Evening Chic on a transatlantic

Abernhar

Hi!

soon going on a 14 night transatlantic.

I normally like to dress Nice, but i dont like to overdress…. (Love to NOT bring my dress - just wearing nice pants and buttomup shirts.

on sailing in the caribbean the Evening Chic is  relaxed with only a few in dresses/tux.

but how does this play out on a transatlantic sailing in colder waters and with a ( i assume)higher awerage age?

Edited by Abernhar

Just now, Abernhar said:

Hi!

soon going on a 14 night transatlantic.

I normally like to dress Nice, but i dont like to overdress…. (Love to NOT bring my dress - just wearing nice pants and buttomup shirts.

on sailing in the caribbean the Evening Chic is  relaxed with only a few in dresses/tux.

but how does this play out on a transatlantic sailing in colder waters and with a higher awerage age?

Wear what you like.  In my experience, no need to dress any differently. A few dress formally but not the majority.  I usually sail worn the higher average age - includes me.  

• Thanks 1

The ‘directives’ for TA’s are the same as the Caribbean cruises; what is described by the OP fits just fine. TA’s do have more dress-up, but the great majority is pretty much the same…..probably less those trying the shorts and T’s, but the majority by far is pants and nice top. 

My wife usually brings what I call Chic Chico’s. Nice loose pants and a pretty sometimes glittery top with fun jewelry. I sometimes wear a sport jacket/blazer for a TA because I do enjoy one, and wear a bow tie for fun, but most nights, slacks and collared shirt.  

I dont normally wear a dress. tired of shaving and people start to stare with those little t-paper pieces on my legs!

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Also hard to underdress.  DW and I wear Birkenstocks (with matching socks), fancy top and black pants for DWand dress shirt with kakhis and sports coat for me.  On a recent TA there was everything from Tshirts (that looked awfully tacky) to tuxedos.   No longer matters but hopefully one can dress like going to a nice restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Also hard to underdress.  DW and I wear Birkenstocks (with matching socks), fancy top and black pants for DWand dress shirt with kakhis and sports coat for me.  On a recent TA there was everything from Tshirts (that looked awfully tacky) to tuxedos.   No longer matters but hopefully one can dress like going to a nice restaurant. 

I would Hope! your socks on each foot Match!! How tacky if one’s black and the other is Puce ( I love that word but no idea what ‘color’ it is!).  

I Always try to make sure my socks are the same color. Sometimes one is ankle height and the other is a knee sock….but at least the match in color!!!

Den

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Denny01 said:

The ‘directives’ for TA’s are the same as the Caribbean cruises; what is described by the OP fits just fine. TA’s do have more dress-up, but the great majority is pretty much the same…..probably less those trying the shorts and T’s, but the majority by far is pants and nice top. 

My wife usually brings what I call Chic Chico’s. Nice loose pants and a pretty sometimes glittery top with fun jewelry. I sometimes wear a sport jacket/blazer for a TA because I do enjoy one, and wear a bow tie for fun, but most nights, slacks and collared shirt.  

I dont normally wear a dress. tired of shaving and people start to stare with those little t-paper pieces on my legs!

Den

Not shaving your legs and after Celebrity went to such great expense to put that lovely bar across the corner of the shower cubicle to make it easier for you. 

The boss (Anita) is in the Chic Chico's group.

I don't even bring a jacket but always a long sleeved open neck shirt, matching socks and a selection of Union Jack/Cross of St George bow ties.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, sheeng said:

Denny - I laughed aloud! I’m also a Chic Chicos person! 🤗. See you soon on Edge.

Sheila.

Hilarious! DH asked the other day whether I needed to get any clothes for our upcoming TA. I said I was probably set, but would probably pop into Chicos for a couple new dressy tops. We "women of a certain age" are certainly predictable!

I have done several TA's on Viking. When you start or end up in Europe I find that people dress up more than Caribbean. Probably because if you spend time in Europe you are dressing differently than in the Caribbean. I would say at least a third to half the men were wearing jackets in the evening (in specialty rest. or MDR) on our cruises. Not necessarily ties. And lots of women in dresses but not required at all.

