirements for Canada. It’s confusing. My spouse and I have read it differently.  We are flying in and staying in a hotel one night before embarking on a cruise.  I think we have to submit 2 Arrive Canada forms. Spouse says one and done.  Also, stressing about the entry random testing.  Has anyone had this experience?  Please respond if you have experience flying into Canada.  

• Like 1

The testing isn't random for boarding a cruise ship, you MUST present a negative COVID test result in order to board. This isn't the cruise lines request, it is Canada's requirement. The test must be done within two day of boarding.  It's all on the Windstar website.

16 hours ago, debbie311 said:

The testing isn't random for boarding a cruise ship, you MUST present a negative COVID test result in order to board. This isn't the cruise lines request, it is Canada's requirement. The test must be done within two day of boarding.  It's all on the Windstar website.

Within three days for a PCR test.

7 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Within three days for a PCR test.

Re PCR test, the problem is it takes longer to get the results from a PCR test, by the time the results get back for us we would already be on the plane. The timing is tricky.

7 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Re PCR test, the problem is it takes longer to get the results from a PCR test, by the time the results get back for us we would already be on the plane. The timing is tricky.

Just clarifying your statement that "the test must be done within two days of boarding" so that readers aren't misled.  It's two days for an antigen test, three for a PCR.

Update.  Our actual experience was better than anticipated.  When we checked in to fly, our documents were checked by the airline agent….passports, ArrivCan receipt, vax cards, etc.  when we landed in Canada, we visited the immigration kiosk.  Scan in passports, took photo, got entry receipt.  Customs took the receipt. Got luggage and left.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a Canadian, I actually love the Arrivecan app

Once you spend the 10-15 min doing the original upload, it's then a 45-60 second process moving forward, and I found going back n forth in and out of Canada, that they are processing you faster than ever b4, a ton less paperwork, and no need to find that elusive pen 🙂 

I am secretly hoping its stays in place long after COVID, I find it quite efficient, a rare effective Government program, lol  

That's because my wife and I travel to Buffalo on a regular basis for Bills games and concerts, and we travel a ton, however empathy for those only coming to Canada once, if it seems burdensome and a bit overwhelming, I'd love to see some  international countries dump the crazy advance passport visa's requirements and have an app like this instead 

jc 

While we didn't sail with Windstar,  we did deal with flying from the US to Toronto, staying a night in a hotel, and getting on our ship the next day. We did the AriiveCan upload and completed the questions to enter Canada. We Also did the Canadian declaration form for both of us. Went thru the kiosks at immigration and then customs (nothing to declare), then onto the hotel. At the hotel the cruise line did a rapid antigen test on everyone as part of our registration. Those who hadn't done their 2nd ArriveCAn application for the cruise did it with the help of one of the staff as part of registration. The problem occurred when my husband got notified he had been selected at the airport for a PCR Covid test that needed to be done in 24 hours. This is completely separate from what is required as part of your cruise.  The cruise staff (I think they were contract workers) were absolutely no help, but the people doing the covid testing were very helpful. They even marked up the local map to show him where he had to walk to, which wasn't more than 10 minutes from the hotel and was thankfully open on a Sunday. Got the test done and away we went on the ship the same day. We didn't get the results for 3 days, which was kind of pointless. Were they going to send the Coast Guard to remove him off the ship if the PCR test, which is more sensitive, had tested positive when the antigen didn't?

So Redtravel you are right - 2 ArriveCan filings - one for your fight to Canada and one to get on the ship. 

40 minutes ago, bebtwice said:

Got the test done and away we went on the ship the same day. We didn't get the results for 3 days, which was kind of pointless. Were they going to send the Coast Guard to remove him off the ship if the PCR test, which is more sensitive, had tested positive when the antigen didn't?

This was like the rules in England last fall:  we flew in on day 1 and were flying out on day 3 – but we had to do a 'Day 2' test and mail it in.  They hadn't even received it when we left.  But ... 'if you give a moose bureaucrat a muffin power...'

Before getting on the ship, our test results were looked at the pier. When we went to embarkation, in the Compass Rose, there were Canadian officers checking our vaccinations cars and test results.  Took temperatures.  Next we went to the Lounge.  Windstar also checked vaccinations and test results again.  Passports were surrendered.  Returned in Seattle where we had to go through US customs and immigration.   Answered health form too.  Got key card.  Went to veranda to get lunch and make reservations for specialty restaurants.  Not that quick.  

On 9/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, bebtwice said:

While we didn't sail with Windstar,  we did deal with flying from the US to Toronto, staying a night in a hotel, and getting on our ship the next day. We did the AriiveCan upload and completed the questions to enter Canada. We Also did the Canadian declaration form for both of us. Went thru the kiosks at immigration and then customs (nothing to declare), then onto the hotel. At the hotel the cruise line did a rapid antigen test on everyone as part of our registration. Those who hadn't done their 2nd ArriveCAn application for the cruise did it with the help of one of the staff as part of registration. The problem occurred when my husband got notified he had been selected at the airport for a PCR Covid test that needed to be done in 24 hours. This is completely separate from what is required as part of your cruise.  The cruise staff (I think they were contract workers) were absolutely no help, but the people doing the covid testing were very helpful. They even marked up the local map to show him where he had to walk to, which wasn't more than 10 minutes from the hotel and was thankfully open on a Sunday. Got the test done and away we went on the ship the same day. We didn't get the results for 3 days, which was kind of pointless. Were they going to send the Coast Guard to remove him off the ship if the PCR test, which is more sensitive, had tested positive when the antigen didn't?

So Redtravel you are right - 2 ArriveCan filings - one for your fight to Canada and one to get on the ship. 

It was only one ArrivCanada form that we had to file.  Many people on our cruise also thought that we had to do one form to enter Canada at the airport when staying in a hotel overnight, and  a second form to board a ship in Vancouver.  When we arrived at YVR we asked the Canadian immigration officer if we needed to do a second Arriv Canada.  He looked at us puzzled and said that the form is to Enter Canada, not leave Canada.  Once you are accepted into Canada, you are done. Next we had to wait 15 minutes to see if we had been randomly selected for testing.  Luckily we didn’t get selected.   The info sent to us by WS was confusing.  Also, confusing when checking the info on the Canadian government website.  One form which was scanned at the airport.  Once we embarked, we were never asked to do it again even when we stopped in Victoria.  

On 9/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, bebtwice said:

We actually had to complete only one ArrivCan form.  After arriving in Canada, we asked the immigration officier about doing the 2nd form. He said that once you are IN CANADA, you are in.  Never did a 2nd form.