Starting Sept. 6, 2022 - Simplified Cruising

Roz

On 9/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, Roz said:

Does anyone besides me have trouble keeping up with the ever changing Covid requirements of various cruise lines and countries?  Not to mention monitoring changing flights schedules.  

I feel the same way... As it stands I have 3 cruises booked, I will wait till I am a few weeks out from each to figure out that cruises specific requirements. 

Who knows what will happen if they see a spike after 9/6.

I have already had multiple flight schedule changes for upcoming trips.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Perhaps both:  HAL's rule because Canada requires testing?

You will require a Covid 19 test per Canadian regs.  A proctored test is accepted.  Upon receipt of test results they are to be uploaded into the  VeriFLY app along with your vaccination record. You are required to do another ArriveCan prior to boarding the ship.  This is in addition to the one used upon entry into Canada.  It may appear to be daunting but both apps are very user friendly. PS if you are on the Nieuw Amsterdam you are now able to upload your vaccination record now.  
Good luck

22 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Maybe you misunderstood me. NS nor any other ship presently doing Canada/NE cruises is on the PDF list that I could find. That was my point. NO Canada/NE cruise is listed. Previous protocols under which those cruises are presently sailing and will be sailing did not and have never required boosters nor does entry into Canada or sailing from a cruise ship in Canada. 

Thank you @fatcat04  I did misunderstand what you were saying.  I am hoping you are correct about that.  They couldn't possibly make this more confusing if they tried.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

You will require a Covid 19 test per Canadian regs.  A proctored test is accepted.  Upon receipt of test results they are to be uploaded into the  VeriFLY app along with your vaccination record. You are required to do another ArriveCan prior to boarding the ship.  This is in addition to the one used upon entry into Canada.  It may appear to be daunting but both apps are very user friendly. PS if you are on the Nieuw Amsterdam you are now able to upload your vaccination record now.  
Good luck

You've got to be kidding me!  Why??? Wouldn't the Canadian gov't. have the record of me entering Canada the day before?  What's going to change?  My flight gets in at 11:45 pm and I'll be boarding the ship about 12 hrs. later.

The first Arrive Can attestation is the arrival into Canada.    Government regulations also stipulate another ArriveCan attestation for all cruise ship embarkations.  Hint, entry by Marine, Vancouver Cruise Ship Operations.  Enter date of your cruise.  Note if you are not returning to Canada, use same date for date of arrival.  The reference number provided is then added to the Verifly app for Holland.

I wonder if there's statistical evidence that all this administrative hoopla is keeping me from contracting Covid or spreading it?  In other words, is the time, money, and effort spent producing the desired results?  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺Good morning Tradestock,

Thank you !! Is it possible that this is for entry with flying? Spoke to HAL Friday as well as with my PCC they said as of now we still need to take the Covid test since we are going through the Panama Canal.Said this can change in future!! 
Every day is something different. Will go with the flow! Have a great day.

🌺Denise 😊

Anything is possible, but I could not find a reference to travel specific Panama entry/exit regulations that are different from the link posted.  IMHO if there are Panama marine specific regulations, I would think HAL itineraries with partial transits of the canal would be subject to the same regulations as full transits.  Hopefully things will change for the better.🙂

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tradestock said:

Anything is possible, but I could not find a reference to travel specific Panama entry/exit regulations that are different from the link posted.  IMHO if there are Panama marine specific regulations, I would think HAL itineraries with partial transits of the canal would be subject to the same regulations as full transits.  Hopefully things will change for the better.🙂

I was thinking the same thing - if its a Panama requirement, why are not the partial Canal cruises not included - makes no sense to me!

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 5:20 AM, Roz said:

I arrive in Vancouver on Oct. 1 and sail on Oct. 2.  Is the testing requirement a HAL rule or Canadian Gov't. rule?  Do I time the test based on arrival in Canada or ship embarkation?  Do I need test results to fill out the ArriveCAN application?

Just came back from Canada, so I have first hand experience with this.

It is a Canadian rule.  No, you do not need the test results to complete the ArriveCan. 

You will need to do (2) ArriveCan submissions.  One prior to 10/1 to get into Canada.  This can be done up to 72 hours before arriving.  Then another on 10/1 (or 10/2) to get on the ship.   The first one will be for arriving by plane or car.  The second will be for getting on the ship.  You cannot do the second one until you get to Canada.  You can only have one active at a time.

Confused yet?  <g>

It really isn't all that bad.  Just enter your info into ArriveCan now.  Then it is easy to do the dual submissions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I just checked out the the Enhanced Protocols on HAL's website, and my cruise has been added to the list, clearing up some of the confusion for me. I think other cruises have been added besides my Oct. 2 sailing from Vancouver on the Noordam. 

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I just checked out the the Enhanced Protocols on HAL's website, and my cruise has been added to the list, clearing up some of the confusion for me. I think other cruises have been added besides my Oct. 2 sailing from Vancouver on the Noordam. 

Still have to mess with the Canadian Covid testing rules and CanApp?

On 9/4/2022 at 4:21 PM, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

The first Arrive Can attestation is the arrival into Canada.    Government regulations also stipulate another ArriveCan attestation for all cruise ship embarkations.  Hint, entry by Marine, Vancouver Cruise Ship Operations.  Enter date of your cruise.  Note if you are not returning to Canada, use same date for date of arrival.  The reference number provided is then added to the Verifly app for Holland.

