Observations from the Poop Deck Seashore September

morpheusofthesea

All in all it has been another great cruise on board the Seashore. Every time we come it has been a different experience. We discovered some trivialities, like the name of the MSC mascot is "Do-Re-Mi". That we cannot get off the ship until Customs and Immigration clear the "Down Liners". These are passengers that did not board the ship in Miami (maybe they missed the departure on Saturday and caught up to the ship at the next port of call). That calling 'MSC central' about which Terminal the ship will sail from or return to, will get you the wrong information. Found out that even the ship doesn't know until the day before when it gets an email what terminal to dock at. Of course all the above postings can be changed by the time your cruise takes place too.  In conclusion, MSC Yacht Club 'works' for us and we recommend everyone should give it a try.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

No. Cabin #16026 is quite large and must have its own air conditioning unit with two thermostats.. We had to raise the temperature gauge because it was too cold. We kept the thermostat at half way with one blue(cool) light and one red (warm) light. OR we just had very considerate neighbors that never kept their balcony doors open.

I think you must be right regarding the separate a/c unit.  Your cabin was just around the corner from ours last week with only one cabin in between.  It was the one in between who had their door open all the time.  I must say that the ONE night we slept comfortably (the neighbors must have forgotten to open their door) I actually needed covers.  This tells me the A/C has the ability to work.  We were in 16030.

image.png.f3094a47ddf3f80d709bb72efcf0ce8c.png 

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My goodness your week FLEW by...just like ours!  Enjoyed your observations from the poop deck.  Safe travels.

We have discovered that the remedy to the end of cruise 'blues' is to have another cruise booked just weeks away, to look forward to, as one rolls down the gangway.

• Like 4

Morpheus:

a few questions, did you use the laundry services? If so what is the turn around time? 

i know there was a post about sun beds or the large loungers at the YC pool, but can’t seem to find it. Is there a way to reserve them, how are they allocated?

Are dress Bermuda shorts permitted in the YC restaurant in the evening, with a jacket?

My husband has some mobility issues and wears a brace at times which does not fit under trousers, hence my question about Bermuda shorts.

thanks in advance

51 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Morpheus:

a few questions, did you use the laundry services? If so what is the turn around time? 

i know there was a post about sun beds or the large loungers at the YC pool, but can’t seem to find it. Is there a way to reserve them, how are they allocated?

Are dress Bermuda shorts permitted in the YC restaurant in the evening, with a jacket?

My husband has some mobility issues and wears a brace at times which does not fit under trousers, hence my question about Bermuda shorts.

thanks in advance

Even with 12 suitcases filled with too much, DW used laundry. 24 to 48 hours, unless 'express' could be same day. Butler questioned us on 'express' DW wrote on an out going dinner jacket of mine and when I would require it. Got it back following day, without express.

One might want to wait on reserving any loungers/pergolas. Weather, etc... There are plenty of everything on the One Pool deck. Found out that the Owners suites (2) and Royal Suites (2) will be getting complimentary pergolas on the new Seascape as well. The others are first come first serve, and there are chair hogs here as well. Of course the other available pergolas can be reserved (only be bothered to reserve one on a sea day) and pick the perfect one out the morning of to determine sun/shade/wind before breakfast. Last cruise the only cabanas that were fully booked in advance were those at Ocean House. 

Sorry, but boys wear shorts and men wear pants, with or without a jacket. But there are those that frequent the YC restaurant with no respect for themselves or others and they wear shorts. A cruise is not a camping trip. Dressing for dinner is a case of self-respect and respect for others. Not dressing up is just the 'way' other countries wish to view the Americans as classless bumpkins. "But it is the Caribbean".  Those living south of our border take great offense of our north American attitude toward these nation states. I was confronted years ago with the statement that the people that live there do not live in the trees and dress in loin cloth. They too, have self respect and respect for others and dress when they venture out for dinner.  But in your husband's case we will all make an exception.

• Like 2

One of these days you will tell us WHAT DW puts in those 12 suitcases?  It is sorted - shoes in one, trousers in the other... or 1 per day so all outfits for the day in that case.  Many of us (ok, maybe just me) are curious 😊

PS - totally agree on no shorts in Dining Room at dinner.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

One of these days you will tell us WHAT DW puts in those 12 suitcases?  It is sorted - shoes in one, trousers in the other... or 1 per day so all outfits for the day in that case.  Many of us (ok, maybe just me) are curious 😊

PS - totally agree on no shorts in Dining Room at dinner.  

Nope, you are not the only one who is curious.  If we took 12 suitcases I'm certain I'd have nothing left in my closet.  LOL  

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"...first come first serve, and there are chair hogs here as well."

Anyone who hogs a pergola on a cruise with Morpheus takes their life in their hands.

Given his knack for pergola remodeling, he'll slip the deck crew a few bills and faster than you can say, "Amontillado," no one will see the pergola hogs (or the pergola) again...

Mortar.gif.c6fc27c25d46e6fc3dadcd7061614e93.gif

Edited by no1talks
Synonym trouble.
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, no1talks said:

Anyone who hogs a pergola on a cruise with Morpheus takes their life in their hands.

Given his knack for pergola remodeling, he'll slip the deck crew a few bills and faster than you can say, "Amontillado," no one will see the pergola hogs (or the pergola) again...

