Townsville

Mrs f.

Our ship will be in Townsville Australia.   According to what's in port, it's an easy walk into town. Looking at Google maps, it doesn't look so easy. we would like to get to the Strand/Beach area.

Anybody know if this is walkable for older people....in December.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

Our ship will be in Townsville Australia.   According to what's in port, it's an easy walk into town. Looking at Google maps, it doesn't look so easy. we would like to get to the Strand/Beach area.

Anybody know if this is walkable for older people....in December.  Thanks.

It will be very humid and hot in Townsville in December. Google maps shows about a 40 minute walk which will be quite taxing. I would suggest a taxi or Uber or there may be a shuttle into the CBD,

That's what I thought. Thanks.  I emailed the Visitors Center and they said 15 min walk.  Our cruise line usually has shuttle busses but Townsville is listed as a "short walk into town".

This a map I found from 2019 for cruise ship passengers to Townsville. It states on it is a1.8km (1.1mile) walk from the cruise ship terminal to the city. It is another kilometre or so to the Strand/beach from there. There is no way, you could walk that far in 15 minutes, particularly in hot, humid weather. The map also mentions a shuttle from the ship into the city. I assume you are on either a Oceania or a Viking ship looking at the cruise ship schedule for Townsville. I would contact your cruise company and ask them it shuttles will be provided. If not, take a taxi.

Townsville Cruise Ship Passenger Map

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Suggestion - Wear a wide brimmed hat and take water with you.  It is a lovely walk along the waterfront.  

Marion, the question was not about walking along the waterfront but walking from the cruise terminal to the waterfront.