Rookie Laundry Question

nextariel

6 minutes ago, nextariel said:

Is there detergent available or do you need to purchase?

Are there various kinds of detergent (due to allergies)?

Do you need quarters? Can you use your room card?

Is there an ironing board?

You get unscented detergent included when you start the machine (press the button), no quarters, no need for room card, yes to ironing board. Whole process is fast, simple, efficient. 😄

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

You get unscented detergent included when you start the machine (press the button), no quarters, no need for room card, yes to ironing board. Whole process is fast, simple, efficient. 😄

And there is a TV in the laundry room so you can watch something when you iron.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Can someone explain the symbols on the washer and dryer instructions? The pics that I've seen posted look totally foreign to me with no explanation. Thanks!

The short answer is “no”!  Have been on 3 Ocean cruises and have never figured them out nor have I spoken to anyone who has ~ and that includes one Viking crew member who I asked!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

Can someone explain the symbols on the washer and dryer instructions? The pics that I've seen posted look totally foreign to me with no explanation. Thanks!

A search for "Viking laundry instructions" turned up this thread - post #32 has one version of the icons displayed (may be different on other ships), with text boxes added for clarification.

image.png.00ffe3d694143d159f9cdcb3e2a35b3c.png

May help. 🍺🥌

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

A search for "Viking laundry instructions" turned up this thread - post #32 has one version of the icons displayed (may be different on other ships), with text boxes added for clarification.

image.png.00ffe3d694143d159f9cdcb3e2a35b3c.png

May help. 🍺🥌

THANK YOU!!! I remember seeing this but couldn't find it!!!

23 hours ago, nextariel said:

Is there detergent available or do you need to purchase?

Are there various kinds of detergent (due to allergies)?

Do you need quarters? Can you use your room card?

Is there an ironing board?

Due to being allergic to laundry,I send it out 😁

• Haha 2

I’m glad to see my text-added instructions being used. I’m so sensitive to scents in detergent that I can’t use the “unscented” detergent that Viking provides for free in the laundry room. I bring unscented laundry detergent pods from home. I tried washing my pajamas in the Viking detergent and the faint scent kept me awake. I also bring unscented dryer sheets. 

4 hours ago, Gibsontravels said:

I’m glad to see my text-added instructions being used. I’m so sensitive to scents in detergent that I can’t use the “unscented” detergent that Viking provides for free in the laundry room. I bring unscented laundry detergent pods from home. I tried washing my pajamas in the Viking detergent and the faint scent kept me awake. I also bring unscented dryer sheets. 

It must be something else because I too am chemically sensitive and experience no scent from their unscented soap. However, I have frequently noticed a scent in the dryers from people who use scented dryer sheets! I bring unscented dryer sheets.

44 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

It must be something else because I too am chemically sensitive and experience no scent from their unscented soap. However, I have frequently noticed a scent in the dryers from people who use scented dryer sheets! I bring unscented dryer sheets.

Maybe my pajamas picked up the scent from the previous person’s dryer load. I’ve never seen a sign saying not to use dryer sheets.  But I have read that they don’t want you to use scented laundry detergent.  I try to be considerate of all the laundry users!

Dryer sheets can and do leave a residue on the dryer drum. Google it! 🤔

Not that it is important here but the residue can wreck havoc on the dryer's sensors.

I too thought that Viking has asked pax not use dryer sheets. It only stands to reason that some residual would be left behind and that the next load would pick that up.