Prepaid gratuities for drinks package

planaholic

From what I understand, when you buy the drinks package gratuities are included.

however, I’ve just read on one of the info pages on the app that 18% gratuity is automatically added to your drinks bill.

So how does this work if you’re on the drinks package?  

The 18% gratuity is going to be added when you go to purchase the package. There is no charge when you order a drink onboard if you have the package. 

I should add that it is that way in the US. I don't know how it works with UK packages. Once we purchase it here, the gratuity is covered, unless you tip additional. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coralc said:

The 18% gratuity is going to be added when you go to purchase the package. There is no charge when you order a drink onboard if you have the package. 

Depends your booking location! Here in Australia the package includes the 18% as our consumer laws require it to do so, they are also priced in Australian dollars.

If you dont buy the package and pay as you go then irrespective of the sailings location the 18% is added as the onboard currency is $US, i believe the UK is the same, Grats are incuded in the package price.

Edit...Ah, i misread i see your basically saying what i have written........You buy the package it includes the grats, so no further charges when on board, but if you dont buy the package you will be charged that 18% on all drinks you buy.

Edited by Hammer61

1 minute ago, Hammer61 said:

Depends your booking location! Here in Australia the package includes the 18% as our consumer laws require it to do so, they are also priced in Australian dollars.

If you dont buy the package and pay as you go then irrespective of the sailings location the 18% is added as the onboard currency is $US, i believe the UK is the same, Grats are incuded in the package price.

I* noticed he was from the UK and edited my post. Thanks! I shouldn't have replied, because I don't actually know how it works in other countries. 😊

8 hours ago, planaholic said:

however, I’ve just read on one of the info pages on the app that 18% gratuity is automatically added to your drinks bill.

This is true. If your drink is under $14, the bill is 0.

If it's $16 they will give you a bill for $2, plus 18% on the $2

47 minutes ago, little britain said:

Sorry incorrect! If the drink is $16 you get a bill for $2.

Tip is included in the price you pay in England. 

Figures! If anyone would be able to get out of paying a tip........

3 hours ago, Hutcha said:

This is true. If your drink is under $14, the bill is 0.

If it's $16 they will give you a bill for $2, plus 18% on the $2

The DBP covers drinks up to $13, so a $16 drink will cost $3, and an 18% gratuity will be added making it $3.54.

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

The DBP covers drinks up to $14 in England.  A $16 drink will cost you $2. 

How does that work if you buy the packages in the UK and sail in the Caribbean?  How do the servers know where you bought the package and what price is included?

45 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

How does that work if you buy the packages in the UK and sail in the Caribbean?  How do the servers know where you bought the package and what price is included?

It’s only in England and Australia ( I think ) where the price legally has to show the total; so if you buy a drinks package in England for  a Caribbean cruise then you are subject to the lower $13 limit and the additional sum +18% if you go over.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, little britain said:

It’s only in England and Australia ( I think ) where the price legally has to show the total; so if you buy a drinks package in England for  a Caribbean cruise then you are subject to the lower $13 limit and the additional sum +18% if you go over.

So, the answers given (overage + 18%) are correct for 90-95% of the cruises then. Seeing as the op didn't state where they were cruising from, the given advice stands.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:26 AM, planaholic said:

From what I understand, when you buy the drinks package gratuities are included.

So how does this work if you’re on the drinks package?  

very simple answer.  If you have a drink package, you already paid the tips.  It either was included or it was added at the end depending on what country you bought it.  On the ship, you will never need to add anything extra if you have the package.  If they give you a receipt, for an extra tip, put a giant X across it, and never sign it.  It is not required to have a signature.