You could get by with nice trousers, dressy top and some dressy shoes and jewelry. I would recommend a sport coat/jacket for men. Much nicer to wear that in Europe than a fleece during the day and you don't stick out so much as American. Same with not wearing sports team logo wear, white sneakers, jeans and baseball hats.

If you are not spending time in Europe I guess your husband could skip the jacket.

We feel more comfortable being dressed appropriately to slightly overdressed as opposed to being the most casually dressed folks in a venue. But that's us.

• Like 2

For us, part of the fun is getting dressed up for “formal night” ( Not sure what it is called now). As retirees we rarely get dressed up anymore, so it’s a fun change of pace. I even bought the hubby a tux for our first transatlantic coming up in October. We might be in the minority but we don’t care. We enjoy seeing others in their finery as well. With that said, that is just us. To each his/her own.

• Like 5

We went over in the Spring on the Apex. Hubby had a jacket, but no tie, I had skirts and dressy blouses. There were a few gowns and tuxes, but not many. 

Now that the Airlines charge so much for luggage, the weight of formal clothes does not make sense when flying. My gown weighs about 8 lbs, then add the shoes, gloves, etc and the same for Hubby.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 9:56 PM, dleahy4444 said:

For us, part of the fun is getting dressed up for “formal night” ( Not sure what it is called now). As retirees we rarely get dressed up anymore, so it’s a fun change of pace. I even bought the hubby a tux for our first transatlantic coming up in October. We might be in the minority but we don’t care. We enjoy seeing others in their finery as well. With that said, that is just us. To each his/her own.

I love this! We love to dress also maybe I will take my Tux next trip, always loved wearing one. Its sad when the crew are out dressing the guests. When I pay over $10,000 for a cruise the last thing I am going to worry about is a extra $100-$200 for extra luggage. Yes it is Fun!

Edited by southernbreezes
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, Keys Kathy said:

We went over in the Spring on the Apex. Hubby had a jacket, but no tie, I had skirts and dressy blouses. There were a few gowns and tuxes, but not many. 

Now that the Airlines charge so much for luggage, the weight of formal clothes does not make sense when flying. My gown weighs about 8 lbs, then add the shoes, gloves, etc and the same for Hubby.

We haven't brought formal clothes along for many years now.  

It's not just the expense from the airlines but the more we travel the less we want to lug around a multitude of suitcases.  We try each time to bring a bit less....and still have just as much fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We dropped the long dresses, suit or tux long ago and moved to short cocktail dress, sport jacket & tie.  That lasted awhile and now our goal for the TA next month is to travel with only carry on's.  There won't be any dresses, sport jackets, or ties.  Nice slacks and top for both of us, worn more than once - thankfully they have dry cleaning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southernbreezes said:

I love this! We love to dress also maybe I will take my Tux next trip, always loved wearing one. Its sad when the crew are out dressing the guests. When I pay over $10,000 for a cruise the last thing I am going to worry about is a extra $100-$200 for extra luggage. Yes it is Fun!

My 34 year old and his fiancé just went on their second cruise and are quickly becoming cruise fanatics ( the apple doesn’t fall far the tree lol). They love to dress up for formal night. A bit surprising considering their age. You tell to think of it for the older set. But they have fun with it. They take plenty of pictures and enjoy looking sharp

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

We dropped the long dresses, suit or tux long ago and moved to short cocktail dress, sport jacket & tie.  That lasted awhile and now our goal for the TA next month is to travel with only carry on's.  There won't be any dresses, sport jackets, or ties.  Nice slacks and top for both of us, worn more than once - thankfully they have dry cleaning.

We are traveling through Europe for 12 days before the transatlantic  so laundry and luggage are certainly a concern. Still we will make room for at least one cocktail dress and the tux. It will be our first transatlantic so we want to make it feel special. But as I said earlier, it’s a personal choice. We welcome the opportunity to play dress up, but it isn’t for everyone.