New COVID protocols in effect - How many pax were denied boarding?

kasimir

Since the updated COVID (sail safe) protocols are in effect since yesterday (Sep 2nd), I am wondering how many pax have been denied boarding because they have not gotten the information that for specific cruises (like Alaska, Bermuda, Canada cruises etc..) your still required to be fully vaccinated? 

Anyone has information on this or saw people being denied when boarding a cruise this weekend? 

Edited by kasimir

• kasimir changed the title to New COVID protocols in effect - How many pax were denied boarding?

Everyone in the free world has been aware of covid restrictions is various parts of our lives.   I cannot imagine anyone who has decided to invest in a cruise would not be vigilant in checking the cruise lines’ website for specifics.  We just returned from the Starbon Sunday and we received multiple emails from NCL about changing requirements and reminders of that up until a few days prior.  People missing a cruise because they were uninformed is the newer version of not knowing you needed a passport.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Everyone in the free world has been aware of covid restrictions is various parts of our lives.   I cannot imagine anyone who has decided to invest in a cruise would not be vigilant in checking the cruise lines’ website for specifics.  We just returned from the Starbon Sunday and we received multiple emails from NCL about changing requirements and reminders of that up until a few days prior.  People missing a cruise because they were uninformed is the newer version of not knowing you needed a passport.

After all the big marketing and announcements of the past couple of weeks that the vaccination requirements are gone, you will always have people that do not read the fine print. 

To compare this with passport requirements is apples and oranges, the Covid requirements seem to be changing on a monthly basis and there is a lot of confusion as well. 

Case in point from the latest post here:

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

This week saw an increase of passengers denied boarding due to erroneously believing that the vaccination requirement was dropped.  Vaccinations are still required due to the port-of-call in Canada. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kasimir said:

Since the updated COVID (sail safe) protocols are in effect since yesterday (Sep 2nd), I am wondering how many pax have been denied boarding because they have not gotten the information that for specific cruises (like Alaska, Bermuda, Canada cruises etc..) your still required to be fully vaccinated? 

Anyone has information on this or saw people being denied when boarding a cruise this weekend? 

None

i have got multiple emails for each of our upcoming cruises with the protocols required (including cruises to Bermuda and Canada). 

You can still go to Bermuda, but you are required to pay NCL to test you if you want to get off the ship (in some cases). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

NCL sends multiple emails informing of the geographic protocols for the cruise you’re booked on.  Anyone denied boarding because they didn’t read any of them should blame no one but themselves. Can’t believe there would be more than one or two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kasimir said:

NCL's new Sail Safe protocols went into effect today, September 3, not yesterday so you're a little early to be asking the question.

FYI, you are now permitted to cruise to Bermuda while unvaccinated. You will be required to take additional COVID tests to do so and to have travel health insurance. 

Bermuda changed its rules to permit unvaccinated passengers almost two weeks before NCL changed its rules to permit them.

I just got letters for 2 upcoming cruises, 1 to Alaska in about 3 weeks, 1 to Europe in late October.  Same letter, dated September 2.  I also got a letter for the Alaska cruise earlier this month (dated August 11), with the September 3 requirements.

So no reason to believe that anyone sailing today didn't get notified, at least once, of the requirements.

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

Also saw a couple of posts regarding boarding delays in Seattle, people blaming the backup on unprepared passengers.

I think those had to do with passengers not having done the Arrive Canada app stuff which has to be done prior to boarding. 

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

NCL's new Sail Safe protocols went into effect today, September 3, not yesterday so you're a little early to be asking the question.

FYI, you are now permitted to cruise to Bermuda while unvaccinated. You will be required to take additional COVID tests to do so and to have travel health insurance. 

Bermuda changed its rules to permit unvaccinated passengers almost two weeks before NCL changed its rules to permit them.

Thanks for the clarification. 

Let’s see how things pan out, but it seems things are going fairly smoothly. 

We are cruising Tuesday to Alaska, I’ll keep my eye out on this and report back. As others have mentioned, however, NCL has sent us multiple emails in regards to this and I mean FOUR just last week so if people ignore those emails and believe me, I’m tempted to do it when I’m sent the same information, then they have only themselves to blame.

I want to say I’m amazed but I’m not, people wing it all the time and sometimes those wings get clipped. We flew in today to Seattle and they were 14 people on our plane that did not make their cruise which was leaving today and why? Our plane was delayed for over four hours, brought back to the gate and these people must’ve been freaking out…we arrived when they were supposed to already be on the ship so a poor choice cost them plenty but hopefully they’ve learned to fly in the day before!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vtgumby said:

We are cruising Tuesday to Alaska, I’ll keep my eye out on this and report back. As others have mentioned, however, NCL has sent us multiple emails in regards to this and I mean FOUR just last week so if people ignore those emails and believe me, I’m tempted to do it when I’m sent the same information, then they have only themselves to blame.

I want to say I’m amazed but I’m not, people wing it all the time and sometimes those wings get clipped. We flew in today to Seattle and they were 14 people on our plane that did not make their cruise which was leaving today and why? Our plane was delayed for over four hours, brought back to the gate and these people must’ve been freaking out…we arrived when they were supposed to already be on the ship so a poor choice cost them plenty but hopefully they’ve learned to fly in the day before!

Indeed, I think people underestimate the percentage  of folks that don't seem to have common sense (for a lack of better wording). 

There is a reason why airlines overbook planes by 5-10%, as they expect no-shows all the time. I wonder what the average of no-shows or denied boarding (for whatever reason) are on cruise ships.

Looking forward to hear from your observation on Tuesday.