How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

23 hours ago, drwbrt said:

Thanks for the response.  One more question if I may.  Does anyone know if there is a limit in how many "tiers" of upgrade are allowed?  Can you bid from Inside to Suite?  On NCL it was 2-tiers max.  So a balcony could get into the Haven, but an inside could only get into a balcony.

I was offered 6 tiers of suite upgrade from a RC mini suite: sky, owner's, penthouse (aft), penthouse, premium, vista.  I bid on the lower 3 only

I bid on a balcony for our cruise to Alaska leaving tomorrow, it was above minimum bid and never heard anything back at all.   In the past I have gotten emails stating our bid was not accepted.   Oh well will have a good time anyways....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrsihopes said:

I bid on a balcony for our cruise to Alaska leaving tomorrow, it was above minimum bid and never heard anything back at all.   In the past I have gotten emails stating our bid was not accepted.   Oh well will have a good time anyways....

Yes!!!  Enjoy the wonder and beauty of Alaska!

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:35 PM, dreams_of_travel said:

Yes, I bid on a regular balcony, and won a mini suite.  I have no explanation how that happened, but it will be nice to have the extra space and couch.

Is the bid amount per day pp or per cruise pp? For example $35pp for the entire cruise not $35 pp per day? TIA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, happywhencruising said:

That really is a good deal if they accept a near the minimum bid! Thx

The minimum for an upgrade on our sailing from ocean view to deluxe ocean view was $15.  They are forward facing cabins with a balcony that is only accessible in port. I understand the steward will lock and unlock the doors accordingly. But I also understood the ride up there can get quite bumpy. The other two upgrades we were offered carried minimum bids around $300-350. PP per cruise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

The minimum for an upgrade on our sailing from ocean view to deluxe ocean view was $15.  They are forward facing cabins with a balcony that is only accessible in port. I understand the steward will lock and unlock the doors accordingly. But I also understood the ride up there can get quite bumpy. The other two upgrades we were offered carried minimum bids around $300-350. PP per cruise.

A deluxe ocean view does not have a balcony...they have windows only.

The ones with a balcony are deluxe obstructed view balcony cabins....and rarely are those doors locked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

A deluxe ocean view does not have a balcony...they have windows only.

The ones with a balcony are deluxe obstructed view balcony cabins....and rarely are those doors locked.

Actually, looking at my Princess emails, the term they used was “premium” ocean view.  I wasn’t quite sure which cabins qualified but wanted to exclude the forward facing ones.  I’ve never been in one, but have read a couple reviews where the stewards did lock and unlock.  A balcony for $15 seemed pretty cheap even if it was only in port. But my wife would not have been happy with that location.

Likewise, I was invited to bid on a “premium” balcony. Again, I wasn’t sure which those were, but really just wanted a cabin with a balcony that we could access while underway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

We were on a forward mini-suite (one with a balcony as large as the room!!!) and they never locked the balcony door. There is a warning sticker on the sliding glass door. We tried going out a couple times when making the crossing. Ridiculous winds....but never thought I was going to get blown overboard.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

We were on a forward mini-suite (one with a balcony as large as the room!!!) and they never locked the balcony door. There is a warning sticker on the sliding glass door. We tried going out a couple times when making the crossing. Ridiculous winds....but never thought I was going to get blown overboard.

How was the motion in that cabin?  I am not bothered by rocking or up and down but my wife is prone to seasickness. 

4 hours ago, BamaVol said:

good information! Thx

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

How was the motion in that cabin?  I am not bothered by rocking or up and down but my wife is prone to seasickness. 

When the seas were rough you could definitely feel it. I have not been bothered by motion sickness....however, I sure was the very first day on that trip. But the whole ship was rocking. Finally, after the Dramamine kicked in I was fine the rest of the way. It was pretty rough for two days. Lots of spilled drinks as people were trying to walk around. One of those situations where it was kinda funny...but kinda not.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how good Princess is at sending the email whether or not they accepted your bid?

We are sailing in 2 days, and our bid is still showing as "pending".  I'm starting to think we will not get the "declined" email.

9 hours ago, bemis12 said:

Does anyone know how good Princess is at sending the email whether or not they accepted your bid?

We are sailing in 2 days, and our bid is still showing as "pending".  I'm starting to think we will not get the "declined" email.

we got our email "sorry" two day before sailing, so it should be coming any minute

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 4:01 PM, Italy52 said:

I am wondering about this as well.  I always mark our cabin as "do not upgrade."  However, with this new process, I might be willing to change my mind. 

We didn’t bid and got an upgrade. If I hadn’t checked our account before we left home, we would have had wrong luggage tags. We were happy to get a balcony without paying extra, but they should have sent us a message.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jackiel3290 said:

We didn’t bid and got an upgrade. If I hadn’t checked our account before we left home, we would have had wrong luggage tags. We were happy to get a balcony without paying extra, but they should have sent us a message.

I choose a specific cabin for specific reasons so I don't like being moved without being asked first. They should have a least notified you.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, roxievegas said:

we got our email "sorry" two day before sailing, so it should be coming any minute

Just got our "sorry" email" with 22 hours until the ship sails.  Will still have a great time. 

• Like 2

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already in this thread, but is there anywhere in the cruise personalizer that shows your bids?  In case you want to change, cancel, place another one, etc?  I couldn't find it anywhere so I've just been clicking on the link in the "we got your bid" email.  Can't imagine why it wouldn't be accessible in the personalizer somewhere but it's entirely possible I just missed it.  

1 minute ago, pompeii said:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already in this thread, but is there anywhere in the cruise personalizer that shows your bids?  In case you want to change, cancel, place another one, etc?  I couldn't find it anywhere so I've just been clicking on the link in the "we got your bid" email.  Can't imagine why it wouldn't be accessible in the personalizer somewhere but it's entirely possible I just missed it.  

If you scroll down on the Summary page in the personalizer you'll see "Bid to upgrade your stateroom".  Click on this and then the "Get Started" button, then use your booking reference and last name and click the "Check Eligibility" button to get to the bidding page. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Yea, there is.  Go into the link where you can place a bid, enter your booking number and your last name.  From there, you can see your previous bid and modify it or cancel it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yowman said:

If you scroll down on the Summary page in the personalizer you'll see "Bid to upgrade your stateroom".  Click on this and then the "Get Started" button, then use your booking reference and last name and click the "Check Eligibility" button to get to the bidding page. 

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yea, there is.  Go into the link where you can place a bid, enter your booking number and your last name.  From there, you can see your previous bid and modify it or cancel it.  

Thanks for the answers. Yeah, I’ve done that too. I just figured there might be a place showing your actual bids without having to enter your info again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pompeii said:

Thanks for the answers. Yeah, I’ve done that too. I just figured there might be a place showing your actual bids without having to enter your info again. 

I got an email that shows the bid amount.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

I got an email that shows the bid amount.

10 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Me too. And I kept it.

Yes, thank you.  As mentioned, I've also received that email and that's what I've been using to access my existing bids.

It would appear from the responses that there is no place on the personalizer to simply see your existing bids, like you can with your payment amounts or obc, etc.  Instead, at this point you have to either use the email link or re-enter your name and booking number.  Maybe it's because the bidding process is handled by Plusgrade and not Princess.  Thanks for confirming. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1