I was just on the Zaandam Canada/NE cruise and only did ArriveCan once to cover my flight into Montreal. I was not asked to do it again the next day to board the ship. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, Roz said:

Has this been discussed?  I saw it on HAL' s website.  If I understand it correctly, essentially testing requirements are gone and unvaxed passengers may sail. Unvaxed passengers still have to present a negative test.

Simplified Cruising

We have relaxed our global protocols and travel requirements. *Starting on Sept. 6, 2022, all travelers are invited to cruise with us, regardless of vaccination status.

Vaccinations are not required on most voyages. Vaccinated guests will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to show proof of vaccination. Unvaccinated guests are welcome aboard with a self-administered COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of embarkation.

Some voyages require Enhanced Protocols. Before you cruise, check our  Enhanced Protocols PDF to find out if if your voyage requires additional health regulation requirements.

If your voyage is not included on the Enhanced Protocols PDF, you can learn more about guidelines specific to your destination here

So, here is the problem:  we have both had both of the first two shots and then the two boosters.  The CDC doesn't recommend booster #3 and neither does our doctor.  Apparently, there is not even a booster #3 according to the CDC.   We do not want another booster in any case.   So, problem:  are we fully vaccinated?

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

I was just on the Zaandam Canada/NE cruise and only did ArriveCan once to cover my flight into Montreal. I was not asked to do it again the next day to board the ship. 

I don’t know why as it is a requirement according to Health Canada.  However this requirement maybe varied depending on the cruise itinerary 

9 minutes ago, kenphy said:

So, here is the problem:  we have both had both of the first two shots and then the two boosters.  The CDC doesn't recommend booster #3 and neither does our doctor.  Apparently, there is not even a booster #3 according to the CDC.   We do not want another booster in any case.   So, problem:  are we fully vaccinated?

Yes, you are fully vaccinated.  You only needed one booster to meet the requirement.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

Yes, you are fully vaccinated.  You only needed one booster to meet the requirement.  

Thanks   HAL told us we couldn't go on the July Alaska cruise without the second booster, because our first booster was more than four months before.  We are asking now because we have a May 2023 cruise - but who can possibly predict what they ar going to do by then.   

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

There is no requirement for ArriveCAN if you board the ship in Canada and disembark in another country, with no reentry to Canada within the itinerary.  ArriveCAN is only for arrivals.  It’s nice to hear that Zaandam and HAL got it right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kenphy said:

Thanks   HAL told us we couldn't go on the July Alaska cruise without the second booster, because our first booster was more than four months before.  We are asking now because we have a May 2023 cruise - but who can possibly predict what they ar going to do by then.   

Who at HAL said you needed a 2nd booster?  Here's what the HAL website says:

VACCINATION: All guests 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated. A booster dose is required for guests 18 years of age and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 5 months to be considered “fully vaccinated.” Only one booster dose is needed to be considered fully vaccinated.

Moreover, it's 5 months from the 2nd shot of the initial series, not 4 months.

11 hours ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

I don’t know why as it is a requirement according to Health Canada.  However this requirement maybe varied depending on the cruise itinerary 

The Canadian requirements are quite different depending on the itinerary.

A Canada/NE cruise typically has only Canadian ports, then it leaves Canada and does not return (finishes in the US). The only ArriveCan need in that case is for a foreign traveler when flying/driving into Canada - no second one for embarkation.

If the itinerary leaves Canada but then returns to Canada (as is common for Vancouver - Alaska roundtrips, then a second ArriveCan is indeed needed prior to embarkation on the ship.

You have to read the applicable dropdown on the Canada cruise ship website:         https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Pre-embarkation testing is required in all cases for cruises departing from or stopping in Canada.

(The HAL Enhanced Protocols, which require a booster for some cruises depending on the elapsed time since full vaccination, appear to be a HAL requirement - there is no Canadian requirement for boosters to be considered fully vaxed at this point.)

Just in case someone else asks ... 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

The Canadian requirements are quite different depending on the itinerary.

A Canada/NE cruise typically has only Canadian ports, then it leaves Canada and does not return (finishes in the US). The only ArriveCan need in that case is for a foreign traveler when flying/driving into Canada - no second one for embarkation.

If the itinerary leaves Canada but then returns to Canada (as is common for Vancouver - Alaska roundtrips, then a second ArriveCan is indeed needed prior to embarkation on the ship.

You have to read the applicable dropdown on the Canada cruise ship website:         https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Pre-embarkation testing is required in all cases for cruises departing from or stopping in Canada.

(The HAL Enhanced Protocols, which require a booster for some cruises depending on the elapsed time since full vaccination, appear to be a HAL requirement - there is no Canadian requirement for boosters to be considered fully vaxed at this point.)

Just in case someone else asks ... 🍺🥌

Thank you for the clarification of ArriveCan applications specific to cruises that START in Canada but disembark in the US, like the Canada/NE cruises. That was my understanding as well

This is what I read for ArriveCAN...August 18, 2022 update.  I read it as needing a second submission:  (my highlighting)

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

"Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.:"

By my understanding, it clearly says a second submission if you are arriving from outside Canada to cruise.  Canadians would only need one submission 72 hours or less before embarkation.