Mortar.gif.c6fc27c25d46e6fc3dadcd7061614e93.gif

"Nemo me impune lacessit !"

Edited by morpheusofthesea

On 9/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Even with 12 suitcases filled with too much, DW used laundry. 24 to 48 hours, unless 'express' could be same day. Butler questioned us on 'express' DW wrote on an out going dinner jacket of mine and when I would require it. Got it back following day, without express.

One might want to wait on reserving any loungers/pergolas. Weather, etc... There are plenty of everything on the One Pool deck. Found out that the Owners suites (2) and Royal Suites (2) will be getting complimentary pergolas on the new Seascape as well. The others are first come first serve, and there are chair hogs here as well. Of course the other available pergolas can be reserved (only be bothered to reserve one on a sea day) and pick the perfect one out the morning of to determine sun/shade/wind before breakfast. Last cruise the only cabanas that were fully booked in advance were those at Ocean House. 

Sorry, but boys wear shorts and men wear pants, with or without a jacket. But there are those that frequent the YC restaurant with no respect for themselves or others and they wear shorts. A cruise is not a camping trip. Dressing for dinner is a case of self-respect and respect for others. Not dressing up is just the 'way' other countries wish to view the Americans as classless bumpkins. "But it is the Caribbean".  Those living south of our border take great offense of our north American attitude toward these nation states. I was confronted years ago with the statement that the people that live there do not live in the trees and dress in loin cloth. They too, have self respect and respect for others and dress when they venture out for dinner.  But in your husband's case we will all make an exception.

Wow, this was my favourite thread until I read this post, I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not, but I can tell you I wore shorts in the dining room, designer dress Chino shorts and short sleeve fitted dress shirts. I was ten times more dressed than some of the old people with their 1980's style beige 'pants', oversized poorly tailored striped shirts and ugly shoes. I saw several guests wearing clothes that I wouldn't send to a charity shop because they were too ugly.

I suppose it depends on your age but it certainly has nothing to do with class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, 77red96 said:

Wow, this was my favourite thread until I read this post, I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not, but I can tell you I wore shorts in the dining room, designer dress Chino shorts and short sleeve fitted dress shirts. I was ten times more dressed than some of the old people with their 1980's style beige 'pants', oversized poorly tailored striped shirts and ugly shoes. I saw several guests wearing clothes that I wouldn't send to a charity shop because they were too ugly.

I suppose it depends on your age but it certainly has nothing to do with class.

Wow so you weren't thrown out? Or asked to cover your knees?

Or sit in the timeout corner?

I am very confused now about the required dress.

• Like 1

Just thought I would post comparing Dress Codes between MSC and Celebrity.
"Everyday life
For everyday life on board, casual wear is recommended. We also recommend you bring a pullover or shawl to help with the changes in temperature between the air-conditioned interior of the ship and the deck areas
Informal evenings
For informal evenings, we recommend summery dresses for women and a lightweight jacket for men
Gala evenings
For Gala evenings, the dress code is more formal. We suggest a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie for men and a dressy outfit, formal gown, or cocktail dress for women.
Theme parties
We organize various daytime and evening Theme Parties on board. You may wish to bring 60s and 70s floral gear for the Flower Glory Party, white clothing for the White Party, and something green, white and red for the our MSC Little Italy entertainment"
"Public nudity is not permitted. Guests must be appropriately attired, including while on stateroom balconies if visible to others onboard, other vessels, or the shore. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except on select itineraries and for those itineraries, only in specifically designated areas. For more details on our Dress Code, please contact Guest Relations.
Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening."

Not according to Miss Manners: https://www.washingtonpost.com/advice/2022/06/14/miss-manners-friend-t-shirt-shorts/

"Dear Miss Manners: We have a close friend who is really one of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet. His family and ours often get together for dinners at each other’s homes, restaurants, etc.

The problem, which causes some of us a bit of embarrassment, is that his “dress” is always shorts and a T-shirt. Dinners with guests beyond our group, holiday meals, outings at nice restaurants (including some that in past years would not have let him in dressed that way) — the same shorts and T-shirt.

In all other respects, he is a kind, friendly, wonderful, outgoing person. Is there any way that you can suggest to politely address this with him?"

"There's a dress code: long pants and sleeved shirts. I hope you don’t mind.”

That people do mind, vehemently, has always puzzled Miss Manners. Everyone claims to dress only for comfort or self-expression, but at the same time, everyone is using clothing choice as a way of sizing up others."

"Your friend may well mind, claiming that you don’t value him for his real self (which you obviously do). You will have to decide whether it is worthwhile to explain to him that clothing is a visible symbolic system and that not conforming to basic standards is interpreted as lack of respect.

Or you can just stop being embarrassed for him. You are not responsible for his choices."

According to etiquette expert."Jeans of any sort should not be worn in nice restaurants. They pollute the landscape. They should also not be worn in the workplace if no other workers wear them. However, if your office is casual, go for it."Letitia Baldrige

"We all judge. It is the most natural human tendency. Anybody who says they don’t judge are lying. We’re all judging all the time. Every opinion you have is a judgement in itself – whether good or bad. Judging is perceiving."  Ankush Bahuguna

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."

"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?

"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."